New Comments from Roberts in Roch's latest Blog.

DuffMan

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/12/notes-on-wada-report-dates-and-roberts.html

Maybe it's just me, but do these comments worry anyone else? They don't seem as positive/hopeful as the ones he made a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I'm just overreacting here and Roberts just wants to take it easy and not make any predictions about if/when he can return in case he can't meet them. If we are going to have any kind of shot at finishing above .500 next year a healthy and productive BRob would certainly help.

Problem is, these things don't go hand and hand. Even if he is healthy (hurdle #1), I have my doubts he can step right back in and be productive (hurdle #2). Best case scenario in my mind for Brian Roberts in 2012 would be playing 100+ games while finishing the season healthy. I put absolutely zero expectations on how productive those 100+ games will be.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take it from me, a guy that is playing college baseball. I am a catcher, and the first game of our fall season I was behind the dish. A ball was hit to CF and the runner on second came around 3rd, the CF gunned it to me on a hop, I caught it, and the 6'4 250 1B'man ran me right over. (I made the out, and that's all that counts :thumbsup1:)

However, I was out the entire fall. August to November, with concussion like symptoms, and really you just have to take it day by day. One day I would be fine, just a little drowsy and fatigued, and the next day I was nauseous and dizzy.

Roberts, IMO will be okay, however, I don't know about his integrity, he could be possibly milking it, and collecting his paycheck (I dont see him as that type of person though)

However, speaking from experience, I think we will see him this season.

I'll be surprised if he is ever a productive major leaguer again. I think that ship has sailed and hopefully Roberts will retire is he's unable to play by February. I hope I'm wrong because I'd love to have a healthy Roberts in our lineup, but clearly those comments indicate things are not where he would like them to be.
Look at Sidney Crosby right now.

BRob really should retire.

Agreed x100. The comments don't "worry me" exactly, but I never expected him to really return. He should retire. He has serious concussion issues and those things are a downward spiral: the more you've had, the easier it is to get the next one, and the worse your brain will be. The fact that he got his last concussion sliding into a base is especially worrying.

With a head injury, no one is ever sure the issues are gone until you get back to playing and even then it's still questionable. Look at Sidney Crosby, I am sure Roberts is looking at how he got hit again and may not play again.

I wouldn't doubt that he is worried about having to hang the spikes up and doesn't want to rule anything out until they get to the spring, he starts going full speed and gets back into the normal routine. At that point, he'll really know whether he is done or not, so I am sure that's why he is being so vague with his answers

I'm taking my news on Brian one day at a time. I hope he's able to come back and play the game we all know that he loves. But if I were close to him, I'd be strongly urging him to walk away and save himself from any further damage. You just don't play with concussions and brain injuries.

Would anybody here retire and walk away from the money? Sure it would be in the Orioles' best interest, but I wonder who here would leave millions on the table from their employer. The Orioles most likely have an insurance policy similar to what we had with Belle.

No, I would not leave the money. But I would listen if the team wanted to restructure in order to defer the last two years and break it out over 10.

25 years ago how many atheletes lost a ton of time over concusions? I don't remember too many. Now guys being out for a year isn't rare. I wonder if some of these guys are just suffering from anxiety.

I remember back in the day when I got a cough I just took some calomel and toughed it out. Then they told me it wasn't the consumption any more, it was some so-called bacteria that I can't even see that they say causes some new-fangled disease called tuberculosis. And my old standby, the calomel, is somehow dangerous because it's full of mercury. Yea, whatever. I'm not worried. Quacks ain't bringing me down.

At this point he should walk away. If I already had tens of millions of dollars in the bank, I'd try in an ethical fashion to get what money I could, and if it wasn't possible, just leave it. His quality of play has already been compromised by injury, never to be regained. Trying an age-34 season on the heels of the last two years, and risking a third injury, enters into the realm of foolish, professionally and personally. Sure, pretty much everyone has their pride and would like to go out well, on their terms, but sometimes it just doesn't happen...generally there are exceptions to rules, but those same rules usually win out, don't they? Quality of life should win out here, with as few looks back as he can manage.

His words aren't encouraging, but anything he could say right now wouldn't be enough to make me think he's going to play 150 games at a high level next year. There is just too much physical stuff involved.

Let him keep plugging away this offseason...doing what he needs to do to get ready for ST. If he can do it, great. If not, oh well. It was a good ride and it sucks to see him go out this way.

When Roberts hurt his back in 2010, I had a feeling it was the end. I know he went out with a concussion last year, something totally unrelated, but I just don't think he can come back from this.

DD should really be looking at other options for 2B next year, more than Robert Andino.

Would anybody here retire and walk away from the money? Sure it would be in the Orioles' best interest, but I wonder who here would leave millions on the table from their employer. The Orioles most likely have an insurance policy similar to what we had with Belle.

He has already banked 42.31 million in MLB salary.

If it was me, I would set up a buy out of my two remaining years, I would even allow the O's to defer some of the money (at a rate a couple percentage points above inflation).

His words aren't encouraging, but anything he could say right now wouldn't be enough to make me think he's going to play 150 games at a high level next year. There is just too much physical stuff involved.

Let him keep plugging away this offseason...doing what he needs to do to get ready for ST. If he can do it, great. If not, oh well. It was a good ride and it sucks to see him go out this way.

When Roberts hurt his back in 2010, I had a feeling it was the end. I know he went out with a concussion last year, something totally unrelated, but I just don't think he can come back from this.

DD should really be looking at other options for 2B next year, more than Robert Andino.

He has already signed Antonelli and picked up a 2B in the Rule 5 draft. That's enough for me.

I remember back in the day when I got a cough I just took some calomel and toughed it out. Then they told me it wasn't the consumption any more, it was some so-called bacteria that I can't even see that they say causes some new-fangled disease called tuberculosis. And my old standby, the calomel, is somehow dangerous because it's full of mercury. Yea, whatever. I'm not worried. Quacks ain't bringing me down.

25 years ago my Pop Pop told me a shot of whiskey would help with a cough. I took his words to heart, and drink Jack on the rocks every night before bed! :D

Archived