Big day for Wada

Frobby

If Tsuyoshi Wada wants to have a shot at the Opening Day rotation, he pretty much has to excel today. He's thrown a grand total of 2 innings in an "A" game this spring, and hasn't thrown more than 3 innings even against minor league competition. I wonder how long Buck will let him go today. It has to be 4 IP at a minimum, right?

Odds are pretty high that he starts the year in the bullpen, but today is really his big chance to change those odds.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Tsuyoshi Wada wants to have a shot at the Opening Day rotation, he pretty much has to excel today. He's thrown a grand total of 2 innings in an "A" game this spring, and hasn't thrown more than 3 innings even against minor league competition. I wonder how long Buck will let him go today. It has to be 4 IP at a minimum, right?

Odds are pretty high that he starts the year in the bullpen, but today is really his big chance to change those odds.

I agree. If he can get stretched out to 4 or 5 quality innings then you could see him creep back into the rotation discussion.

He won't be in the starting rotation at the start of the season no matter what he does today. He'll start the season as a potential long man in the bullpen.

He won't be in the starting rotation at the start of the season no matter what he does today. He'll start the season as a potential long man in the bullpen.

I'd say right now the odds that he'll be in the rotation are maybe 10%. A good outing of 4+ innings today moves his odds up to 25%. Then he'd need a pretty bad outing from Matusz and another good outing for himself, 5+ innings, to make it a 50/50 proposition. So, I wouldn't say it is impossible, just not that likely.

Well I would prefer Mtusz in the rotation and Wada in the pen, if that's the choice. But if Wada is lights out the next two turns, and Matusz has poor TTP, then he could be in Norfolk.

Gee, you're not overblowing the TTP issue just a little bit, are you? :rolleyes: I think that Wada has become a long-shot for the rotation. IMO, Arrieta, Chen, Hunter and Hammel are in and Matusz has the best shot at the final spot, while Wada, Eveland and Tillman have smaller shots remaining. I don't think that anything like TTP will be a deciding factor.

Honestly, I like the idea of Wada in the bullpen. He seems like he can throw strikes and miss bats and that could become very valuable if he can pitch fairly often while keeping his stuff.

Agreed. I'd like to see Matusz win the last spot in the rotation and Wada go to the pen. If Wada is the long lefty, does that leave a spot for Patton or do they really start pushing him in trade talks? Phillips and Eveland are also candidates for the pen and there's no way four lefties make it.

I don't think 3 lefties make it. They can use Wada and Eveland to matchup 1 or 2 batters late in a game and still have one or the other as a long man the next day or two.

I think you're right. And, I don't see room for Patton if Wada and Eveland make the team. That would mean the last man standing from the Miggy to Houston trade would be gone (although if we can swing a trade, we'd have whoever returns).

Was AM a good trader after all? Probably nothing remaining from that trade. Only Jones has made a major league impact from the Bedard trade. Those were the two biggest trades during his tenure and don't seem quite as good now as they did at the time. Now the Koji for Hunter and Davis and the JJ Hardy trades look pretty awesome, I must say. Flat Breezy for Bell and Steve Johnson, not so hot. More of a mixed bag than I might have thought earlier on.

I think you're right. And, I don't see room for Patton if Wada and Eveland make the team. That would mean the last man standing from the Miggy to Houston trade would be gone (although if we can swing a trade, we'd have whoever returns).

Was AM a good trader after all? Probably nothing remaining from that trade. Only Jones has made a major league impact from the Bedard trade. Those were the two biggest trades during his tenure and don't seem quite as good now as they did at the time. Now the Koji for Hunter and Davis and the JJ Hardy trades look pretty awesome, I must say. Flat Breezy for Bell and Steve Johnson, not so hot. More of a mixed bag than I might have thought earlier on.

I still like the Miggy trade. Scott gave us three good years before he got hurt, and was worth more by himself while he was here than the two years of Miggy we gave up. Albers, Sarfate and Patton all made a contribution of some kind. We rolled the dice on Patton a bit and his injury really hampered him, but I still feel he will be a serviceable reliever for a major league team. He's gotten caught in a numbers game here this spring, after an excellent showing last season.

Gee, you're not overblowing the TTP issue just a little bit, are you? :rolleyes: I think that Wada has become a long-shot for the rotation. IMO, Arrieta, Chen, Hunter and Hammel are in and Matusz has the best shot at the final spot, while Wada, Eveland and Tillman have smaller shots remaining. I don't think that anything like TTP will be a deciding factor.

I think the whole TTP thing is a joke, apparently one you didn't get.:rolleyestf:

Agreed. I'd like to see Matusz win the last spot in the rotation and Wada go to the pen. If Wada is the long lefty, does that leave a spot for Patton or do they really start pushing him in trade talks? Phillips and Eveland are also candidates for the pen and there's no way four lefties make it.

Honestly, I think Phillips is a little better than Patton so I think Patton is going to be traded or designated for assignment. I think both Wada and Eveland can make the pen, but Phillips will be the odd man out.

Archived