Offer to Angels on the table

bigbird

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have to wonder if this offer has come now thanks to the displeasure the Angels GM has expressed over the Marlins.

Anyway, I like this trade a lot and probably isn't really that far-fetched. Brandon Wood is a really glamorous prospect, but it's not like the guy is without flaws. And Joe Saunders is a quality major league pitcher. He'll be 27 next year, so there doesn't appear to be a lot of upside here, but it seems like he'll continue being a quality back of the rotation starter.

I have to wonder if this trade is better for the Angels organization anyway. Cabrera is a pretty good player, but getting him was going to require Kendrick, who could definitely end up being a much better baseball player than Cabrera anyway. Trading Kendrick and keeping Wood really wouldn't have been a smart move. I would be blown away if Wood is as good a ballplayer as Kendrick when it's all said and done. I don't remember ever seeing a prospect come up that seemed so damn poised to be a career .330 major league hitter.

Regardless, I really like this trade. I don't remember the last time the Orioles traded a cornerstone veteran for a cornerstone prospect. Even if Tejada wins the MVP next year, and Wood is nothing more than the next Russell Branyan, this is a trade you have to make right now

I agree, I think getting Tejada is a better move for them. They get to keep Kendrick and Adenhart plus get a guy who will hit 25-30 HR and 110 Rbi. The problem is Moreno has Steinbrenner disease he wants to win even ir he loses money on the deal. I only we could find an owner like this.

That has to be a determining factor in whether we ask for LaRoche or Hu in a Bedard deal to LA doesnt it?

You would think.

Wood seems to be a solid defensive player...Since that is the case, give me the higher upside of LaRoche over Hu, even though Hu's defense is better.

Although, if you trade BRob, maybe you can also get Hu and put him at second??

Good stuff. I'll take my chances on Wood/Saunders any day of the week for Tejada. Despite Moreno's whinings, I think the Angels will still see what happens with Cabrera before moving on Tejada. As for Bedard, I don't think we'll get the king's ransom this offseason. We might have to wait for the deadline to get maximum value. I just hope Bedard keeps up his end of the deal.

I still think we'll get good return for Bedard and in this offseason. They're going to hold out for the best possible return, but they're still making that move before the season starts. Mets are going after him hard, we're probably waiting on that b/c we like the dodgers pieces better and hope they're willing to part with more to get him. Who knows where he'll end up, but I would put money on it that Bedard is not the O's OD starter.

I would rather have Ervin Santana than Saunders. Santana doesn't appear to be in their immediate plans (unless converted to relief role), so maybe if we held out for Santana they would cave ?

At the end of the day though, if the Angels didn't cave in and upgrade from Saunders to Santana (or better yet add Santana to Wood/Saunders) I would hold my nose and pull the trigger on Wood/Saunders.

Santana may be DCab-the Sequel, but he does have a lot of upside.

Saunders is what he is..... hopefully an adequate 5th SP. I don't like that he is already 27 yrs old.

Who knows ? Maybe he will improve. Maybe he will morph into a Jamie Moyer clone.

And they also have shown interest in Tony Clark. Hmm maybe Loney is expendable in their eyes

Or maybe they would rather trade Loney than Kemp...If that is the case, I am fine with that.

BB has mentioned that we would still trade for a LFer, so maybe he has heard they like Loney more and the Dodgers would prefer to trade him???

Just a thought.

Loney would be a great get.

If it were Loney, maybe we could get Ethier and LaRoche, along with Kershaw for Bedard and someone else????

Of course, if not Tejada or BRob, not sure what else they could use?

They could potentially have an interest in Payton to back up in the OF and we take back Loaiza but they would need another player...Maybe a guy like Hoey or Liz?

I would rather have Ervin Santana than Saunders. Santana doesn't appear to be in their immediate plans (unless converted to relief role), so maybe if we held out for Santana they would cave ?

