Roch: Duquette confirms no Fielder, Reynolds to 1B?

ChaosLex

I agree with DD's statements here 100%. Reynolds must play first, where he looked competent, and not third, where he looked erratic. As for third, suggesting a platoon of two unproven, aging AAAA guys isn't exactly painting yourself into a corner. In other words, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we came out of the offseason with a new corner infielder via trade, most likely.

But it does seem that will be down the priority list, after starting pitching (please) and a left fielder... and a backup catcher. I also think we need to address the bench in a pretty serious way.

It'll be very interesting to see where this all goes. But in the end, I'm glad we're not signing Fielder, just because we have SO many other holes to fill.

I read Boswell this morning saying that the Nats are looking at Fielder (and every other premium FA), and noting that Harper, Rendon, Strasburg and about 15 other premier young talents are in the pipeline. How the hell did the Nats storm past the Orioles in such dramatic fashion, even with a lot of turnover in their front office and managerial staffs?

Harper and Stasburg are #1 overall picks and Rendon was the leading candidate to go #1 before last season started.

So the Nats sucked worse.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plan looks fine to me. Remember, both Antonelli and Davis (especially) had outstanding minor league numbers but for whatever reason have not really had their full-time shot in the bigs. The O's are in a great position to provide it. Plus, I agree with DD that Reynolds is a decent power bat at 1B, that we should focus on pitching, and that we have one OF slot that is up for grabs.

Overall, I like his approach. It's not flashy, but I believe it is a good, well-rounded attack plan for the Orioles right now.

BTW, regardless of our market or whatever, if the ownership believes we are a small-market team then we are. Simple as that. And we have to live with that handicap. Being run as a small-market team is not a kiss of death, it just is a higher wall to climb.

Quite honestly, I'd be looking to move Reynolds to DH and looking for young talent at BOTH 3B and 1B. Even though you get the impression that he's not interested in corner players, if he gets an offer, he may still pull the trigger on a deal for either position. Davis and Reynolds are not so good as to have them written into the lineup for next year.

I agree with SG, also the SSS at first really wasn't all that impressive.

I mean this all depends on options. But Reynolds shouldn't be limited to just 3b or just 1b yet in the process. We have a good handle on what he looks like in both and can make assessments on individual spots accordingly.

As for SSS, he did have about 100 points higher in fielding percentage at 1b. The question is does that increase stem from eliminating his arm from the equation. Not really sure where to find the number of throwing errors vs fielding, but based on my memory he was genuinely bad at both. But he did have less errors in more chances at 1b. Maybe it helps him stay on his toes more because he's involved there. Has he said he's more comfortable at one or the other?

The sooner some people realize the better. Now, if we build the right way and start competing again and filling the yard we can definitely move back up to a mid market team but we're never going to be a big market team.

Not sure Attendance is the right metric to determine market size. If the Yankees suck for three years in a row and their attendance drops off significantly, are then then considered mid-market. Conversely if the Royals beginning selling out every night are they considered large market?

I think market is size of possible fans, number of teams competing for those fans, other revenue generating opportunities (ads, sports networks etc). And given those metrics, my belief is that this team is mid to small.

SSS for Reynolds defense....should be kept at third.

Your logic seems circular, sir. SSS so move him back to third before we can get a larger sample size. If you are going to fall back on SSS as you argument, then you should be willing to see more than a SSS to prove your point. Otherwise, your SSS argument seems more like a convenient excuse than a reasoned argument.

SSS is irrelevant since we don't use numbers. Buck's and DD's eyes tell them he is better at 1B. They are in a better position to judge so there is nothing else to say about that. As to his plan I'm waiting to see these pitchers he's getting. That's what's most important IMO.

I mean this all depends on options. But Reynolds shouldn't be limited to just 3b or just 1b yet in the process. We have a good handle on what he looks like in both and can make assessments on individual spots accordingly.

As for SSS, he did have about 100 points higher in fielding percentage at 1b. The question is does that increase stem from eliminating his arm from the equation. Not really sure where to find the number of throwing errors vs fielding, but based on my memory he was genuinely bad at both. But he did have less errors in more chances at 1b. Maybe it helps him stay on his toes more because he's involved there. Has he said he's more comfortable at one or the other?

Flash, you are kidding, right? You are not seriously comparing fielding % at 3B to fielding % at 1B? The median fielding % of qualified 3B is about .960, while at 1B it is .995. Pretty much nobody fields below .990 at 1B. That's because the vast majority of chances are just catching the throws from the other infielders, which anyone can do.

The new CBA says we are. A team that struggles to draw 10k to their games... that's pretty telling right there that the Orioles market isn't real big.

The Ravens aren't even a large market team; why would the Orioles be one?

Thank goodness MASN is a separate business entity from the O's and it owns the majority of its large market neighbor, according to the CBA, team's TV rights...

O's are a very large market team if you count MASN...like Chicago large.

Flash, you are kidding, right? You are not seriously comparing fielding % at 3B to fielding % at 1B? The median fielding % of qualified 3B is about .960, while at 1B it is .995. Pretty much nobody fields below .990 at 1B. That's because the vast majority of chances are just catching the throws from the other infielders, which anyone can do.

Right...the median is definitely a better way to measure that, totally agree. The point is somewhat still relevant though. Reynolds in many more chances was much closer to the median at 1b at 987, than 897 at 3b. A 100 point change in fielding percentage from any position to another though is one worth nothing. I mean we're talking about night and day different between those two, and I only meant to accentuate that point.

I guess you have to account for a variety of factors which includes people throwing to you, number of chances, reduction in throws, are less balls hit to 1bs than 3bs? I wonder what his fielding percentage was on plays hit to him? And was it higher at 1b because he was more comfortable because he was more involved.

I wasn't trying to say use that number to put him at 1b, just wondering if there were other factors that led to the vast improvement, and/or was there really an improvement at all.

Archived