Offer to Angels on the table

bigbird

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems you don't want Loney and are leaning towards Hu. No Loney means no Tex?

I'll speak for SG.

I am pretty sure he is saying expecting Kemp, Kershaw, AND Loney is too much. As in, if the Dodgers went for it, we should be ALLL over it.

I doubt they are trading Loney. We need to bring our offer down to LaRoche instead of Loney.

If we can get a .500+ SLG out of him the .325 OBP would be acceptable.

Yeah, I guess you're right, but I'd rather have more balance....

We're just a team thats been so crappy in the On base department for so long. Gradually seem to be changing that, but IMO it's one of the biggest things holding this team back.

I just have to think Tejada is worth more than a minor leaguer and a back of the rotation pitcher. I guess I'm wrong.

Dudes got good power potential, but not a fan of his on base percentage, especially his k/bb ratio....He hasn't even shown any improvement on that through his stops through the minors.

I hope we don't end up with a SS who can go deep but has a .300-.325 on base percentage, thats my biggest fear when talking about Wood.

I'd be a little more optimistic about him if he'd shown improvement in this area along the way...but he hasn't, therefore I'm a bit guarded here.

Really really really wishing we'd send Tejada to the Dodgers with Bedard.

His career OBP in the minors was .348. I would think he would fall into the .325-.350 range in the majors.

I hope we don't end up with a SS who can go deep but has a .300-.325 on base percentage, thats my biggest fear when talking about Wood.

Those numbers will be even less impressive if -as I expect- the Orioles realize he belongs at 3B rather than SS within a couple of years.

Saunders is nothing special but he throws strikes and ground balls.

He doesn't give up many homers and can probably have his K rate in the respectable 6-6.5 range.

Cheap back of the rotation starter.

Wood has great upside...Maybe it never happens for him and maybe he becomes a beast.

Either way, for Tejada, I don't see how you can expect more than this...A ML ready starter that can go right into the rotation and your possible long term solution at SS who has 30+ homer power.

Bigbird...Will they use Wood at SS or third? Any idea?

That would be a good trade, but I also think this shows his value wasn't quite as high as some suggested on here. Keep in mind this is what we're offering, so we probably won't this much. I think Saunders is likely a #5 starter at best, so not that big of an addition.

You have to wonder if this offer has come now thanks to the displeasure the Angels GM has expressed over the Marlins.

Anyway, I like this trade a lot and probably isn't really that far-fetched. Brandon Wood is a really glamorous prospect, but it's not like the guy is without flaws. And Joe Saunders is a quality major league pitcher. He'll be 27 next year, so there doesn't appear to be a lot of upside here, but it seems like he'll continue being a quality back of the rotation starter.

I have to wonder if this trade is better for the Angels organization anyway. Cabrera is a pretty good player, but getting him was going to require Kendrick, who could definitely end up being a much better baseball player than Cabrera anyway. Trading Kendrick and keeping Wood really wouldn't have been a smart move. I would be blown away if Wood is as good a ballplayer as Kendrick when it's all said and done. I don't remember ever seeing a prospect come up that seemed so damn poised to be a career .330 major league hitter.

Regardless, I really like this trade. I don't remember the last time the Orioles traded a cornerstone veteran for a cornerstone prospect. Even if Tejada wins the MVP next year, and Wood is nothing more than the next Russell Branyan, this is a trade you have to make right now

If we were to add Millar maybe we can get it done...?

I doubt it....They have Nomar don't forget and if they don't trade LaRoche, i would assume he would start at third for them.

I don't think we can expect both of them, even if they ended up getting Miggy.

Now, if they would consider BRob and moved Kent to first(if he doesn't retire), then maybe we can get them both.

Personally, i think that is the only way.

Saunders is nothing special but he throws strikes and ground balls.

He doesn't give up many homers and can probably have his K rate in the respectable 6-6.5 range.

Cheap back of the rotation starter.

Wood has great upside...Maybe it never happens for him and maybe he becomes a beast.

Either way, for Tejada, I don't see how you can expect more than this...A ML ready starter that can go right into the rotation and your possible long term solution at SS who has 30+ homer power.

Bigbird...Will they use Wood at SS or third? Any idea?

That has to be a determining factor in whether we ask for LaRoche or Hu in a Bedard deal to LA doesnt it?

I doubt it....They have Nomar don't forget and if they don't trade LaRoche, i would assume he would start at third for them.

I don't think we can expect both of them, even if they ended up getting Miggy.

Now, if they would consider BRob and moved Kent to first(if he doesn't retire), then maybe we can get them both.

Personally, i think that is the only way.

And they also have shown interest in Tony Clark. Hmm maybe Loney is expendable in their eyes

That would be a good trade, but I also think this shows his value wasn't quite as high as some suggested on here. Keep in mind this is what we're offering, so we probably won't this much. I think Saunders is likely a #5 starter at best, so not that big of an addition.

Wood/Saunders now vs Aybar/Santana last year.....Which package is higher/better?

BTW, you bring up a good point.

Bigbird, if you are still on here and reading this thread, is there a guage on if the Angels would seriously consider this trade?

Archived