Is the decision of what to do with Adam Jones the biggest decision of the offseason?

Sports Guy

Nick is and was a better baseball player...Jones is just coming off a year where he was better.

A 5/70 deal is just terrible for us.

If it's a 5-year deal, $50-55 mm should do it. Remember, Jones isn't a FA for two more years. He would probably only get $6-7 mm for 2012 and $9-10 mm in 2013 if he went to arbitration. If you pay him $33-40 mm for the 3 FA years, that should be ample.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the decision should already have been made to move him. I'd be shocked if he would extend, and I'm not sure we should do it even if he would. The question is when imop.

Is this offseason really the highest his trade value is going to be? Are deals generally bigger in the offseason then at the All Star break - or vise versa? (legit question I don't know the answer too)

If Jones has a big first half, do you think we could get a bigger return at that point then we can right now? I'd expect something similar to what the Astros got for Hunter Pence. What's the harm in waiting til the deadline and hoping he continues to consistentily improve in hopes of a bigger return coming back from a desperate team in contention?

The rule of thumb is that position players get more in the offseason than at the deadline...there will be exceptions.

As you said, Houston got a lot for Pence and Beltran was worth a top pitching prospect.

Is it possible that Jones will be worth more sometime between OD of 2012 and July of 2013(the deadline before he is a FA)? Sure it is. But what are the odds of that being the case? He is a limited offensive player because he doesn't walk and is a free swinger. His defense has been questionable. I don't think its as bad as the defensive stats say it is but I don't think he is much more than average either.

This year, to me, is going to be a typical Jones year...As i have said numerous times, I would expect him to have a few years better than this one and a few years worse than this one..but generally speaking, he will be a 2.5-3.5 WAR player who gives you an 790ish OPS. That's valuable and perhaps, in the next year or 2, he has one of those bigger years and he is worth more than he is right now.

But the combination of him coming off of his best year, him still being 2 years away from FA and still being that type of guy where some teams will look at him and see a guy just coming into his own, is a combo that, to me, screams "trade me".

I think the Orioles could get an excellent package for him...In fact, as I have said before, I think the Orioles will receive MULTIPLE offers that we would all say that they have to make that deal.

If it's a 5-year deal, $50-55 mm should do it. Remember, Jones isn't a FA for two more years. He would probably only get $6-7 mm for 2012 and $9-10 mm in 2013 if he went to arbitration. If you pay him $33-40 mm for the 3 FA years, that should be ample.
I wouldn't do that...I wouldn't extend him for anything unless you can get him for some kind of a 6/8/10/12 contract with a 5th year club option. That's 4/36 and the option can be for like 15 million.

So, essentially I am saying to give him your deal but the 5th year not be guaranteed.

I would be ok with that...I feel there is zero chance Jones signs that and even if he would, trading him is still the better option IMO.

Similar to Hardy. IMO, the contract he signed was a steal for us...but it was still the wrong decision.

Dealing Adam Jones is the single quickest way to move this team in the right direction IMO. Adam Jones is about to get really expensive as he inches closer to a status as a free agent. He also has tremendour potential and that says a lot considering that he is currently an offensive upgrade for many clubs. Depending on how a given organization views Jones, he is also adequate defensively. He is a guy I would hate to lose, but outside of Wieters and maybe Hardy, Jones is the Orioles best trade chip.

San Diego would make a lot of sense as he would be happy to go home and the Padres would likely covet him. They also have the ability to give up enough in return to obtain a guy like Jones. The Orioles have a viable option in Jones, but you have to give up something to get something. I want a package of prospect greater than 2 if both of those guys are not studs. This team needs to fill at least two voids in order to make one. That process should be tempered by adding one or two younger and more risky prospects with solid upside.

A trade for Jones should look something like Castro and Rizzo plus Edinson Rincon OR Rizzo, Luebke and Fuentes/Darnell plus Rincon or Zach Cates. I want a B+, B and B-/Quality C+ prospect in addition to another C-C+ with some upside because all 3 or 4 of those guys are not going to pan out.

Dealing Adam Jones is the single quickest way to move this team in the right direction IMO. Adam Jones is about to get really expensive as he inches closer to a status as a free agent. He also has tremendour potential and that says a lot considering that he is currently an offensive upgrade for many clubs. Depending on how a given organization views Jones, he is also adequate defensively. He is a guy I would hate to lose, but outside of Wieters and maybe Hardy, Jones is the Orioles best trade chip.

San Diego would make a lot of sense as he would be happy to go home and the Padres would likely covet him. They also have the ability to give up enough in return to obtain a guy like Jones. The Orioles have a viable option in Jones, but you have to give up something to get something. I want a package of prospect greater than 2 if both of those guys are not studs. This team needs to fill at least two voids in order to make one. That process should be tempered by adding one or two younger and more risky prospects with solid upside.

A trade for Jones should look something like Castro and Rizzo plus Edinson Rincon OR Rizzo, Luebke and Fuentes/Darnell plus Rincon or Zach Cates. I want a B+, B and B-/Quality C+ prospect in addition to another C-C+ with some upside because all 3 or 4 of those guys are not going to pan out.

