New Comments from Roberts in Roch's latest Blog.

DuffMan

There is no sense crying over spilt milk. Get what you can out of him.
A big part of Roberts' game was aggressive baserunning. His game depended on stretching singles into doubles and stealing bases. I hope he retires on a buyout as he has a beautiful wife and a lot of money. It's time for him to simply relax and enjoy life.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would the O's be better off with the money saved from a buyout, and the open roster spot, or having Roberts as the everyday DH for two years putting up OPS's well south of 800?

The Orioles would be better off saving a few $million in a buyout and throwing that cash at some random bat. Roberts' offense profiles as a replacement-level DH. Even a mediocrity like a Kubel or a Ken Phelps All Star, or a buy low guy coming off an injury would be a better bet to give the O's decent production out of that spot.

Could Roberts be the DH? Limit his injury liability in the field.

He isn't a great defender anyway.

Roberts' "injury liability" hasn't been in the field, but rather the result of batting.....hitting himself in the helmet with a bat....and sliding into 1B on an infield hit. I'd say in Roberts' case, being a DH prevents little.

But if Roberts is healthy, you have to go with him in the field. Otherwise, his value drops quickly. I think the Orioles recognized that and made a couple of pretty good off-season signings - Antonelli and Flaherty for insurance. Both seem like Ryan Adams clones.

Would the O's be better off with the money saved from a buyout, and the open roster spot, or having Roberts as the everyday DH for two years putting up OPS's well south of 800?

This assumes a buyout can be arranged which we don't know is possible.

If he is going to get his $10 million, then why not take the .800+, 3-5 oWAR he could produce at DH? Or at least give him the chance to produce it.

That would make him middle fo the pack for full time DH's over the last 4 years. That's much better then replacement level. He should certainly be better then Vlad for $8 million in 2011.

For single seasons, From 2008 to 2011, Played 75% of games at DH, (requiring At least 502 plate appearances), sorted by greatest On-Base Plus Slugging

<iframe src="http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/share.cgi?id=RMaP8&output=iframe" width=1012 height=416 scrolling=auto>

Report Created on <a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/">Baseball-Reference.com</a>

</iframe>

He would actually be in a fairly elite category of full time DH's who put up over .800 OPS in a season.

I never said it was a given that he would accept a buyout, just that I would attempt to reach an agreement with him on one.

I said an OPS south of .800.

Do you think Roberts will put up an OPS over .800 next season?

I would love to hear how you came up with that optimistic a projection.

I will be frank. Even if he is healthy enough to play next season I am very concerned that at his age, coming off of his 2010-2011 seasons, that he is done as an effective player.

I'm not sure I see the impications about Roberts. They took a rule 5 guy who may be more than a utility guy. He can start at 3B or 2B if he distiguishes himself. Davis isn't a lock at 3B IMO, he could wind up on the bench as a CIF and DH. If Roberts can play someone of Flaherty, Antonelli goes.

I am not sure why anyone would be surprised about anything from Roberts. The expectations should be he will never play again. If he does, great. More than likely, his career is over. He had a good one. He is a lucky man. Best of luck to him.

I never said it was a given that he would accept a buyout, just that I would attempt to reach an agreement with him on one.

I said an OPS south of .800.

Do you think Roberts will put up an OPS over .800 next season?

I would love to hear how you came up with that optimistic a projection.

I will be frank. Even if he is healthy enough to play next season I am very concerned that at his age, coming off of his 2010-2011 seasons, that he is done as an effective player.

2007-2009, the last window he wasn't injured, he was .808, .828, .807.

Given two years of age, who knows if he repeats these numbers. But, I argue at 34 years old, if he is going to get paid $10 million, let him try.

This assumes a buyout can be arranged which we don't know is possible.

If he is going to get his $10 million, then why not take the .800+, 3-5 oWAR he could produce at DH? Or at least give him the chance to produce it.

That would make him middle fo the pack for full time DH's over the last 4 years. That's much better then replacement level. He should certainly be better then Vlad for $8 million in 2011.

For single seasons, From 2008 to 2011, Played 75% of games at DH, (requiring At least 502 plate appearances), sorted by greatest On-Base Plus Slugging

<iframe src="http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/share.cgi?id=RMaP8&output=iframe" width=1012 height=416 scrolling=auto>

Report Created on <a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/">Baseball-Reference.com</a>

</iframe>

He would actually be in a fairly elite category of full time DH's who put up over .800 OPS in a season.

Ooooooooooooooooooh, how about Vlad!?!?!??!?!

Archived