Duke vs Maryland

Brendan25

THere was a poster ont his board named Steel Curtain who claimed to be an Orioles fan but only posted in the NFL section and NHL section about the Steelers and Penguins mostly -- I checked once and he had very few Orioles posts. He was met with a ton of hostility and rightly so.

Yeah, of course.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Backtracking a little, I'm reading John Fienstein's new book, and he tells a story in there about an interview he did with Lefty in the mid 70s when the ACC was considering going from 2 to 3 referees. Lefty joked that the reason he was against it "so it wouldn't be 8 on 5 when we played Dean, 7 on 5 was bad enough".

Funny.

BTW, it's kind of silly for a bandwagon Duke fan living in MD and posting on a MD forum to take comments directed at Duke or his fandom of them so personally to the point where you think less of MD's fans and "can't wait to rub their faces in it"

If a bandwagon fan of the Yankees, Red Sox, or Steelers was living in this state and posting on this board and being annoyingly vocal about their support of said team, I'd expect them to have a lot of negative stuff said toward them as well. That's just the way sports fandom works and is not a poor reflection on the fanbase of the O's, Ravens, or Terps in this case.

THere was a poster ont his board named Steel Curtain who claimed to be an Orioles fan but only posted in the NFL section and NHL section about the Steelers and Penguins mostly -- I checked once and he had very few Orioles posts. He was met with a ton of hostility and rightly so.
SG certainly trolls this section of the board at times. We just need to make sure we call him out on it every time he does it.

SG certainly trolls this section of the board at times. We just need to make sure we call him out on it every time he does it.

He's usually fine regarding MD, but like I said, it's just ridiculous for him to think less of MD fans or want to be db's back to them because of the way they treat him. It should be obvious why his encounters with MD fans aren't always pleasant and it's not reflective of the MD fan base.

He's usually fine regarding MD, but like I said, it's just ridiculous for him to think less of MD fans or want to be db's back to them because of the way they treat him. It should be obvious why his encounters with MD fans aren't always pleasant and it's not reflective of the MD fan base.
And you are a perfect example of that fan I am talking about.

And I don't think less of MD fans at all.

I have a cousin who's a Cowboys fan and lives in Owings Mills so he is surrounded by Ravens fans and Ravens sports talk and he routinely says the Ravens fans are whiners, rags on the fan base, etc..

However, in Dallas, I am sure there are the same kind of people making the same kind of calls to sports talk shows. He just doesn't see and hear it because he lives here. After missing the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years I am sure they are whining up a storm down there.

I think this is the same thing that's happening with SG and MD fans.

I do think fans, in general, are whiners and you typically hear the whiners more than you do the normal, level-headed fan because he generates the most attention and hatred from people.

However, I also do believe that being rivals with the best teams in your sport create an empathy amongst a fan base and Baltimore / MD fans pretty much have that in every sport in which we have a team. Duke, Steelers and Yankees. So it's normal to have an inferiority complex when it comes to those teams.

All in all, arguing about fans is stupid. All fan bases have their a-holes.

As for SG, I have known him for a long time and he is a great guy but I really can't stand his Duke shtick. He is an Orioles and Ravens fan but he must've been bumped on the head a a child and that can explain why he somehow became a Duke fan. :cool:

All in all, arguing about fans is stupid. All fan bases have their a-holes.

As for SG, I have known him for a long time and he is a great guy but I really can't stand his Duke shtick. He is an Orioles and Ravens fan but he must've been bumped on the head a a child and that can explain why he somehow became a Duke fan. :cool:

I agree, it's pointless and gets you nowhere. Not to mention annoying.

And you are a perfect example of that fan I am talking about.

And I don't think less of MD fans at all.

Umm, this is what you said:

But the fans of the Terps are just awful on so many levels. Not all of you. There are a lot of people on this board that are a lot of fun to go back and forth with about MD..but there is enough of the dbags that you just can't wait to rub their faces in it.

