Morosi: O's and Angels Have Discussed Guthrie Trade

Os84

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about Howie Kendrick 28 for 2B if BROB doesn't return? He has also played LF and 1B. Only a $3.3 mill salary with 18 HR'S and 63 RBI'S last season.

Kendrick is one of the most injury-prone players in baseball. Last season was an exception for him. Not sure if it's wise to commit the resources required to acquire him given his fragility.

Whatever was discussed... I can guarantee you that Duquette was looking for value in return. The O's won't be doing a trade like Tejada for garbage like they received in return. Duquette would of had a lower level gem or two in that return. The cupboard wouldn't be bear like you're seeing now with none of those players traded for in the organization. Correct me if I'm wrong..Not sure if the LHP out of the bullpen is under contract.. I'm sure someone will let me know :D

Whatever was discussed... I can guarantee you that Duquette was looking for value in return. The O's won't be doing a trade like Tejada for garbage like they received in return. Duquette would of had a lower level gem or two in that return. The cupboard wouldn't be bear like you're seeing now with none of those players traded for in the organization. Correct me if I'm wrong..Not sure if the LHP out of the bullpen is under contract.. I'm sure someone will let me know :D

One thing I think will differ from DD and AM is that DD will want the best return as opposed to worrying about closeness to the majors.

For example, I think DD would have looked for a deal where he got higher ceiling talent back for Koji vs getting 2 ML ready contributors.

One thing I think will differ from DD and AM is that DD will want the best return as opposed to worrying about closeness to the majors.

For example, I think DD would have looked for a deal where he got higher ceiling talent back for Koji vs getting 2 ML ready contributors.

You are absolutely right... When I was there DeMarlo and I would talk on the bus rides and he'd let me in one what's going on... The names that were being tossed around were of value during trade talks from other teams that I knew from playing against these guys. So from those talks, I firmly believe DD will go for higher ceiling guys with more potential then just trying to fill a big league roster. Just another little peak from the inside out for everyone. When I was 20 years old I had no idea how all of this stuff operated, looking back this is the kind of stuff I enjoyed and should of taken the offer of remaining in the organization doing other work :-/ Dagger! lol

DD will also probably put together a much more productive pro scouting department, so he'll know who to go get. Scouting, amatuer and professional, is one of the areas where AM seemed just frozen. It looks like DD is being aggressive in rebuilding a top notch scouting department. More power to him.

You are absolutely right... When I was there DeMarlo and I would talk on the bus rides and he'd let me in one what's going on... The names that were being tossed around were of value during trade talks from other teams that I knew from playing against these guys. So from those talks, I firmly believe DD will go for higher ceiling guys with more potential then just trying to fill a big league roster. Just another little peak from the inside out for everyone. When I was 20 years old I had no idea how all of this stuff operated, looking back this is the kind of stuff I enjoyed and should of taken the offer of remaining in the organization doing other work :-/ Dagger! lol

I am really enjoying these posts from you...Great insight!

Ealier in this thread, one poster mentioned a third base prospect from the Angels. First round pick in 2010...But he is only 19, in single A.

But the talent and ceiling is there...I feel AM would stay away from that player unless he is the 3rd player in a trade. DD sees the talent and doesn't care if he is in single A or triple A.

AM seemed to shy away from going after higher ceiling guys who are often all or nothing propositions. It just was not in his make up to take those types of chances and frankly when your building a team with the lack of organizational talent the Orioles have, you have to be willing to take some well thought out risks and see what sticks. Rebuilding a MLB franchise is not for the timid, its like dealing in futures in the stock market, you do your research, hope and trust the guys you hired to get the info got it right and be bold.

I got to say I was skeptical about the DD hiring but am impressed with the some of the news we have been hearing lately. I think DD is first GM here in a while who is committed to rebuilding the scouting and development system from the ground up and actually has a clue what he is doing. This alone has me excited. I want a team built to be a competitor on a consistent basis and that starts with scouting and development.

The Angels traded Chatwood earlier tonight for Chris Iannetta a catcher with the Rockies. Does this increase the chances of a Guthrie deal? One less starter on the Angels roster as a result of the trade.

Rotation:

Dan Haren

Jered Weaver

Ervin Santana

... and maybe Garrett Richards???

They could definitely be looking for a starter now... C.J. Wilson could still end up there.

By the way, what a horrible trade for the Angels. Ianetta is HORRIBLE away from Coors and Chatwood was entirely TOO much to give up for him.

How does anybody feel about 2010 1st round pick, 3B Kaleb Cowart? He could be the 3B in a Cowart, Machado, Schoop (2B) infield of the future.

Maybe Guthrie and Simon??? for Morales, Callaspo and Cowart?

EDIT*** Just playing along... no 'news' to pass along :D

EDIT*** EDIT*** I have no idea why I keep calling him Stewart. I couldn't find his name at first because I was typing in 'Kaleb Stewart' into BB-ref to get the link for his stats. It's Kaleb KOWART. Apologies...

Hmmm...methinks you might be on to something?

Angels to offer Aramis Ramirez

Archived