Jason Hammel Today

OFFNY

Any chance that we can put a 10th fielder out there during the game so we can have the person who is "working with him" play the position while Betemit watches and goes after any balls that he (preferably Steve Tolleson) misses ???

Would only have worked if they were allowed to put him in the stands tonight.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hammel deserved better tonight.

His "defense" let him down badly.

Kind of. But I'm not willing to pull the "Deserved better" card when he was ridiculous inefficient with his pitches. Maybe his knee is still bugging him, and he just doesn't trust his stuff yet. But with his ground ball abilities, there's no reason to go after 7 k's and be out of the game after the 5th inning. The defense added 10-15, so may be he pitches an extra 2/3rds of an inning or so, but I don't know. There were far too many full counts tonight.

Kind of. But I'm not willing to pull the "Deserved better" card when he was ridiculous inefficient with his pitches. Maybe his knee is still bugging him, and he just doesn't trust his stuff yet. But with his ground ball abilities, there's no reason to go after 7 k's and be out of the game after the 5th inning. The defense added 10-15, so may be he pitches an extra 2/3rds of an inning or so, but I don't know. There were far too many full counts tonight.

Oh, he definitely deserved another inning.

He had pretty consistent fastball command tonight.

Oh, he definitely deserved another inning.

He had pretty consistent fastball command tonight.

It wasn't necessarily his command that I take issue with, so much as his approach. And again, maybe he's just nibbling a bit too much because of the knee, but he wasn't efficient, and that cost us too.

It wasn't necessarily his command that I take issue with, so much as his approach. And again, maybe he's just nibbling a bit too much because of the knee, but he wasn't efficient, and that cost us too.

Truthfully, I haven't sat here and watched every pitch, but his velocity & command both looked pretty good to me tonight. 30 pitches in the 5th inning is what killed him.

End of the day, you're asking a lot of your starting pitcher to go to Fenway and beat Lester with more than half your lineup full of AAAA players.

Truthfully, I haven't sat here and watched every pitch, but his velocity & command both looked pretty good to me tonight. 30 pitches in the 5th inning is what killed him.

End of the day, you're asking a lot of your starting pitcher to go to Fenway and beat Lester with more than half your lineup full of AAAA players.

Yeah, his stuff was good, there's no doubt. It's his approach lately. It looks like to me that he just isn't too confident in his stuff, even though it looks great. He was still averaging about 20 pitches an inning. So the 30 spot wasn't good, but it was really only about 10 or so more than it would have been. I don't disagree - he definitely didn't deserve the line up or the Reynolds/Tolleson goof's, but he could have been better too.

JASON HAMMEL O(vs. PHILLIES June 10th)

IP:. 6

H:o 6

R:O 4

BB: 5

SO: 4

Pitches: 115 (68 Strikes, 47 Balls)

2012 ERA: 3.22

Did alright considering his control was about as off as we've seen it.

Jake Arrieta, hope you're taking notes. There's value in not imploding.

Archived