Unhappy Scouts??

beardbr

I would hope that he does, but we shall see, won't we? I am all for surrounding myself with my own people when assuming a job like his, but again...why muddy the waters by re-assigning these guys to the amateur side where they will have little to no value and could really just muddy the waters? Eat the money and let them find employment elsewhere.

What worries me more is judging by some of the quotes out there, it seems as though the new regime thinks that scouts can be replaced (or at least partially replaced) with video and stats. 29 other teams would beg to differ and use qunatitative data in addition to scouts in the field. Hope this is not the case here...

It sounds like you might be very close to the situation so let me ask you a question. What is so different about scouting a minor league player and an amateur player? Now I've done both, but certainly not to your extent I will assume, but why would a pro scout not be able to help out on the amateur side? Sure, there is even more projection to an amateur player, but wouldn't you agree that seeing what works and what doesn't at the minor and major league level is helpful to being a successful amateur scout?

As for eating the money, why would he just eat the money for scouts who should have the ability to help in any area? I realize these guys probably feel like this is a demotion and honestly, it very well might be, but people had to expect there would be some change with a new "sheriff" in town. They were all under contract so I will assume that Duquette has decided to use them in a different capacity so I can put the guys in place that he feels comfortable with. I have a hard time believing the Orioles are planning on having no professional coverage until after the draft, but I do believe a ton of the major league scouting can be done off of video and good statistical analysis. The minor leagues on the hand needs to have coverage throughout the year in order to see a guy early, middle and late in order to see how they look throughout the year since one or two looks at a certain part of the year can skew the opinion.

I'm sure some good scouts were re-assigned and although I've never been a fan of the Orioles advanced scouting, guys like Hardy, Reynolds (bat), Luke Scott, Strop, and Adam Jones were good acquisitions. Of course there is also Atkins, Lee, Guerrero, Tillman, Gonzales, Gregg and Accardo to even things out. ;)

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why would a pro scout not be able to help out on the amateur side? Sure, there is even more projection to an amateur player, but wouldn't you agree that seeing what works and what doesn't at the minor and major league level is helpful to being a successful amateur scout?

The timing is terrible, and they are incredibly far behind the rest of the area scouts that have already been working up this class. Not to mention they would, I assume, lack contacts on the amateur side, lack intimate knowledge of the amateur area they are being asked to scout, and lack familiarity with the process itself as it exists today.

In short, they may certainly have the evaluative skills to write-up amateurs, but they are in all likelihood ill-suited to jump into the process in the middle of December and have much use for their club -- particularly in contrast to the other area scouts, from other orgs, in their region.

The timing is terrible, and they are incredibly far behind the rest of the area scouts that have already been working up this class. Not to mention they would, I assume, lack contacts on the amateur side, lack intimate knowledge of the amateur area they are being asked to scout, and lack familiarity with the process itself as it exists today.

In short, they may certainly have the evaluative skills to write-up amateurs, but they are in all likelihood ill-suited to jump into the process in the middle of December and have much use for their club -- particularly in contrast to the other area scouts, from other orgs, in their region.

The kinds of costs - transaction and otherwise - that we sometimes forget about.

I would agree if they are being given their own area. If they are another pair of eyes or working like additional cross checkers than I would disagree that they can't be of help right now.

If so, he is doing a bangup job of lying about it:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/11/duquette_believes_orioles_staf.html

That was on November 29. I believe he made similar remarks prior to that.

Note that I was responding to a post that linked scouting/development personnel and players in the same thought.

From strictly the scouting/development standpoint, so far it looks to me like the employment contracts he inherited are the only obstacles in his way. From the standpoint of acquiring new on-field talent, everything I've seen so far looks like he's a man who's squeezing every nickel hard enough to give Jefferson a headache. It's way, way to early to conclude that's the way things will remain.

I would agree if they are being given their own area. If they are another pair of eyes or working like additional cross checkers than I would disagree that they can't be of help right now.

There is a reason that teams don't generally look for redundancy at the area scout level.

I guess as a cross-checker any evaluator could have "some use", though again I'm not sure how getting these guys one or two looks at a handful of draft eligibles is bringing tons to the table. And if it's just cross-checking, why not let them keep their job as pro scouts and just ask them to help out on the amateur side, as well?

This may not be what they are doing. Could be the re-assigned scouts are doing some previously unmanned type of scouting. Maybe something totally new to the organization. Hence why the term "joke assignment" has been thrown around.

There is a reason that teams don't generally look for redundancy at the area scout level.

I guess as a cross-checker any evaluator could have "some use", though again I'm not sure how getting these guys one or two looks at a handful of draft eligibles is bringing tons to the table. And if it's just cross-checking, why not let them keep their job as pro scouts and just ask them to help out on the amateur side, as well?

Consider an entry by Roch has

New scouting director Gary Rajsich is going to want to build his own staff, so you can expect more changes to come after next season

Sounds like we don't want to keep these guys on board and pay for new guys right away. In that light this move could appear to be a way to get out from under these contracts if any of them choose to leave.

Consider an entry by Roch has

Sounds liek we don't want to keep these guys on board and pay for new guys right away. In that light this move could appear to be a way to get out from under these contracts if any of them choose to leave.

Okay, but that sure is an underhanded way to go about it, no? Don't think scouts from other orgs aren't taking notice.

I'm guessing it's being looked at from a longer term perspective and the short term inefficiencies are an accepted consequence.

Archived