IP:. 5.33

H:o 6

R:O 4

BB: 2

SO: 5

Pitches: 94 (53 Strikes, 41 Balls) *

2012 ERA: 3.12

JASON BY INNINGS

13 * Hammel recorded 1 out in the 6th inning before departing.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looked great through 4 but then he just started to lose it. Not getting through the 6th was unimpressive.

That made us use all those bullpen guys, under the circumstances it was poor tonight. 6-0 lead and can't go 6 innings.

I still strongly believe that Buck should have left Hammel in to battle through the 6th. If he had come out of the inning allowing only one of those two runs, and then pitched another frame, how would we feel about 7 innings and 3 runs? Honestly I think that was realistic, and we are being overly cautious with our starting pitchers. I wish Buck had the confidence in them to let them battle through a few struggles.

If it were possible to pull up the stats, I would be interested to see how many other teams pull their starters after giving up their first two runs in the 6th inning...probably not too many.

I still strongly believe that Buck should have left Hammel in to battle through the 6th. If he had come out of the inning allowing only one of those two runs, and then pitched another frame, how would we feel about 7 innings and 3 runs? Honestly I think that was realistic, and we are being overly cautious with our starting pitchers. I wish Buck had the confidence in them to let them battle through a few struggles.

If it were possible to pull up the stats, I would be interested to see how many other teams pull their starters after giving up their first two runs in the 6th inning...probably not too many.

He was done. Out of gas. LJ hit on it above as Buck mentioned his conditioning and how it's affected him postgame. Just hit the wall very fast tonight. Hopefully can get some of that conditioning back and stretch himself out over the next few starts. The stuff is still there which is a good sign.

He was clearly out of gas. Didn't even look like he put up a fight when Buck game to get the ball.

Disappointing against such a weak hitting National League lineup, but maybe the combination of coming back from the injury and having to bat for the first time this year was just a little too much for him to overcome.

Loved what I saw early, let's hope he will get his strength back as he gets healthier and can get back to the pitcher we saw towards the beginning of the season.

Today is a big day for Hammel. How sore in that knee? Will it keep him from doing his between start work? Is he on the way to the DL?

I expect to see Ppmeranz recalled in the next 5 days. Whether that is with Hammel to the DL or whether it is Hall being DFA'd, Hammel's shorter outing may cause the O's to go to 13 pitchers for a while.

Eveland will make the start(s) if Hammel goes down and Britton is not ready yet.

Today is a big day for Hammel. How sore in that knee? Will it keep him from doing his between start work? Is he on the way to the DL?

I expect to see Ppmeranz recalled in the next 5 days. Whether that is with Hammel to the DL or whether it is Hall being DFA'd, Hammel's shorter outing may cause the O's to go to 13 pitchers for a while.

Eveland will make the start(s) if Hammel goes down and Britton is not ready yet.

He said it was doing better then after his last start.

I do think it'd be a good idea to go to 13 pitchers for a bit due to all of these extra inning games.

As of today, several relievers are on pace to throw a lot of innings:

Jim Johnson (19.2 so far, on pace for 75.2, career high is 91)

Pedro Strop (23.2 so far, on pace for 91.2, career high is 71)

Darren O'Day (19.2 so far, on pace for 77.2, career high is 62)

Luis Ayala (22 so far, on pace for 87, career high is 90.1)

Troy Patton (18.2 so far, on pace for 71.2)

I couldn't find anything on how many innings is too many for relievers, but it seems that most relievers stay somewhere between 65-70 innings.

I do think it'd be a good idea to go to 13 pitchers for a bit due to all of these extra inning games.

As of today, several relievers are on pace to throw a lot of innings:

Jim Johnson (19.2 so far, on pace for 75.2, career high is 91)

Pedro Strop (23.2 so far, on pace for 91.2, career high is 71)

Darren O'Day (19.2 so far, on pace for 77.2, career high is 62)

Luis Ayala (22 so far, on pace for 87, career high is 90.1)

Troy Patton (18.2 so far, on pace for 71.2)

I couldn't find anything on how many innings is too many for relievers, but it seems that most relievers stay somewhere between 65-70 innings.

Great info there. Pretty clear Strop is going to need some rest here soon. Hopefully Lindstrom will be back in a few weeks to take some pressure off. And maybe some help from Gregg (gasp!) and Pomeranz. I think a few scheduled off days in the next few weeks won't hurt either. Let these guys catch their breath.

Archived