The Orioles acquired outfielder Jai Miller from the Athletics

Greg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never had more than 18 homers at any level until this year and 179 Ks in 475 ABS:eektf:

He had 19 homers in 2008 and he has never had 500 plate appearances. Even with the 179 Ks he had a .368 OBP.

His OBP took a huge jump at the higher levels, does the PCL effect explain this or does that only apply to power numbers?

Also, Matt Angle is a 5th outfielder at best.

Another snore fest depth move, whopie

Just because it isn't exciting doesn't mean it isn't a good move. Only cost money and could be a late-bloomer type guy. Never looks like he got a shot at all, only 68 ABs over three years. This is the type of move that has the potential to blow up huge for a team.

So, the question is this.

Is Miller a guy they see as a 4th OFer?

If so, at this moment in time, does adding another potential decent bench guy who can do some things well, make it easier for DD to pull the trigger on dealing Jones?

Miller seems to be a better guy than Angle, so that is an improvement.

I am not saying I want Miller or Chavez to start in CF but that's not the point. Who cares about that right now.

The point is that if the Orioles are looking to move Jones and if they are moving in the direction of getting a deal done, did a minor move like this need to be made, for depth purposes, to increase the chances of that happening?

So, the question is this.

Is Miller a guy they see as a 4th OFer?

If so, at this moment in time, does adding another potential decent bench guy who can do some things well, make it easier for DD to pull the trigger on dealing Jones?

Miller seems to be a better guy than Angle, so that is an improvement.

I am not saying I want Miller or Chavez to start in CF but that's not the point. Who cares about that right now.

The point is that if the Orioles are looking to move Jones and if they are moving in the direction of getting a deal done, did a minor move like this need to be made, for depth purposes, to increase the chances of that happening?

Or, could they be bringing in a bunch of people to compete for LF? Miller is supposed to be a great defender who never got a shot to stick on an ML team. Gaudy numbers in the PCL (of course that is the PCL) but this move kind of has a certain whiff of "maybe the Orioles found someone that was overlooked".

I think that DD is looking more for a LF'er than he is moving Jones.

Wow, he has had two diff minor league careers. For a while he must have been wondering whether or not he'd ever get outta A ball. Some sort of switch turned on at age 22-23...or someone changed his approach.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=miller001ran

Dude looks like Mark Reynolds. Just with a much better glove and only good, but not great power.

Wow, he has had two diff minor league careers. For a while he must have been wondering whether or not he'd ever get outta A ball. Some sort of switch turned on at age 22-23...or someone changed his approach.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=miller001ran

Really like those OBP numbers. They start big in the Southern League and continue through the PCL.

Of course you take the power numbers with a grain of salt thanks to his league, but I like the OBP.

179 strike outs in 110 games or so in AAA? Mark Reynolds didn't do that in his entire minor league career. Geez I can't wait until he gets to the big leagues to see if he ever hits the ball. The orioles are really dumpster diving this offseason.

Archived