New Comments from Roberts in Roch's latest Blog.

DuffMan

He has already signed Antonelli and picked up a 2B in the Rule 5 draft. That's enough for me.

I guess so. There is Ryan Adams, too. But that's a lot of fodder to throw at a wall, hoping something sticks, when you're trying to place Roberts, who was a crucial part of the offense. They aren't trying to replace him as much as they trying to line up a bunch human shields to stop bullets.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has already banked 42.31 million in MLB salary.

If it was me, I would set up a buy out of my two remaining years, I would even allow the O's to defer some of the money (at a rate a couple percentage points above inflation).

Buy out. 15.5 million. Or let him work off his remaining time in the Bird Costume. Nothing strenuous, and he could have an understudy for those uncomforatable days. Think of the Children. If he had done something dumb to cause this for himself, well then, it would be another story.

I guess so. There is Ryan Adams, too. But that's a lot of fodder to throw at a wall, hoping something sticks, when you're trying to place Roberts, who was a crucial part of the offense. They aren't trying to replace him as much as they trying to line up a bunch human shields to stop bullets.

Well, there aren't a lot of 2B available (i.e., none) who are going to supply what BRob gave us when we were healthy. And while we might be able to find one better than Andino, I'd need to know the cost before saying we should do it. From where I sit, Andino was slightly below average for a starting 2B last year, his first as a (mostly) full-time starter, and I believe he would give you average production at 2B in 2012 now that he has learned the position and gotten a good number of PA's under his belt. So, I feel that doing more at 2B is pretty far down the priority list.

He has already banked 42.31 million in MLB salary.

If it was me, I would set up a buy out of my two remaining years, I would even allow the O's to defer some of the money (at a rate a couple percentage points above inflation).

We say this, I'd do the honorable thing, quite frankly I really don't know what I'd do...

My question is would MLBPA even let him defer or drop money?

I wish Roberts would just retire. He's made a ton of money already, and he's not doing himself or the Orioles any favors by trying to play...

I'm sure some sort of buyout could be arranged. Angelos isn't about to screw the guy if he wanted some compensation in exchange for retiring IMO...

We say this, I'd do the honorable thing, quite frankly I really don't know what I'd do...

My question is would MLBPA even let him defer or drop money?

1-I have already banked over forty mil.

2-I am looking at ten mil min in the buyout.

3-I have suffered these symptoms for a year.

I would leave some money on the table in that situation.

There is not much you can buy for sixty million that you can not get for fifty.

Can someone refresh my memory and tell me how he got this concussion again? Was it when he hit himself over the head w/the bat after a strikeout or was this a different time?

If I'm not mistaken Justin Morneau is still having difficulties from his concussion in 2010.

I find it interesting how many "freak" concussions there are in baseball. I can't tell you how many times I ran into linebackers in football, or ran into the OF fence in baseball and not once did I ever have a concussion.

1-I have already banked over forty mil.

2-I am looking at ten mil min in the buyout.

3-I have suffered these symptoms for a year.

I would leave some money on the table in that situation.

There is not much you can buy for sixty million that you can not get for fifty.

I completely agree, and would hope I would do the right thing. I was just wondering about the union's reaction.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/12/notes-on-wada-report-dates-and-roberts.html

Maybe it's just me, but do these comments worry anyone else? They don't seem as positive/hopeful as the ones he made a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I'm just overreacting here and Roberts just wants to take it easy and not make any predictions about if/when he can return in case he can't meet them. If we are going to have any kind of shot at finishing above .500 next year a healthy and productive BRob would certainly help.

No you are not, he is still in pain, if not he would have said, yes no more pains since that interview with the reporter from Sun magazine..

Yeah he should just ignore modern day medical science, play through it, and risk his life like they did back in the day. That's what real men are made of.

So wait. 25 years ago isn't modern day? Ah, thats right. The MRI and Cat Scans weren't developed until like 2003 or so, right? I could see if you talking about a ballplayer from the 30's or so, but seriously, you don't think they had modern medicine as early as 25 years ago? Medicine is not like technology. 25 years ago, you couldn't afford a PC that was about as powerful as a calculator without taking out a loan . Now, you can buy one for 300 bucks, and push technology to its limits.

So wait. 25 years ago isn't modern day? Ah, thats right. The MRI and Cat Scans weren't developed until like 2003 or so, right? I could see if you talking about a ballplayer from the 30's or so, but seriously, you don't think they had modern medicine as early as 25 years ago? Medicine is not like technology. 25 years ago, you couldn't afford a PC that was about as powerful as a calculator without taking out a loan . Now, you can buy one for 300 bucks, and push technology to its limits.

I think the point wasn't the technology, but more a "rub some dirt on it and get back out there"-mentality.

I hate to say this... but look at Muhammad Ali.

I think the point wasn't the technology, but more a "rub some dirt on it and get back out there"-mentality.

I hate to say this... but look at Muhammad Ali.

Boxers knew what was happening back in Ali's day. They called it punch drunk, and they knew that you got it from getting your face punched in by big men over the course of many years. It was hard to determine the damage of a concussion in that era, because the imaging tests didn't arrive until the early 70's. Keep in mind that Ali started fighting in 1954 at the age of 12, and spent the next 27 years getting punched in the head. I am not supporting the comment made about this not happening 25 years ago, but I'm fairly certain that the same tests available today to scan the brain were available 25 years ago. My only issue was a nitpick, I'll admit. Saying that 25 years ago that medicine wasn't modern kinda baffles me.

So wait. 25 years ago isn't modern day?

In some fields, absolutely not. IIRC the understanding of our Vestibular system (which roberts has problems with) is one of those fields. The Technology might be similar (but more refined today) but the actual understanding of how these things can affect you has changed a whole lot in even just a decade.

Archived