Jason Hammel Today

OFFNY

Great info there. Pretty clear Strop is going to need some rest here soon. Hopefully Lindstrom will be back in a few weeks to take some pressure off. And maybe some help from Gregg (gasp!) and Pomeranz. I think a few scheduled off days in the next few weeks won't hurt either. Let these guys catch their breath.

Yeah, I think Buck can maneuver around this a bit to get these guys back down to a better pace with the things you described. Particularly Pomeranz and Gregg.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He was clearly out of gas. Didn't even look like he put up a fight when Buck game to get the ball.

Disappointing against such a weak hitting National League lineup' date=' but maybe the combination of coming back from the injury and having to bat for the first time this year was just a little too much for him to overcome.

Loved what I saw early, let's hope he will get his strength back as he gets healthier and can get back to the pitcher we saw towards the beginning of the season.[/quote']

Per Roch, Buck says, "Hammel was making his second start since being pushed back because of swelling in his right knee. He was good for a while, but it's clear that he's not all the way back.

No more than what he's been dealing with his last start," Showalter said. "Something we're aware of and we're going to be careful with. He pitched real well for a while there. It just kind of got away from him a little bit. One of the problems he has is it's a little bit of a challenge with his conditioning just because he's trying to stay off of (the knee) as much as possible. But I think that's where you kind of keep an eye on how far he's going to be able to go before he may lose a little endurance.

"He was getting the ball up and Washington was starting to put some good swings on him, but if I know Jason, he's not going to use that as an excuse."

Yeah, I think Buck can maneuver around this a bit to get these guys back down to a better pace with the things you described. Particularly Pomeranz and Gregg.

I'll be honest, looking at the breakdown above, I'm a little less worried about our bullpen. I had seen the stat showing that we're leading the league in bullpen usage, but that doesn't take into account the room-to-spare/luxury of having so many good bullpen options. Save for Strop (and I'm not even sure Strop is an issue, given his easy, easy velocity), these guys are all w/in their ranges. Buck's done a great job of sharing the burden.

I'll be honest, looking at the breakdown above, I'm a little less worried about our bullpen. I had seen the stat showing that we're leading the league in bullpen usage, but that doesn't take into account the room-to-spare/luxury of having so many good bullpen options. Save for Strop (and I'm not even sure Strop is an issue, given his easy, easy velocity), these guys are all w/in their ranges. Buck's done a great job of sharing the burden.

I guess they are within their max's, except for Strop, but looking at other relievers, it still appears that they're on pace to exceed their norms/league norms for relievers. Maybe it's not a big deal, but it is still something that worries me. As you said, there is no doubt that having so many solid options has helped. Lindstrom's return should only help matters.

I guess they are within their max's, except for Strop, but looking at other relievers, it still appears that they're on pace to exceed their norms/league norms for relievers. Maybe it's not a big deal, but it is still something that worries me. As you said, there is no doubt that having so many solid options has helped. Lindstrom's return should only help matters.

I agree. I also would like to find a way to get Stu up and in the pen.

I think a lot of that is due to the extra inning games we've played. We're middle of the pack in Innings from SP (6.0 per game). Hopefully, we'll stop playing all those lengthened games.

I think a lot of that is due to the extra inning games we've played. We're middle of the pack in Innings from SP (6.0 per game). Hopefully, we'll stop playing all those lengthened games.

Yep. And in part, this is because - though our starters don't all go deep, they also haven't been leaving after very short (1-3 inning) starts, either. I think Chen is likely to be a Cueto-like guy in terms of IP (a solid 6-7), and Hammel might not be much better (pitch counts) but Arrieta should be able to get deeper. And if we're getting a solid 6-7 from all of our guys, that's pretty good. (Here's to the return of Britton.)

Yep. And in part, this is because - though our starters don't all go deep, they also haven't been leaving after very short (1-3 inning) starts, either. I think Chen is likely to be a Cueto-like guy in terms of IP (a solid 6-7), and Hammel might not be much better (pitch counts) but Arrieta should be able to get deeper. And if we're getting a solid 6-7 from all of our guys, that's pretty good. (Here's to the return of Britton.)

It would be really nice if our SP staff had a guy that could give us 8-9 IP if we needed it (ala Guthrie). Hunter can be that guy, if he can avoid getting lit up.

It will be great to get Britton back, but he's not much different from the other guys in terms of giving us a lot of innings consistently.

I'd say it's primarily due to all of the EI games we've played, and fortunately that hasn't been in vain. We've won a lot of games due to how effective they've been. That doesn't change the fact that if the current pace keeps up, it's reason for concern. That said, I wouldn't anticipate we'll continue to play this many extra inning games.

It would be really nice if our SP staff had a guy that could give us 8-9 IP if we needed it (ala Guthrie). Hunter can be that guy, if he can avoid getting lit up.

It will be great to get Britton back, but he's not much different from the other guys in terms of giving us a lot of innings consistently.

I'm not sure why people think Hunter can be that guy - just because I don't see now (and never have seen) any evidence that Hunter has the stuff to be a MLB starter.

Replacing Hunter with Britton may not add much in innings (I noted only the desire for a "solid 6-7" in welcoming his return) but he could theoretically help by simply pitching better, reducing the leveraged opportunities and letting us use more of Gregg (etc.). As I said, I don't think we really need a big "innings eater" if each of our guys is averaging a solid 6+.

Guthrie went 8IP 3x last year, but not after May 31. And never went 9 (though he had two 8 inning CGs). He did it 5x in 2010. He was nice to have around, but I really think we're underestimating the value of not having as many starts under 4IP.

I'm not sure why people think Hunter can be that guy - just because I don't see now (and never have seen) any evidence that Hunter has the stuff to be a MLB starter.

Replacing Hunter with Britton may not add much in innings (I noted only the desire for a "solid 6-7" in welcoming his return) but he could theoretically help by simply pitching better, reducing the leveraged opportunities and letting us use more of Gregg (etc.). As I said, I don't think we really need a big "innings eater" if each of our guys is averaging a solid 6+.

Guthrie went 8IP 3x last year, but not after May 31. And never went 9 (though he had two 8 inning CGs). He did it 5x in 2010. He was nice to have around, but I really think we're underestimating the value of not having as many starts under 4IP.

Hunter has made 18 starts for us. He's gone at least 6 IP 14 times. Only 3 of those 14 were exactly 6.

He's not a TOR, or MOR, SP. He's a solid #5, who can give your bullpen rest.

Hunter has made 18 starts for us. He's gone at least 6 IP 14 times. Only 3 of those 14 were exactly 6.

I'm not sure of your point - sorry. Is there anything there that contradicts what I've written? I didn't say he couldn't pitch 6+ innings. I just don't want him to. He generally goes a sub-average 6+ innings. How does that help?

I'm not sure of your point - sorry. Is there anything there that contradicts what I've written? I didn't say he couldn't pitch 6+ innings. I just don't want him to. He generally goes a sub-average 6+ innings. How does that help?

Yeah, I think he can be a servicable #5 SP. I take from your post that you don't think that. An 85 ERA+ is a decent number for a #5, especially a guy who can consistently give you innings. That said, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to put him in the pen when Britton gets back.

Yeah, I think he can be a servicable #5 SP. I take from your post that you don't think that. An 85 ERA+ is a decent number for a #5, especially a guy who can consistently give you innings. That said, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to put him in the pen when Britton gets back.

I think without a sure-fire No. 1/2 that we need our back end to be stronger. I like Hunter a lot as a long-man/swing-starter, though.

Archived