Matt Angle DFAed

ChaosLex

What is the process for waivers now that he has been released?

Technically, being DFA'd is not the same as being released. I believe other clubs have 3 days to make a claim. If a teams claims him, he has to go on their 40-man roster. If he isn't claimed within 3 days, he stays in the Orioles' system.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Technically, being DFA'd is not the same as being released. I believe other clubs have 3 days to make a claim. If a teams claims him, he has to go on their 40-man roster. If he isn't claimed within 3 days, he stays in the Orioles' system.

Thanks Frobby. I feel pretty confident somebody will put him on a 40-man somewhere. He is gone.

I don't think it comes down to Miller vs. Angle. It comes down to Endy Chavez vs. Matt Angle, Xavier Avery and Trenty Mummey vs. Matt Angle. Matt Angle could have been optioned to the minors. Jai Miller cannot without the risk of being lost. Jai Miller is no lock to make the team. I don't think this was Jai Miller vs. Matt Angle. Endy Chavez took Matt Angle's potential job. The O's feel they can afford the loss of Matt Angle as they hope to have a better version of Matt Angle in the next year or two in Trent Mummey. Xavier Avery is along the same lines of player with a lot less polish, of course. Angle still could have helped this team, this year, if injuries occurred. I think it's a very minor mistake in letting him go at this point. Personally, after seeing Josh Bell the last two years, his release would have been a no brainer for me. He can't hit or field and he really hasn't even conquered AAA pitching. The same could be said for Angle as far as hitting in AAA but he seems a lot closer to it than Bell, and offers defense, baserunning, bunting, and even ML quality AB's.

You make some good points in this post, but Avery is nothing like Angle IMO. He's actually more like Miller.

Right, they have 10 days to do something with him, but have 7 days to place him on waivers (assuming they want to keep him).

Kind of surprised. Matt Angle can help a ML team. Josh Bell showed no ML talent whatsoever and he's still got a 40 man spot. I think Angle may be a victim of having similar players a step behind him in the system in Xavier Avery, and moreso Trent Mummey.

Agreed. Very questionable decision here. Jai Miller has a lot of miss in his bat and besides Power, Angle is a better overall player. Very strange decision but strange is starting to become the norm with Duquette.

Ryan Flaherty: Rule 5, probably wont stick, Matt Angle will probably be a more valuable MLB option over his career

Josh Bell: shows no real MLB value. If he can play 3B maybe there is something, but if he cant? he's more or less worthless.

Alfredo Simon: maybe more valuable? Maybe? In what capacity, Im not sure.

Endy Chavez: who would you rather have, 34 year old 4th outfielder (at best) for a non-contending team or a 26 year old 4th outfielder (at best) for a non-contending team. I know my answer.

Luis Ayala: Old reliever off a career year signed on with a non-contending team. For a million dollars. What purpose will he serve us, now and in the future? This whole idea is just dumb. Either rebuild or contend. Middling performances, 81-81, what does it matter? Either build to the future, or win now. Stop messing around in this blackhole.

Why? Matt Angle is a bench option; a pinch runner or good for a bunt. Don't be ridiculous.

Angle was the new Brandon Fahey.

Glad to see our roster is talented enough to not have to worry about him as being depth.

Miller is a much more valuable player.

Matt Angle: Age 26. Major League WAR 0.2 (96 ABs, oWAR 0.4; dWAR -0.2)

Jai Miller: Age 27. Major League WAR -0.1 (422 ABs, oWar -0.1; dWar 0.0)

Minor League numbers: Jai Miller: .244/.328/.425 slash over 3276 ABs

72.3% steal (120/46)

CF Fld%: .978 (MiL)

Matt Angle: .285/.372/.351 slash over 2054 ABs

82.4% steal (169/36)

CF Fld%: .993 (MiL)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=miller001ran

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=angle-001mat

Jai Miller pops 32 HRs in the PCL with a 179/54 K/BB ratio (in AAA) and you're all set to say he's better than Angle?

Angle could be a great role player on the team if he could figure out how to keep his OBP up alittle. Pinch runners are great to have on the bench, especially good ones. Plus he can play good defense? Jai Miller may hit some more HRs but I'd rather Angle. Any number of pitchers would be preferable to be kicked off before Angle for me. I'm pretty disappointed in this move.

Miller looks to me like Jake Fox part II. Bergesen, Berken, and even Simon are all below average, dime for a dozen RH relief pitchers...Flaherty is unlikely to have a real chance to contribute to the future of this team...Roberts won't ever play another game, IMO. Not saying Angle is a savior but he at least has a couple useful tricks up his sleeve unlike a lot of other guys on the roster.

Archived