Edwin Jackson: Interested?

SilentJames

So 3/35 and a fourth year at $15 mil is ok?

More than I what I would spend.

I don't think its a terrible contract, nor do I think its a very good one.

Like RVA said, it should be a club option...no vesting option unless it vest if he only pitches 225 innings in the third year..or something not likely reachable like that.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More than I what I would spend.

I don't think its a terrible contract, nor do I think its a very good one.

Like RVA said, it should be a club option...no vesting option unless it vest if he only pitches 225 innings in the third year..or something not likely reachable like that.

Well he'd be Jeremy Guthrie's age in the final year of that deal. So it wouldn't be horrible.

Well he'd be Jeremy Guthrie's age in the final year of that deal. So it wouldn't be horrible.

I don't like that you've changed your avatar. You're ruining your brand!

But I agree about Jackson. Still don't think it makes a lot of sense for our organization, unless Guthrie is dealt immediately after the signing.

I don't like that you've changed your avatar. You're ruining your brand!

But I agree about Jackson. Still don't think it makes a lot of sense for our organization, unless Guthrie is dealt immediately after the signing.

I don't see why a Guthrie trade would automatically follow a Jackson signing. We need starting pitchers, we need to create more competition, and having both in the rotation wouldn't be bad. Now, if we can get a decent prospect back for Guthrie, then yeah, trade him. But I'm not sure we can.

I don't see why a Guthrie trade would automatically follow a Jackson signing. We need starting pitchers, we need to create more competition, and having both in the rotation wouldn't be bad. Now, if we can get a decent prospect back for Guthrie, then yeah, trade him. But I'm not sure we can.

There's such a thing as too much competition. We've already got lots of it. If we signed Jackson and kept Guthrie, here would be the pitchers fighting for one of the five spots:

1. Jackson

2. Guthrie

3. Chen

4. Britton

5. Arrieta

6. Matusz

7. Hunter

8. Wada

9. Tillman

That's pushing it. There's competition and then there's blocking your prospects/young arms.

There's such a thing as too much competition. We've already got lots of it. If we signed Jackson and kept Guthrie, here would be the pitchers fighting for one of the five spots:

1. Jackson

2. Guthrie

3. Chen

4. Britton

5. Arrieta

6. Matusz

7. Hunter

8. Wada

9. Tillman

That's pushing it. There's competition and then there's blocking your prospects/young arms.

There's two spots in a rotation with Jackson, Guthrie, Chen, for 3 prospects, Matusz, Britton, and Arrieta. That's competition

Except Hunter and Wada are likely in the rotation as well.
Only if they pitch better than Britton, Arrieta, and Matusz. Matusz would have to be completely recovered and then some, to get a spot right away, but I have little doubt, barring injury, that Arrieta and Britton will be in the rotation as well.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-notes-on-edwin-jackson-and-koji-uehara-20120128,0,1991792.story

Judging by this article, I would say the Orioles will give him an relatively easily reachable vesting 4th year option....Perhaps he throws 200 IP in the 3rd year or combined for 350 in the final 2 years...something like that.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-notes-on-edwin-jackson-and-koji-uehara-20120128,0,1991792.story

Judging by this article, I would say the Orioles will give him an relatively easily reachable vesting 4th year option....Perhaps he throws 200 IP in the 3rd year or combined for 350 in the final 2 years...something like that.

It won't matter.

How has Jackson done against the AL East? I know he has somewhat thrived in the NL (with StL).

vs. Yankees: 16 games (12 starts), 2-6, 5.35

vs. Red Sox: 13 games (10 starts), 2-4, 5.49

vs. Blue Jays: 14 games (13 starts), 3-3, 4.34

vs. Rays: 4 games (4 starts), 3-1, 2.25

vs. Orioles: 9 games (7 starts), 5-1, 3.61

1. Jackson

2. Guthrie

3. Chen

4. Britton

5. Arrieta

6. Matusz

7. Hunter

8. Wada

9. Tillman

Not sure if Tillman and Matusz/Arrieta are ML quality starters. They could be more suited to the bullpen.

Not sure if Tillman and Matusz/Arrieta are ML quality starters. They could be more suited to the bullpen.

Well the best way to find out is usually by giving them ML starts, not just assuming and sticking them in the bullpen.

vs. Yankees: 16 games (12 starts), 2-6, 5.35

vs. Red Sox: 13 games (10 starts), 2-4, 5.49

vs. Blue Jays: 14 games (13 starts), 3-3, 4.34

vs. Rays: 4 games (4 starts), 3-1, 2.25

vs. Orioles: 9 games (7 starts), 5-1, 3.61

He'll fit right in!

Archived