Tillman Tonight

OFFNY

Sometime during this season, assuming that he is not needed in the O's rotation, I would like to see him in the late innings.....set-up or close for the Tides. If he would excel in that role, I'd consider moving JJ into the staring rotation next year, or trade JJ if somebody would cough up a kings ransom for him.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm about there. David Hernandez him. Hernandez could throw 97 when he only had to go an inning or two.

Since hernandez was traded to Arizona, he has become a very effective reliever. That might well be Tillman's eventual fate too, and I think he could be an above average reliever.

Forget about Tillman. How about Stuart Pomeranz. He dominated in Bowie and now he's had back to back impressive outings in Norfolk. Ist time out he strikes out the side in a perfect inning. Tonight, so far, 6 strikeouts in 2.2 IP with 0 hits and 1 walk. This guy looks like he can help us and he is also a power arm. Doubtful that Tillman will be even as good as this guy in short relief.

I'd have to agree. I'd give him the same amount of rope I was going to use for Tillman and get him up here if can get AAA guys out.

Forget about Tillman. How about Stuart Pomeranz. He dominated in Bowie and now he's had back to back impressive outings in Norfolk. Ist time out he strikes out the side in a perfect inning. Tonight, so far, 6 strikeouts in 2.2 IP with 0 hits and 1 walk. This guy looks like he can help us and he is also a power arm. Doubtful that Tillman will be even as good as this guy in short relief.

To be quite blunt this is where I am with Tillman. I'm still hoping he can make some kind of contribution for the O's at some point in any role but he's pretty much completely off my radar right now.

One inning!!!! He blew away 3 batters (not top ML hitters BTW) in a one inning stint. Why do people keep acting like he had all of these great outings this spring?

That might be a good point towards the Starter/BP debate though. Don't necessarily WANT to give up on him as a SP, but if we could dump Gregg and give him a shot as a ML RP and see what he could do in short bursts, he might be a great back end BP option.

One inning!!!! He blew away 3 batters (not top ML hitters BTW) in a one inning stint. Why do people keep acting like he had all of these great outings this spring?

One of them was Ben Revere. He's not a top ML hitter? He's not a scrub by any means. Tillman did look good this spring. The point is he had an opportunity to be the next guy up and once again he's blowing it. Or maybe they need to reevaluate his role within the organization.

I'm pretty doubtful he'd be a decent reliever, either. Just has no command.

I'ver pretty much moved on from Tillman. Haven't given up on him, as you never know when something might click for a young guy, and I am very glad that the velocity has increased. But I've basically stopped paying attention to him until he shows he's worth it again.

I take more interest in Dana Eveland starts, and that should say something. :)

In official ST games (not including B games) Tillman pitched 12.1 innings, giving up 12 hits, 5 runs (4 earned) walking 3 and striking out 6. Take away his one great inning and that's 3 strikeouts and 12 hits in 11.1 innings.

Thats good. Take away Jake's start last night and he has a 5.67 ERA. You can be selective and minimize his upside, but he does have a live arm and seeing him him in a relief role may be better than tossing him aside.

We don't really know if he would succeed in short stints because he hasn't in been put in that role yet.

CHRIS TILLMAN O(MAY 5th)

IP:o 6 *

H:o. 7

R:O. 2

BB:. 1

SO:. 2

Pitches: 82 (55 Strikes, 27 Balls)

2012 ERA: 5.10

* This game was a continuation of yesterday's suspended game. The game started with the 3rd inning today, with Tillman's 6 innings pitched coming in innings 3 though 8. When Tillman entered the game, he did so with a 3-0 lead. He proceeded to pitch 5 shutout innings before giving up 2 runs in the 6th and final inning that he pitched today.

Peterson was on 105.7 last week and had some really good things to say about Tillman. He said that Tillman was working on a few mechanical things that were discovered in his biomechanics work up. Peterson said Tillman would be making an impact in Baltimore this year. Sure would be nice if Tillman could provide the depth we'll most certainly need this season.

Archived