Edwin Jackson: Interested?

SilentJames

I'm willing to bet whoever signs Jackson will be disappointed. I truely don't understand the hype about this guy.

It's not hype. It's just a recognition that he's a solid middle of the rotation starter at a fairly young age. Nobody thinks he's going to be a great pitcher, but he can be a solid contributor to a rotation, and that kind of consistency is worth $10-$15 million a year, in my opinion.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were Edwin Jackson, would you pitch for the Red Sox for one year, or the Orioles for 3 years to land a contract? My guess, is EJ plays more risk to not play in Baltimore with the Sox...unfortunately. Time will tell. My only ? is why so many teams for Edwin? What are his contributions (or lack of) outside of ceiling that allows every team to quickly pass on the baton?

But that point shouldn't be when you aren't good and when you aren't really bringing in a difference making talent.

Sorry to disagree...But if they never upgrade the talent they will always be stuck...Not rebuilding/ Not upgrading

All the Orioles have dones this offseason is to add fringe players, bench upgrades, and some Japanese talent (most Japanese talent - Ichiro & Matsui) has been mediocre. So the Orioles would have to win the lottery to come up with a gem. They havent drafted well enough and even with a competent front office it would take another 10 years to fix the problem that way.

According to the Sun's Dan Connolly:

Right-hander Edwin Jackson, the pitcher with the highest upside remaining on the market, is still available. And so is DH/outfielder Johnny Damon, and some other Boras' clients.

Jackson is the prize here. And the Orioles would love to have him. In fact, I've been told the club would consider a four-year deal for Jackson (something the Orioles and/or EVP Dan Duquette wouldn't usually do for free agent pitchers) given the fact he is only 28. So, yes, they have interest in Jackson.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-may-find-fit-with-players-represented-by-agent-scott-boras-20120125,0,7201113.story?track=rss

But it goes on to say that because of money, signing Jackson is a "long shot."

According to the Sun's Dan Connolly:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-may-find-fit-with-players-represented-by-agent-scott-boras-20120125,0,7201113.story?track=rss

But it goes on to say that because of money, signing Jackson is a "long shot."

Sometimes years gets a player more than money... the Orioles, though, would probably have to offer him at least $12M a year... so would anybody do a 4/$48 for Jackson? Not sure I would, but the Orioles do need a "known" veteran on the staff aside from Guthrie.

In my view if the Orioles are willing to give Jackson a four-year deal, we have to be one of the leading candidates for him for a final destination. How many other teams in baseball, at this stage in the offseason, are prepared to offer a four year deal? Now obviously if it is 4/16 or 4/20 or something dumb like that, then it's meaningless. But if it's anywhere near what Jackson wants in terms of dollars per year, then the Orioles have a good chance at landing him.

Offer 4/44, trade for Burnett, and now you have a semblance of a major league staff. Guthrie, Burnett, Jackson, Lee and Britton. Also allows you the flexibility to trade Guthrie (for Trumbo?) if they feel Hunter, Arrieta or Matusz is ready to step in the rotation.

Have you seen Burnett pitch? He has not been very good in quite some time. imo

Archived