Jason Hammel Today

OFFNY

If he is a 3, then everyone else on the staff is a 6 except chen who is a 5.

Tonight was the first time since 4/25 that he had gone above 6 2/3 innings, mostly sitting at 5 and 6 innings the last two months. He was very pitch efficient tonight, just what we needed to see out of him. I will be glad to be proven wrong. Looking great thus far.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trivia question of the night (answer soon to be on game recaps, so be fast). Who was the last Oriole starter to throw a one-hitter (or better)?

Daniel Cabrera against the Yankees?

I think there Orioles made 2 Errors in that game?

Tonight was the first time since 4/25 that he had gone above 6 2/3 innings, mostly sitting at 5 and 6 innings the last two months. He was very pitch efficient tonight, just what we needed to see out of him. I will be glad to be proven wrong. Looking great thus far.

With a pen with microscopic ERAs why would you want to stretch him?

BEFORE tonights start he had 77.2 IP over 12 starts (6.43 IP/start) 8.55k/9 3.22 ERA 1.27WHIP. Maybe not Ace numbers but certainly better than #3. His batted ball data was also absurd in terms of getting weaker contact.

I'm biased....been on his bandwagon since April....I took the #3 comment personally. Sorry =(

With a pen with microscopic ERAs why would you want to stretch him?

BEFORE tonights start he had 77.2 IP over 12 starts (6.43 IP/start) 8.55k/9 3.22 ERA 1.27WHIP. Maybe not Ace numbers but certainly better than #3. His batted ball data was also absurd in terms of getting weaker contact.

So you don't tire the pen out halfway through the season. We need more SP going 7-9 IP.

When was the last time we needed the pen in the 2nd half of the season? Get there then sort it out in my opinion.

You always keep the bullpen out as long as you can. A rested bullpen is a better bullpen.

When was the last time we needed the pen in the 2nd half of the season? Get there then sort it out in my opinion.

When you wear out the pens they will start blowing games. When that happens we wont be competing any longer. Preserving the pen from collapse is the responsibility of the manger, coaches, & the starters. Longer starts are a Win/Win so long as the pitcher doesnt need to go drastically over a set pitch count.

When you wear out the pens they will start blowing games. When that happens we wont be competing any longer. Preserving the pen from collapse is the responsibility of the manger, coaches, & the starters. Longer starts are a Win/Win so long as the pitcher doesnt need to go drastically over a set pitch count.

All of that is non-debatable. All I was trying to say is Hammel has been by the best thing I've seen as far as starting talent/consistency goes in quite a while. Calling him a #3 made me sad/angry/feel hopeless for this season when it is almost July and the Os are still in the hunt....

If we're 20 games out in August, it won't be because the pen didn't get enough use. I guarantee you that.

Again you've gotten me away from what I was really getting at. Which was....

"All of that is non-debatable. All I was trying to say is Hammel has been by the best thing I've seen as far as starting talent/consistency goes in quite a while. Calling him a #3 made me sad/angry/feel hopeless for this season when it is almost July and the Os are still in the hunt...."

Are you not hopeful that the O's could be/WILL be relevant late into July and possibly August for the first time in a long time? Does calling the most consistent starter a "good #3" not depress you?

I was at Mussina's 1 hitter in OPAC against the Indians. I don't know if it was the last one, but it was an unbelievable game. Sandy Alomar broke it up late IIRC.

There was also the near-perfect game Mussina lost in the ninth at Fenway, but I believe that was with the Yankees. Just a hard-luck pitcher. And, from the reports we hear about his attitude, perhaps deserved.

Archived