I've said it 10 times already, you're saying this without having any idea what offers are out there for Adam.

I agree that trading Jones makes the most sense. I'm not sure how interested San Diego would be though considering they have Maybin in CF. I would look to try to deal him with the Reds who also have some very good young talent at the Major and Minor league level.

If we dealt Jones to San Diego I would want Banks and Headley in the deal.

I've said it 10 times already, you're saying this without having any idea what offers are out there for Adam.

You are right we have no idea what offers are out there for Adam, but we can form a pretty good opinion on what his value would be.

You are right we have no idea what offers are out there for Adam, but we can form a pretty good opinion on what his value would be.

No we can't. We have no idea what his value is. 99% of the posters on here thought that Guthrie should have been traded at the offseason and that we could get someone like Yonder Allonso for him. I'm fairly certain that if this team got offered Alonso for Guthrie, the deal would have been done. Teams may not want to trade for Jones without him signing an extension. Jones may not want to sign an extension with anyone at this point. We do not know the circumstances.

The rest of us are just using common sense.

Like the common sense when 95% of the posters were trying to trade Guthrie for Yonder Alonso at the deadline? Or even yourself SG being mad at MacPhail for not getting more for Koji. You could have been using common sense, you may think that there were betters out there, but you don't know. Chris Davis and Tommy Hunter may have been far and away the best offer that Andy got for Koji. I just don't like it when us as fans assume that a GM could have gotten more in a trade, or assume that a GM should trade a player because we think his trade value is high. Could Dan be getting calls for Adam right now? Sure he could, but if Dan nor Buck thinks it's a deal that is going to benefit the O's, I'm going to trust that it is the truth. I don't think the Orioles are going to pay Adam Jones a boat ton of money or let him walk in free agency if they could get a good deal for him in a trade.

Like the common sense when 95% of the posters were trying to trade Guthrie for Yonder Alonso at the deadline? Or even yourself SG being mad at MacPhail for not getting more for Koji. You could have been using common sense, you may think that there were betters out there, but you don't know. Chris Davis and Tommy Hunter may have been far and away the best offer that Andy got for Koji. I just don't like it when us as fans assume that a GM could have gotten more in a trade, or assume that a GM should trade a player because we think his trade value is high. Could Dan be getting calls for Adam right now? Sure he could, but if Dan nor Buck thinks it's a deal that is going to benefit the O's, I'm going to trust that it is the truth. I don't think the Orioles are going to pay Adam Jones a boat ton of money or let him walk in free agency if they could get a good deal for him in a trade.

SG is often pretty overboard with the trades, but these types of discussions/opinions and speculations are just part of common discussion. Especially so at this time of the year. I don't think we need to mute them because we don't have the inside information and details. Be pretty boring and quiet if that was the criterea.

This thread isn't about what we can get for Adam, it's what to do with him. Meaning, look to trade him, or extend him. If you're not looking to do either, you're clueless. The value of a player is always up for debate, Jones will have practically zero value to us in 2014, so at some point, you need to cash in your chips, regardless of what you can get in return. Now thru the All Star break is probably as good as it's going to get for AJ. If we can't get something good in return now, it's still better then what we'll get 2-1/2 years from now.

Guess you need to stop reading message boards then.

Common sense will tell you that we are talking about trading Jones only if the right deal is there...To even insinuate anything else is idiotic.

If you don't like it, then don't read it because its not going to stop...This is a discussion board and people come here to...DISCUSS!

And Andy M got the best deal he could for Koji...if all he wanted was ML ready players. That was where people were upset.

Guess you need to stop reading message boards then.

Common sense will tell you that we are talking about trading Jones only if the right deal is there...To even insinuate anything else is idiotic.

If you don't like it, then don't read it because its not going to stop...This is a discussion board and people come here to...DISCUSS!

And Andy M got the best deal he could for Koji...if all he wanted was ML ready players. That was where people were upset.

I could be wrong, but I think that Chris Tillman really got MacPhail scared away from trading for AA players with high upside. If you remember the Bedard trade, Chris Tillman was considered just as huge of a piece to the trade as Adam Jones was. He was a top prospect and was supposed to be huge for this team. Now he almost is not even talked about. I agree with you that there may have been some good prospects out there in the minors for Koji, but we will never know.

I am not upset with those who are asking for the Orioles to explore a trade for Jones. I'm upset if anyone is upset if we don't trade Jones without knowing what was out there.

I could be wrong, but I think that Chris Tillman really got MacPhail scared away from trading for AA players with high upside. If you remember the Bedard trade, Chris Tillman was considered just as huge of a piece to the trade as Adam Jones was. He was a top prospect and was supposed to be huge for this team. Now he almost is not even talked about. I agree with you that there may have been some good prospects out there in the minors for Koji, but we will never know.

I am not upset with those who are asking for the Orioles to explore a trade for Jones. I'm upset if anyone is upset if we don't trade Jones without knowing what was out there.

Is there any indication of that at all?

Archived