Ongoing Lineup Thread, 2012

OFFNY

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well yeah, that was the point. Davis' defense at first has been horrible, and Reynolds was at least decent when he played there last year for 44 games.

Reynolds and Nick Johnson have both been bad on offense this year. Davis has been bad on defense, and he has also been bad on offense in the last week, as Tony pointed out. Why should Buck necessarily be adamant about not sitting any of these 3 players ???

My suggestion would be to sort of hide Reynolds' bad defense (3rd base) at 1st base where he is not as atrocious, have Endy Chavez be a defensive upgrade from Reimold in left field, still keep Reimold's bat in the lineup at DH, while having 2 of our 3 weakest offensive players (Davis, Reynolds, Johnson) not clog up the lineup.

Davis thus far has been one ofvthe best offensive players on the team. You should also check out his numbers against tonights starter Henderson Alvarez. There is no reason to routinely sit him.

As for Reynolds, we know he can hit, that is a given. Even if you think he should be traded, you cant sit him in half your games and sink his value.

Davis thus far has been one ofvthe best offensive players on the team. You should also check out his numbers against tonights starter Henderson Alvarez. There is no reason to routinely sit him.

As for Reynolds, we know he can hit, that is a given. Even if you think he should be traded, you cant sit him in half your games and sink his value.

I wasn't necessarily referring to permanently sitting him, I meant for at least a game or 2. And, considering how bad Reynolds, Johnson, and Davis (in the last week) have all been on offense, and how atrocious Davis has been on defense at first base, I don't think that taking any of them out of the lineup should be considered questionable at all.

I wasn't necessarily referring to permanently sitting him, I meant for at least a game or 2. And, considering how bad Reynolds, Johnson, and Davis (in the last week) have all been on offense, and how atrocious Davis has been on defense at first base, I don't think that taking any of them out of the lineup should be considered questionable at all.

Well that is just my point, Davis mashes Alvarez, albeit SSS. Doesn't make sense to sit him against a pitcher and a team he hits well against.

Furthermore, as Frobby pointed out, Hardy is in an equally bad slump. This downturn in hitting might be a partial result of facing Peavy, Weaver and Haren in the past week.

Well that is just my point, Davis mashes Alvarez, albeit SSS. Doesn't make sense to sit him against a pitcher and a team he hits well against.

Furthermore, as Frobby pointed out, Hardy is in an equally bad slump. This downturn in hitting might be a partial result of facing Peavy, Weaver and Haren in the past week.

Hardy is an offensive slump, but Davis is doing bad on both offense and defense. Davis, Johnson, and Reynolds have been the real overall wink-link position players so far this season, IMRAOAO.

Sabermetric philosophy: bat your best on base percentage guys at 1-2.

Buck philosophy: bat Endy Chavez (career .312 OBP), JJ Hardy (.319) at 1-2.

I know it's not a huge advantage in the scheme of things, but this team needs every edge it can get.

Hardy is an offensive slump, but Davis is doing bad on both offense and defense. Davis, Johnson, and Reynolds have been the real overall wink-link position players so far this season, IMRAOAO.
Ok, we get it. It's your opinion, but I can remember at least three plays that Davis has made that saved errors by Reynolds. The most recent coming on a very routine play where Reynolds throw went high and pulled him off the bag, Davis gathered himself nicely and came down with his toe on the corner of first base to just get Pujols. He's had others.

I know he's also dropped a ball and could have probably made a scoop or two, but I think ' horrible' and 'atrocious' are exaggerations. In any case, as was pointed out to me last year, be careful what you wish for if you are one of the people who thinks Reynolds will be better there than third. It might be a slight improvement only because he's throwing the ball less, but unless Davis completely falls apart it isn't warranted.

Ok, we get it. It's your opinion, but I can remember at least three plays that Davis has made that saved errors by Reynolds. The most recent coming on a very routine play where Reynolds throw went high and pulled him off the bag, Davis gathered himself nicely and came down with his toe on the corner of first base to just get Pujols. He's had others.

I know he's also dropped a ball and could have probably made a scoop or two, but I think ' horrible' and 'atrocious' are exaggerations. In any case, as was pointed out to me last year, be careful what you wish for if you are one of the people who thinks Reynolds will be better there than third. It might be a slight improvement only because he's throwing the ball less, but unless Davis completely falls apart it isn't warranted.

He has dropped 2 balls right in his hands, not one. Thrown right to him, literally. I don't think that "horrible" is an inaccurate description of Davis' defense so far this season.

My latest crack at it considering they won't bat Nick lead off, Reimold is healthy and and Reynolds is a possible PH or platoon candidate with Davis.

Andino 2b

Markakis rf

Reimold dh

Wieters c

Jones cf

Hardy ss

Davis/Reynolds 1b

Flaherty/Betemit 3b

Chavez lf

Obviously, you have some moving parts there at the bottom of the order which have to work themselves out, but the biggest thing to me is getting Chavez and Hardy away from the top of the order and hopefully making our defense stronger.

He has dropped 2 balls right in his hands, not one. Thrown right to him, literally. I don't think that "horrible" is an inaccurate description of Davis' defense so far this season.
I remember the other one and IMO, I felt like he tried to yank his glove out of the way out an oncoming runner. Still needs to make the play, but a little different than just dropping it. I'm not discounting the bad plays, though, you don't give him any credit at all for the good plays he's made. If you want a more accurate description of horrible defense it might be the guy who no longer plays third regularly.

I remember the other one and IMO, I felt like he tried to yank his glove out of the way out an oncoming runner. Still needs to make the play, but a little didn't than just dropping it. I'm not discounting the bad plays, though, you don't give him any credit at all for the good plays he's made. If you want a more accurate description of horrible defense it might be the guy rubio no longer plays third regularly.

You're probably right. "Horrible" is probably an exaggeration of Davis' defense so far. Perhaps my judgement is somewhat clouded by the fact that almost everyone on the team has been contributing to randomly winging the ball around the field like the Keystone Kops. :(

Archived