JASON HAMMEL TODAY:

IP: 8

H: 2

R: 1

BB: 3

SO: 5

Pitches: 97 (60 Strikes, 37 Balls)

2012 ERA: 1.13

* Last night was the first time since we moved to Baltimore from St. Louis in 1954 that we started the season with our first 2 starting pitchers throwing 7 or more shutout innings. We just broke our own record les than 24 hours later.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't at the game, and only saw the highlights on ESPN, but Markakis looks dialed in (granted they only showed the highlights) at the plate. This is wonderful to see. Want to see how we play against better competition. Not getting my hopes up. My roommate says after the bottom of the 7th, "Hey man did you know one of your boys has a no hitter through 7?". I groaned :mad:

A. Hammel gutting it out and finishing the 8th inning in spite of starting the inning by giving up back-to-back doubles and losing both the no-hitter and the shutout.

B. The standing ovation that the crowd gave Hammel after he had his no-no broken up.

C. Wilson Betemit's 2-RBI double which gave Hammel and the Orioles some breathing room.

D. The fact that Kevin Gregg warmed up, scared the daylights out of everybody in the game thread, but didn't actually pitch.

My highlight of the series was not seeing Gregg on the mound.

Three wins were pretty decent as well.

Yep. I was worried when he was warming up with Hammel struggling in the 8th. Luckily, I think Buck felt the same way that we all did. Hammel at 50% >>>> Gregg at 100%.

The Twins did not hit one ball hard the whole game until the 8th. I mean Ryan Doumit hit a sharp ground ball to Andino but I mean it was one routine or weakly hit grounder after another. AND I don't think Hammel had his best curve today. He threw a few good breaking pitches but his fastball had a lot of movement on hit and he commaded it very well. Good defense, not great because there were no great plays to be made. Betemit with the key double going with the outside pitch to right center. Hammel looked cooked at the end when he started missing a lot with some pitches but NO ONE wanted to see Gregg in the game. I realize we have to use Gregg but what's Buck thinking here? I just want a win. I'll take O'Day, Lindstrom (with one day rest), Ayala (with no rest), or just about anyone else besides Gregg. He was awful last year. Bad in ST. Let's see some improvement before we give him a chance to cost us a game.

Couldn't agree more. I thought Showalter danced with the devil there in the 8th inning as Hammel was obviously on fumes. I don't understand why he would have Gregg warming when he should have had O'day and Patton warming in the 8th. Patton failed the other day but if he can't lefties out in this kind of situation, he needs to go. Maybe Showalter wants to instill into his pitchers that they can't look for help until 100 pitches. Either way, I would have had Patton and O'day warming and would have put in Patton once the Twins went to the bench for the lefty.

Highlight of the game, for me, was Hammel gutting out the 8th inning.....and not only because it kept Gregg off the mound.

I thought that was Gregg warming up. I was behind home plate today so couldnt see. Thankfully Hammel was able to make it through that inning. Not enough beer at Camden to go though Gregg pitching with runners on. Wasnt going to tomorrows game but after checking out that new bar deck Im gonna pick up some standing room tickets.

I thought that was Gregg warming up. I was behind home plate today. so I couldnt see. Thankfully, Hammel was able to make it through that inning. Not enough beer at Camden to go though Gregg pitching with runners on. Wasn't going to tomorrow's game, but after checking out that new bar deck, I'm gonna pick up some standing room tickets.

Ironically, the fact that you were at the game and in such a great seat (behind home plate) actually spared you some of the anxiety that the rest of us had that were watching on our TV's and our computers. We knew immediately that it was Gregg, thanks to the cameras and the announcers. You could kind of kid yourself into thinking that maybe it wasn't really him warming up. :laughlol:

Archived