Edwin Jackson: Interested?

SilentJames

Is that a response to my post in some way? Am I missing something?
You're suggesting it would take a 4/48 deal for EJax. What other teams are willing to offer a multiyear contract? I don't see why we have to go nearly that high. 4/36M IMO. The people offering one year deals don't appear to be offereing as much as 10M.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with srmeowmeow.

Jackson is a very solid pitcher. He's had 3 straight good years by fWAR standards and has been good 2 of the last 3 years going by ERA and decent the other year. He's only going into his age 28 season and has pitched at least 183 innings 4 straight years. Pretty good track record. Yeah, in terms of ERA and IP, he's likely to be similar to Guthrie as has been mentioned, but Guts is going into his age 33 season and is in the last year of club control. Jackson is easily the better bet going forward imo due to age and peripherals.

I'd actually like to see what SG has always preached, which is to buy(Jackson) and sell(Guthrie). 4/40-44 would be fine for him imo.

You're suggesting it would take a 4/48 deal for EJax. What other teams are willing to offer a multiyear contract? I don't see why we have to go nearly that high. 4/36M IMO. The people offering one year deals don't appear to be offereing as much as 10M.

Not what I said. 4/48M is the most I would offer. Obviously, if the market's soft, I'd happily sign him for less.

Right now my guess is EJax has an offer from the Sux for 1/8M and an offer from the O's for 4/ 36M. If you were him which would would you take?

O's. Strong FA pitching class next offseason, IIRC. That and you can't take the chance of injury, IMO.

Kuroda received around 11 million with the Yankees. I don;t think eight will be enough. I think the O's would have to go around 42 or more for Jackson.

It's possible, but Kuroda is for one year . The new luxury tax makes those stupid one year deals appear less onerous.

Right now my guess is EJax has an offer from the Sux for 1/8M and an offer from the O's for 4/ 36M. If you were him which would would you take?

Jackson has more than two offers on the table. Boras is always working with teams behind the scenes and I would guess that he signs with a team other than the Orioles or Red Sox.

Kuroda received around 11 million with the Yankees. I don;t think eight will be enough. I think the O's would have to go around 42 or more for Jackson.
The Yankees preferred Kuroda, as did the Sux. Why would we have to go to 4/42? Who is offering him 4 years besides the O's The teams interested in him are more interested in Oswalt for the most part, because he'll take a one year deal. They don't even want to go as high as 8M for Oswalt. Why would they offer more per year to EJax and more years to boot. Oswalt's the better pitcher. I think this is like a Vlad situation where the O's have to avoid bidding against themselves.

Jackson has more than two offers on the table. Boras is always working with teams behind the scenes and I would guess that he signs with a team other than the Orioles or Red Sox.
I doubt there is another offer for more than one year. From what I've read CLE, BOS, and STL, are interested for one year and it looks like STL is close to signing Oswalt. Boston has said they will go after a trade for Floyd, if they don't get Oswalt. According to to MLBTR there is only one team with a multi year offer.

"The Cardinals checked in on Jackson, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweets. The right-hander, who finished the 2011 season in St. Louis, has a multiyear offer from an unknown team that's not the Red Sox or Cardinals" http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/edwin-jackson-rumors-thursday.html

Archived