But you don't think less of MD fans at all?

And what type of fan am I SG?

Only certain ones..just as is the case with all teams' fans.

Well your post suggested more of a problem with MD fans than others, hence why you dislike MD more than UNC in a lot of ways.

And I'm honored to be one of the "certain ones" for some unexplained reason.

OH, or any team's message board is an odd place because while we are all Orioles' fans different people here are fans of other teams, sometimes that are rivals and this can tend to rear it's ugly head.

I'm a die-hard Lakers fan and I'd imagine that if the Lakers were somehow rivals with the equivalent of a Baltimore-based Boston Celtics I'd get in my fair share of fights. A modicum of decency is needed and, for the most part, I try to just stay away from debates like that.

Off the top of my head I know SG is a dook fan (as is Frobby). Beaner likes UNC. Goober Noodles loves the Steelers. Geschinger is a Colts' fan. Hank Scorpio likes Michigan. LedZepp likes WVU and Moose Milligan is the most self-hating Redskins fan I've ever met.

You take the good with the bad and while I know for a fact I've beefed with SG over dook/MD (and I'm sure others), what these folks bring to the board far outweighs any differences we might have with regards to teams outside of baseball.

If this was TerpsHangout.com and SG came on here trolling about dook it would be a little different.

OH, or any team's message board is an odd place because while we are all Orioles' fans different people here are fans of other teams, sometimes that are rivals and this can tend to rear it's ugly head.

I'm a die-hard Lakers fan and I'd imagine that if the Lakers were somehow rivals with the equivalent of a Baltimore-based Boston Celtics I'd get in my fair share of fights. A modicum of decency is needed and, for the most part, I try to just stay away from debates like that.

Off the top of my head I know SG is a dook fan (as is Frobby). Beaner likes UNC. Goober Noodles loves the Steelers. Geschinger is a Colts' fan. Hank Scorpio likes Michigan. LedZepp likes WVU and Moose Milligan is the most self-hating Redskins fan I've ever met.

You take the good with the bad and while I know for a fact I've beefed with SG over dook/MD (and I'm sure others), what these folks bring to the board far outweighs any differences we might have with regards to teams outside of baseball.

If this was TerpsHangout.com and SG came on here trolling about dook it would be a little different.

Good post and I agree.

So I agree that it's nice to have perspectives from fans of other teams, but when it's a fan of the most hated rival who is also a superior team/program, then there's a fine line on how that fan should procede. Just like you say with the modicum of deceny is needed.

Concerning some of the posters you mention, Frobby rarely posts in this forum and does like MD and Beaner likes a team that most of us don't have near the problem with. Plus, there is a big difference in posting style between Frobby/Beaner and SG, or us for that matter.

Of course, to me there is also a difference when one is a bandwagon fan compared to having gone to that school, or lived there, or whatever other legit reason for liking the team.

And again, someone like SG should realize that if he's going to post in the MD forum, especially with his posting style, that sometimes fans are not going to be receptive towards his presence and that's not a negative reflection on said fans for the most part, it's just the reality of the situation.

Good post and I agree.

So I agree that it's nice to have perspectives from fans of other teams, but when it's a fan of the most hated rival who is also a superior team/program, then there's a fine line on how that fan should procede. Just like you say with the modicum of deceny is needed.

Concerning some of the posters you mention, Frobby rarely posts in this forum and does like MD and Beaner likes a team that most of us don't have near the problem with. Plus, there is a big difference in posting style between Frobby/Beaner and SG, or us for that matter.

Of course, to me there is also a difference when one is a bandwagon fan compared to having gone to that school, or lived there, or whatever other legit reason for liking the team.

And again, someone like SG should realize that if he's going to post in the MD forum, especially with his posting style, that sometimes fans are not going to be receptive towards his presence and that's not a negative reflection on said fans for the most part, it's just the reality of the situation.

Don't disagree with any of this.

Archived