Buck stacked the deck against Matusz today

SteveA

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He can't pitch, he is yet another hyped up player. He's bad, not just bad but terribad.

No ones fault is his own.

I know this is the same site that said Bergusen should stay on the roster... Sometimes you guys have to recognize bad players.

I don't agree. He was hyped for a reason and the stuff and especially the command I saw in the minors backed up the hype. For some reason, the stuff and the command has backed up. The one thing that has been a constant though is his inability to go deep into a game. He came into camp by all accounts in great shape, but he still seems to struggle to hold his stuff and command past the 5th/6th inning. He allowed way too many base runners so far this year and the command is not where it needs to be. He's making the decision once Wada returns pretty easy right now. He needs to go back down to AAA and work on his changeup and command of all his pitches. At some point the Orioles may have to consider a move to the pen if he can't show better command and the ability to go longer into games.

I don't agree. He was hyped for a reason and the stuff and especially the command I saw in the minors backed up the hype. For some reason, the stuff and the command has backed up. The one thing that has been a constant though is his inability to go deep into a game. He came into camp by all accounts in great shape, but he still seems to struggle to hold his stuff and command past the 5th/6th inning. He allowed way too many base runners so far this year and the command is not where it needs to be. He's making the decision once Wada returns pretty easy right now. He needs to go back down to AAA and work on his changeup and command of all his pitches. At some point the Orioles may have to consider a move to the pen if he can't show better command and the ability to go longer into games.

Did it not look to you like he was overthrowing the fastball? It sure seemed to me that when he pressed, the fastball was high and flat. When he eased up a bit, he had better command and a little more zip.

It's ridiculous to want the gg catcher catching arguably the most important player on the team in an early but important start?
Yeah, it's another lame excuse among many other lame excuses. Matusz is the one that has to execute his pitches. He pitched well enough to earn another start imo. Aside from Betemit's error (which didn't cost anything) the defense played well behind him.

Why is Matusz arguably the most important player on the team? Look, I still have hopes for the guy, but let's not overstate his importance or treat him as though he is different from the other starting pitchers. Wieters is going to get some days off, and the timing of that should be more about Wieters than it is about who happens to be pitching. I only followed the game on GameDay and then the radio, but I don't think Matusz's troubles related to who was catching. His command simply wasn't that sharp. No excuses, just do better next time or your ticket will be punched for Norfolk when Wada is ready.

Did it not look to you like he was overthrowing the fastball? It sure seemed to me that when he pressed, the fastball was high and flat. When he eased up a bit, he had better command and a little more zip.

There is no doubt that this was the case. Less often this game than the start against the Yankees. But he still doesn't seem relaxed out there and just doing what got him to the Pros.

Gregg is the "Bullpen Terrorist", when he comes in everything blows up!

You can say what you want but the Birds gave away this game today and they can't afford to do that! They need to win every game they can especially those within the division. You don't give guys a rest when they're stinging the ball but when they're in a slump. What a way to run a ball club!

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

Poor Gregg he would have been much better if he had Paulino catching him too. Gregg is the most important player on our roster he should have the best catcher.

See how stupid that sounds. Anyway Matusz is a left handed pitcher. They always get overrated. he doesn't have over powering stuff. In 2010 when he was successful he was only pitching at 88 to 90 mph. He needs to mix up his pitches and have great command. To me he isn't a number 4 pick overall worthy selection. He doesn't have Bundy stuff that is for sure.

Why is Matusz arguably the most important player on the team? Look, I still have hopes for the guy, but let's not overstate his importance or treat him as though he is different from the other starting pitchers. Wieters is going to get some days off, and the timing of that should be more about Wieters than it is about who happens to be pitching. I only followed the game on GameDay and then the radio, but I don't think Matusz's troubles related to who was catching. His command simply wasn't that sharp. No excuses, just do better next time or your ticket will be punched for Norfolk when Wada is ready.

If you were choosing the player who would improve the team the most by reaching his ceiling, then Matusz would probably be the guy. So in that sense, he's very important. On the other hand, it's because he's pitched so poorly that the improvement would be massive.

Poor Gregg he would have been much better if he had Paulino catching him too. Gregg is the most important player on our roster he should have the best catcher.

See how stupid that sounds. Anyway Matusz is a left handed pitcher. They always get overrated. he doesn't have over powering stuff. In 2010 when he was successful he was only pitching at 88 to 90 mph. He needs to mix up his pitches and have great command. To me he isn't a number 4 pick overall worthy selection. He doesn't have Bundy stuff that is for sure.

Oh, God, we've found the OldFan to our Markakis!

If you were choosing the player who would improve the team the most by reaching his ceiling, then Matusz would probably be the guy. So in that sense, he's very important. On the other hand, it's because he's pitched so poorly that the improvement would be massive.
I'd say Wieters was the Guy. Also Jake.

That was already explained.

Doesn't seem to have a whole lot of self-confidence here. Brian doesn't seem to realize that the #1 problem he has right now is between the ears. He looks devastated.

Yeah. His reaction was immediately post game so he gets some time to process the experience and build on that. He's overthrowing and also not pitching inside enough, which might be more mechanical issues. I really do like Buck's responses to Hunter, however.

http://www.masnsports.com/index_medialounge.php?show_id=942543&p=

Archived