Joey Votto available?

My O's Face

Are you kidding me? Duquette should be all over this.

This from Buster Onley:

Rival executives getting signals that the Reds won't shop Joey Votto -- but that they are fully prepared to listen to offers.

And this from Reds beat writer, John Fay, wrote this in his blog regarding Olney's tweet:

Don?t know if there?s anything to it, but most of the Twitter talk we?ve seen related to Votto involves the Blue Jays (no surprise there, as Votto is Canadian and there?s been previous speculation about Toronto) and the Marlins.

I don't see the Marlins with any ace pitchers they would be willing to deal....well, they do have Josh Johnson, but he is coming off an injury. The Blue Jays could be willing to deal Rioky Romero who pitched very well in 2011, going 15-11 in 225.0 innings with a 2.92 ERA, 4.20 FIP and a 3.80 xFIP. Romero has thrown 178 or more innings in each of the last 3 seasons and is 42-29 over that same period. Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopolous dealt starter Shaun Marcum to the Brewers last offseason, and could be willing to deal Romero this offseason.

Who would replace Votto at first base for the Reds? First base prospect Yonder Alonso. Alonso was solid at the plate in his 2011 cup of coffee, hitting .330-.398-.545 with 5 HRs, 15 RBI and 9 runs in 88 at bats. At AAA in 2011, Alonso hit .296-.374-.486 with 12 HRs, 24 doubles, 56 RBI, 46 runs, 6 SBs and a 60-46 K/BB rate.

The Reds tried Alonso in left field and at third base to get his bat in the lineup, but he was a liability in left field and many thought the Reds only option was to deal Alonso this offseason, but apparently teams aren't interested in Alonso. But, there will be plenty of teams with interest in Votto.

Reds GM Walt Jocketty is probably going to listen to teams who need a first baseman and are unwilling to get involved in the free agent market for either Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder. Or, he could be copying what Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers did last offseason by listening to offers for outfielder Justin Upton, and we all know that Upton was not traded and had his best season as a major leaguer in 2011.

Votto is scheduled to make $9.5 million in 2012, and $17 million in 2013, the last two years of his 3 year contract. Votto's remaining contract, while expensive for a team like the Reds, is cheap when you compare his contract, and performance at the plate, to hitters like Adrian Gonzalez, Ryan Howard and Troy Tulowitzki.

Should the O's trade for Joey Votto?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trade what, exactly? Votto leaving Cincy via trade would be something akin to the Orioles trading a vastly superior version of Markakis (i.e., the fans might riot, so the team making the trade would have to get a ransom in return). IMO, the O's couldn't sanely meet the price.

Are you kidding me? Duquette should be all over this.

This from Buster Onley:

And this from Reds beat writer' date=' John Fay, wrote this in his blog regarding Olney's tweet:

I don't see the Marlins with any ace pitchers they would be willing to deal....well, they do have Josh Johnson, but he is coming off an injury. The Blue Jays could be willing to deal Rioky Romero who pitched very well in 2011, going 15-11 in 225.0 innings with a 2.92 ERA, 4.20 FIP and a 3.80 xFIP. Romero has thrown 178 or more innings in each of the last 3 seasons and is 42-29 over that same period. Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopolous dealt starter Shaun Marcum to the Brewers last offseason, and could be willing to deal Romero this offseason.

Who would replace Votto at first base for the Reds? First base prospect Yonder Alonso. Alonso was solid at the plate in his 2011 cup of coffee, hitting .330-.398-.545 with 5 HRs, 15 RBI and 9 runs in 88 at bats. At AAA in 2011, Alonso hit .296-.374-.486 with 12 HRs, 24 doubles, 56 RBI, 46 runs, 6 SBs and a 60-46 K/BB rate.

The Reds tried Alonso in left field and at third base to get his bat in the lineup, but he was a liability in left field and many thought the Reds only option was to deal Alonso this offseason, but apparently teams aren't interested in Alonso. But, there will be plenty of teams with interest in Votto.

Reds GM Walt Jocketty is probably going to listen to teams who need a first baseman and are unwilling to get involved in the free agent market for either Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder. Or, he could be copying what Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers did last offseason by listening to offers for outfielder Justin Upton, and we all know that Upton was not traded and had his best season as a major leaguer in 2011.

Votto is scheduled to make $9.5 million in 2012, and $17 million in 2013, the last two years of his 3 year contract. Votto's remaining contract, while expensive for a team like the Reds, is cheap when you compare his contract, and performance at the plate, to hitters like Adrian Gonzalez, Ryan Howard and Troy Tulowitzki.

Should the O's trade for Joey Votto?[/quote']Cincy will want a boatlaod a talent, especially SP. We don't have any of that. I think we are closer to trading Jones for Alonso.

NO! It's about dealing away established players for top prospects or high upside guys with multiple years of arbitration left, not the other way around

Only if you want to keep losing...

It's about acquiring the talent to win when it is available.

We go through this every time.

Nobody wanted to trade for Tex, nobody wanted to trade for Gonzalez, or Fielder, or Cabrera...

The price is always too high. Well there's a reason for that, and it's because those players are difference makers in their prime. And if you don't want to pay the prices on the FA market, then you have to be willing to trade your prospects.

Otherwise we can keep winding up with projects and reclamation projects at 1B like we have for the past 13 years since Raffy left the first time...

I'd rather shell out the money for Fielder than trade a bunch of good young players to get Votto, and then still have to pony up the $$ or lose him in two years.

As would I. But Votto is superior to Fielder and you've got to think there won't be the question of his health on a 8 year deal.

If the Orioles don't want to pay the $ for Fielder, they can wait and pay 9/225-10/250 for Votto after 2013 as that's probably what it will take considering he will be the only premium FA bat on the market that will be in his prime.

Archived