Orioles looking for Baseball Analytics Intern

Biff Tannen

There is not one thing in this ad that I am qualified for except the part about somebody wanting to work in baseball. But if I was qualified and just out of college, I would be willing to do it for free at this point. Anybody look at the job market lately? This could be a great opportunity. If they ever are looking for a PT, then and only then would I be qualified.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a mortgage, a good job where I make good money and can do whatever I want...and I would still give it up for this job.

Get that application in...

Also, I didn't realize that SPSS is still used. For those of you still in school, I'd recommend learning SQL. It comes in very handy and is a good skill to have.

My youngest son just completed a 3 month college-required internship that ended up costing him over $500 in related expenses for gas, hotels, and food. Glad to hear that such internships are being legally challenged.

Here is an article about it: http://blogs.findlaw.com/in_house/2011/11/black-swan-unpaid-interns-sue-fox-searchlight.html

On the other hand, my daughter just finished a 4-month unpaid internship with a non-profit, that gave her a leg up on a full-time, decent paying job beginning in January. The rules for unpaid internships with non-profits are different than for-profits.

Here is an article about it: http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/12/a-scouting-report-on-ryan-flaherty.html

On the other hand, my daughter just finished a 4-month unpaid internship with a non-profit, that gave her a leg up on a full-time, decent paying job beginning in January. The rules for unpaid internships with non-profits are different than for-profits.

Its a strange thing. I've done it all. I have had unpaid internships where I worked 8-12 hours a day and then got bumped up to paid and then had to work 12-16 hours and having to deal with making crap and then realizing hourly I wasn't making anything at all.

And my cousin graduated top of her class at a good law school where graduates used to make a very good wage and she was offered a job for around 12 an hour that should have paid several times that, simply because the firm could. She turned it down and an unpaid internship led to her making a decent salary in 4 months.

I make decent money now but I often get upset the few times a year I dare divide my salary by my hours worked...

Well, you have the option to put your money where your mouth is. :P

Already did. ;)

But I am at a big disadvantage given the fact that I worked down there and having my employment not end all that great. So, its obviously won't happen but still, no harm in trying. But I am realistic and know nothing will come from it.

Archived