Dan Duquette to be on ESPN Radio with Jim Bowden @2pm.

andrewrickli

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened to Matusz?

I don't have the answer, do know that he won 7 games in a row the year he was brought up.

What got him really upset is that he didn't finish AA and that's something he's always seen contribute to trouble later on.

He also feels Matusz didn't adjust well after everyone got to see him.

Nothing physically wrong, and a lot of interest from others which means we should keep him and work with him.

Is Machado a SS or 1B(3B?)?

He has the first-step quickness to stay at SS, good hands, great arm, needs more power before being good 3B.

Casey: How far away from being a contender?

We've got some good young players to build with, good offense. Wieters, Jones, Davis, Markakis, Reimold mentioned. Really depends on how quickly we can rebuild this pitching staff. Confident we can make some strides in this coming season, strong in pitching and defense "on the field" but need pitching.

I thought his comments regarding Matusz were very revealing. I think he used the term aggravated when he learned that Matusz wasn't allowed to finish the year in AA.

It doesn't sound like he is going to trade Jones or any other core player.

The more I listen to Duquette the more I think he's a what you see is what you get type of person. I tend to take him at his word which is he's going to continue to try to build the pitching staff.

Most interesting thing to me was what he said about Darvish. Appeared to have good info on him and said one could argue that he is the best pitcher on the planet right now. Thinks he can pitch well in the ML. Too bad the Dumbo brothers didn't folow up with "so, why didn't you post for him?" Most likely not because Duq didn't think he was worth it.

Ha, yeah I guess so, huh? It's just funny, he literally gives the same exact interview each time. I like Duquette, I just want to see him be aggressive trying to find more pitching. I still think he's trying to have it both ways a little bit, by keeping the core in tact. We'll see!

I like the way he has gone about keeping the core players so far.

Couple additional/ supplemental pieces

- Chavez is here to "support" Reimold (as you might hope)

- Didn't specifically call Eveland and Wada "Innings eaters". Just mentioned that they both pitched ~200 innings and said he hoped Eveland had figured things out.

- When asked "Will Adam Jones be traded?" DD: "We're not "marketing" Adam Jones". Said it twice. Didn't come off as if he wasn't listening to offers.

Well, nothing new and exciting. But Duq must realize that between the time that Matusz got yanked from AA to the time he got crushed in 2011, he pitched pretty succesfully for 1.3 seasons? He almost makes it sound like Matusz had trouble in 2011 because he didn't get enough time in AA in 2009, which to me is a misdiagnosis. On the other hand, if he is just making the point that our system was so thin that we had to rush Matusz in a way he wants to avoid, I am fine with that.

Let's not forget, though, that before the O's pulled Matusz out of AA, they already had promoted Bergesen, Berken, Hernandez and Tillman from AAA. It is not as though the O's let Matusz leapfrog a bunch of major league-ready AAA pitchers. They had a bunch of cannon fodder at Norfolk at the time, and Matusz's 4.67 ERA at the end of 2009 was respectable and certainly better than what I would have expected from anyone else we had available for a call-up.

Archived