Orioles Reach Out To Prince Fielder's Representatives

FlyGy185

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He made the comment to the Boston media, not to Baltimore. I think he was in a comfort zone there and spoke candidly about the situation. In short, no he wasn't trying to play media games. Or should I add "IMO?" :D

Good points. But I still think that's more along the lines of "something you say" than 100% truth. I don't think we're going to sign Fielder, but that's another subject.

Except the Rays are the ones who could easily end up with Smoak.

But yes, Smoak should be priority #1 for the Orioles if the M's get Fielder.

I really don't understand why? We already have Chris Davis and he has performed as well Smoak,maybe better. Not much of an age difference.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=smoak-001jus

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/smoakju01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=davis-003chr

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/davisch02.shtml

FOX Sports reports that the Washington Nationals are going after free agent first baseman Prince Fielder.

The talks hit a "roadblock" Monday, FOX reports, and the Nats may turn their attention to trying to get Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes instead.

Meanwhile, FOX has it that the Chicago Cubs are after both Fielder and fellow first baseman Albert Pujols simultaneously.

As FOX hears it, the St. Louis Cardinals and Marlins are the only other teams after Pujols right now while Fielder only has his former employer, the Milwaukee Brewers, and the Nats as serious contenders at this point, though the Seattle Mariners "are believed to have interest" and the Texas Rangers "eventually could enter the mix" for Pujols or Fielder.

So:

Nats

Cubs

Brewers

Mariners (?)

Rangers (?)

I don't get the Nats thing. It seems ridiculous that they are mentioned among the top possible destinations for premiere free agents, almost every time! It's like they're the Yankees. Is it the revenue from being a newer franchise with a new stadium? Is it some MASN backdoor thing? Are they really that much more attractive than the Orioles (wait, don't answer that one...). I just... don't get it. Regardless. I hope we don't get Fielder. I think it's going to haunt whoever signs him about three years from now - as attractive a player as he is today.

I don't get the Nats thing. It seems ridiculous that they are mentioned among the top possible destinations for premiere free agents, almost every time! It's like they're the Yankees. Is it the revenue from being a newer franchise with a new stadium? Is it some MASN backdoor thing? Are they really that much more attractive than the Orioles (wait, don't answer that one...). I just... don't get it. Regardless. I hope we don't get Fielder. I think it's going to haunt whoever signs him about three years from now - as attractive a player as he is today.

I hope he does sign with the Nationals personally. I am a short metro trip away from seeing a pretty good team if so. Their owner is not afraid of letting baseball people run the organization, so if they feel he is worthwhile, I will buy into it. If not, I am fine with that too. With the Orioles, I don't trust anything they do because Petey is still ultimately in charge.

Part of it is past history, they picked up Pudge two years ago and Werth last year. They also have an owner who is willing to spend and is exceedingly wealthy even by MLB standards.

Flat payroll, add talent within that constraint, almost certainly no premium free agents, only adding payroll when fans come back to see the team he's built the right way.

That really couldn't be more clear.

That is the most ridiculous backwards thinking I have ever heard.

Fans aren't coming back until they WIN. They can't do that by taking another 3-4 years to do it the "right way" with no free agents. You need to get the players FIRST, then sell the fans that you actually are trying and then they might come back. Maybe.

You think the fan wants to hear 'trust us" for another few years after the last 14? Yeah, right. Put your money where your mouth is and show us something and then we might listen. I have NO reason to believe anything they say because thy have been saying and claiming the same thing for 10 years.

Part of it is past history, they picked up Pudge two years ago and Werth last year. They also have an owner who is willing to spend and is exceedingly wealthy even by MLB standards.

He is also tremedously old.

Theodore N. "Ted" Lerner (born October 15, 1925)

He is worth 3 Plus Billion.

He has not yet fired Davey Johnson.

Or learned that throwing cash at the problem and making nice with Scott Boras only wins the Yankees rings.

He is still a new owner.

He is also tremedously old.

Theodore N. "Ted" Lerner (born October 15, 1925)

He is worth 3 Plus Billion.

He has not yet fired Davey Johnson.

Or learned that throwing cash at the problem and making nice with Scott Boras only wins the Yankees rings.

He is still a new owner.

I have never heard so much disdain for Ted Lerner:) LOL. How exactly have the Nationals helped the Yankees? Lost me there...

I have never heard so much disdain for Ted Lerner:) LOL. How exactly have the Nationals helped the Yankees? Lost me there...

No No. I don't even know Ted Lerner. He has only helped Scott Boras and the Free Agents he has signed or courted. Has nothing to do with the Yankees. You need to have unlimited resources to play their game.

Smoak is immensely more talented and has a lot more upside...The K and BB numbers, especially in the minors, are very telling.

Davis still has a spot on the team, as an everyday DH, so getting Smoak doesn't effect him.

Also, Smoak is a very good defensive player.

It didn't work back in September, 2005, either

"We are coming back strong next year, I know you have heard that tune before, but this time it will literally come true." - Peter Angelos

Both Peter and Ted will both be gone before either of their franchises wins the World Series.

That is the most ridiculous backwards thinking I have ever heard.

Fans aren't coming back until they WIN. They can't do that by taking another 3-4 years to do it the "right way" with no free agents. You need to get the players FIRST, then sell the fans that you actually are trying and then they might come back. Maybe.

You think the fan wants to hear 'trust us" for another few years after the last 14? Yeah, right. Put your money where your mouth is and show us something and then we might listen. I have NO reason to believe anything they say because thy have been saying and claiming the same thing for 10 years.

What relevant free agent is going to come to Baltimore with an owner who has demonstrated disinterest in being a real player in free agency?

The organization needs to fully commit to rebuilding it's talent base. Angelos has proven to be a stumbling block to this in the past numerous times... probably because he realizes that the fans actions are speaking louder than their words and he wants a quick fix. That's where you get the Sammy Sosa's, Vlad Guerrero's, salary relief trades sacrificing draft picks, non-trades for type A's who would bring back draft picks when they sign elsewhere, etc...

If Angelos, as the owner, wants to do what's best for the organization, he will fully commit to a legit rebuild. MacPhail did a decent job getting it off the ground, but much more obviously needs to be done mostly on the pitching side (both depth wise and development wise.) It's not futile, but there needs to be an organizational commitment to establishing the proper infrastructure for cultivating talent. Thus far, that commitment hasn't been there to the level it needs to be.

Archived