Orioles sign former Cardinals prospect, Stu Pomeranz

Bazooka Jones

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per: Kevin Goldstein via Twitter

The Orioles signed former Cardinals RHP prospect Stu Pomeranz, whose career was racked by injuries.

If this foolishness continues, I'll be convinced that this is a Marx Brothers routine come to life. Or an old Woody Woodpecker cartoon on a baseball field.

If this foolishness continues, I'll be convinced that this is a Marx Brothers routine come to life. Or an old Woody Woodpecker cartoon on a baseball field.

Ah yes, cue another 10 page thread of complaints about nobodies signed to minor league contracts.

Would this happen if we stopped signing awful cast off guys?

Dude, every team signs awful cast-off guys to minor league deals all the time. This guy probably won't even sniff the majors and he isn't taking up a spot on the roster from what I can tell. The Yankees signed Russell Branyan yesterday, are they a "Marx Brothers routine come to life"? I mean I can certainly understand your frustrations about the state of the Orioles but signing warm bodies to fill up the minors isn't a bad thing.

Dude, every team signs awful cast-off guys to minor league deals all the time. This guy probably won't even sniff the majors and he isn't taking up a spot on the roster from what I can tell. The Yankees signed Russell Branyan yesterday, are they a "Marx Brothers routine come to life"? I mean I can certainly understand your frustrations about the state of the Orioles but signing warm bodies to fill up the minors isn't a bad thing.

The Yankees have won a few championships in the last 15 years. I don't want to be negative or anything but the orioles have a few warm bodies on the mlb roster too.

The Yankees have won a few championships in the last 15 years. I don't want to be negative or anything but the orioles have a few warm bodies on the mlb roster too.

So the Orioles shouldn't acquire anyone - literally no one - unless it's a solid major league player who can help the team immediately? I don't understand this opinion but I doubt I'll sway yours so whatever. This guy is minor league filler, it's an absolutely neutral move.

So the Orioles shouldn't acquire anyone - literally no one - unless it's a solid major league player who can help the team immediately? I don't understand this opinion but I doubt I'll sway yours so whatever. This guy is minor league filler, it's an absolutely neutral move.

Exactly.

Yes, there are several 'warm bodies' (or lackluster players) on the major league roster. Yes, our team is nowhere near talented enough to compete. Yes, we don't look to have much hope over the next few years, either.

That said, why don't people focus their frustration on that instead of complaining about generic moves like this. This move was to get an arm in the rotation (or pen) for the AA Bowie team. He WILL not make the major league squad or see a game for the Orioles. We don't have a deep enough farm system to fill out our entire minor league system with legit prospects (no team is, but especially not us) so organizational filler is needed. He'll pitch in our farm system for a year or two and then be gone and forgotten. Nothing to see here.

Archived