At the end of the day though, if the Angels didn't cave in and upgrade from Saunders to Santana (or better yet add Santana to Wood/Saunders) I would hold my nose and pull the trigger on Wood/Saunders.

Saunders is what he is..... hopefully an adequate 5th SP. I don't like that he is already 27 yrs old.

Who knows ? Maybe he will improve. Maybe he will morph into a Jamie Moyer clone.

I would like Santana as well. I doubt Saunders improves to be anything more than a 5th start. I believe AM plan is to shop Saunders to another team for a Lfer.

You would think.

Wood seems to be a solid defensive player...Since that is the case, give me the higher upside of LaRoche over Hu, even though Hu's defense is better.

Although, if you trade BRob, maybe you can also get Hu and put him at second??

Agreed I'd rather have a left side of Wood/LaRoche than Hu/Wood, even though Hu is supposedly spectacular at short, most things I've read about Wood rate him above average.

As much as we probably should be looking to deal BRob, I just don't see any chance that its gonna happen. I would be absolutely shocked if he wasn't leading off at second for us on opening day.

BTW, if we do things right with the other deals, and get a right handed hitting utility infielder so BRob sits against most lefties, I'd consider giving him an extension.

I agree with this post...I would prefer Santana as well.

I would think the Angels would prefer to trade Santana as well but maybe, since his value is down and his upside is high, they will keep him.

Plus, they may lose KRod and perhaps, there is some thinking in converting Santana to a closer?

I'll speak for SG.

I am pretty sure he is saying expecting Kemp, Kershaw, AND Loney is too much. As in, if the Dodgers went for it, we should be ALLL over it.

I doubt they are trading Loney. We need to bring our offer down to LaRoche instead of Loney.

This is the deal I'm expecting if we trade with the Dodges. Kershaw, Kemp and LaRoche.

That has to be a determining factor in whether we ask for LaRoche or Hu in a Bedard deal to LA doesnt it?

Definetely. I like Wood- as a SS. If he can't handle that position then he loses a lot of his sparkle BUT all we've heard this offseason is that indeed he can.

We still need a CF. If we move Tejada for Wood/Saunders and Bedard for Kemp/LaRoche/Kershaw then we still have a whole in CF- and one not covered potentially by our farm system. The next move, imo, would be to move Roberts for a young CF and 2b, or at least the parts in order to aquire those pieces.

Wood/Saunders now vs Aybar/Santana last year.....Which package is higher/better?

BTW, you bring up a good point.

Bigbird, if you are still on here and reading this thread, is there a guage on if the Angels would seriously consider this trade?

At the time, I think Santana/Aybar was probably a little more valuable, but again, that's what they actually offered us, not what we're asking for now.

But Wood/Saunders compared to LaRoche/Hu, or Pie/Marmol plus others that were being thrown around, or Wood plus better player than Saunders that was often discussed?

I don't think this is as good as those trades that you and others thought we might be able to get for Tejada.

I agree with this post...I would prefer Santana as well.

I would think the Angels would prefer to trade Santana as well but maybe, since his value is down and his upside is high, they will keep him.

Plus, they may lose KRod and perhaps, there is some thinking in converting Santana to a closer?

I think that's pretty self-evident. But who would you rather have: Ayabar or Wood? IMO, it ain't even close. Wood's ceiling is far higher, and I'd be shocked if he didn't have a longer more productive career.

At the time, I think Santana/Aybar was probably a little more valuable, but again, that's what they actually offered us, not what we're asking for now.

But Wood/Saunders compared to LaRoche/Hu, or Pie/Marmol plus others that were being thrown around, or Wood plus better player than Saunders that was often discussed?

I don't think this is as good as those trades that you and others thought we might be able to get for Tejada.

This I do agree with although the LaRoche/Hu deal is potentially possible I think.

However, i would say Wood/Saunders is better than a lot of doom and gloomers were saying around here for Miggy.

But, as you said, this is what we are offering, not the other way around.

So who knows right now.

Archived