Update on Jones to the Braves for Jurrjens, Prado, Plus

Roll Tide

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Braves fans complain they give up too much and O's fans complain they did not get enough back,then this might be a fair trade.

A trade can be fair value, but still not be a good idea. I think it the Orioles get back Jair Jurrgens, Martin Prado and a reasonable prospect for Adam Jones, they would be getting very good overall value in return, but would it be the right kind of value?

The Orioles need pitching and a replacement for Roberts that can put up a good OBP and hit atop a line-up. They also need more depth in the minors. By the looks of it, they get all three in this deal with only creating one additional hole. Sounds good so far. The only problem, however, is that even with those holes filled, the team is still a far cry from a contender.

Overall, Jurrgens is a question mark in the AL East and I doubt can become anything more than a middle of the rotation arm (at best). Prado is solid, but already 28. To me, if you deal Jones, you don't look to do so to fill holes in the 2012 team, you do so to find the best possible talent to help the team over the next decade.

If Braves fans complain they give up too much and O's fans complain they did not get enough back,then this might be a fair trade.

Maybe, but the fans are never right. It is only my opinion, but I want quantity due to guys failing as they develop. Jurrjens is a solid piece IMO and he is a guy that COULD be flipped for a ton based on what we see young starters going for these days, but he could also injury his arm and make this deal look like a wash and feel even worse. I am not going to judge them until a deal goes down and I can judge the return. That being said, I see a lot of risk in giving up Jones for JJ and Prado alone and that has nothing to do with Braves fans.

A trade can be fair value, but still not be a good idea. I think it the Orioles get back Jair Jurrgens, Martin Prado and a reasonable prospect for Adam Jones, they would be getting very good overall value in return, but would it be the right kind of value?

The Orioles need pitching and a replacement for Roberts that can put up a good OBP and hit atop a line-up. They also need more depth in the minors. By the looks of it, they get all three in this deal with only creating one additional hole. Sounds good so far. The only problem, however, is that even with those holes filled, the team is still a far cry from a contender.

Overall, Jurrgens is a question mark in the AL East and I doubt can become anything more than a middle of the rotation arm (at best). Prado is solid, but already 28. To me, if you deal Jones, you don't look to do so to fill holes in the 2012 team, you do so to find the best possible talent to help the team over the next decade.

Jurrjens could be dealt for a package of prospects at the deadline providing he stays healthy.

The Orioles need to be dealing Jones for the package that improves the team in 2014 and 2015 as they are likely to lose in 2012 and 2013 no matter what the return is for Jones.

Jurrjens could be dealt for a package of prospects at the deadline providing he stays healthy.

He sure could, but that is coupled with "if he stays healthy" and "he performs at a high level" IMO. A second high-end pitching prospect mitigates the risk IMO. If JJ gets injured and the Orioles just have Prado than the Braves won that trade because I feel that we could find a second baseman like Prado easier than a center fielder like Jones. There are a ton of guys I would add to the deal, but I want another quality starter back in the deal.

Maybe, but the fans are never right. It is only my opinion, but I want quantity due to guys failing as they develop. Jurrjens is a solid piece IMO and he is a guy that COULD be flipped for a ton based on what we see young starters going for these days, but he could also injury his arm and make this deal look like a wash and feel even worse. I am not going to judge them until a deal goes down and I can judge the return. That being said, I see a lot of risk in giving up Jones for JJ and Prado alone and that has nothing to do with Braves fans.

The opening thread post gives the impression that they've agreed on Jones for Jurrjens or Prado , and ___________ and/or ____________.

The talks for Jones remain 'fluid', according to sources, although it appears the two sides cannot agree on which pitching prospects to include along with Martin Prado or Jair Jurrjens.

If I'm the O's, I'm not really keen on getting Prado with the intention of flipping him in the near future. We've already seen how that has gone with Guthrie. I know DD isn't AM, but still.

Hopefully DD can work this all out now so we essentially flip JJ in the original trade.

The opening thread post gives the impression that they've agreed on Jones for Jurrjens or Prado , and ___________ and/or ____________.

You are right. It sounds like the Orioles are trying to get Jurrjens and a pair of pitchers back, because if they wanted Prado than he wouldn't have been referenced in a possible trade with the Rox. If the Orioles can land JJ, Delgado/Minor and one of the better arms on the Rockies than we might have a deal. I would rather see us get all the pitching we can and be in a better position to keep or deal some of our own guys for an offensive upgrade at 1B or 2B.

Seems like they've talked for too long for nothing to happen. I like Jones, but if you get Jurrjens, Prado and anything else of value, I think we should be happy with that.

I like Jurrjens, but why Prado would be coming back is a mystery to me-- unless we hope he rebounds and can net more in a trade later. Still, I would have to really like that third player coming back to accept a [Jurrjens, Prado, plus a prospect] package.

Archived