Jeffrey Maier

weams

faninterference.jpg

This is the second the ball went into Yankee-fan's glove.

1) Look at the lines surrounding the Yankee fan. He is clearly leaning forward.

2) Avery's arm is fairly straight.

3) Unless Avery is double jointed or made of some kind of rubber his arm could not have been sufficiently behind the wall for the Yankee fan to have his glove FULLY IN FRONT of Avery's. He simply had to reach into the field of play.

LOL. Very nice diagram!

The contrarian in me says that

1) Avery is reaching back into the stands.

2) The MFY fan is leaning to his left and reaching to his left.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL. Very nice diagram!

The contrarian in me says that

1) Avery is reaching back into the stands.

2) The MFY fan is leaning to his left and reaching to his left.

AH, to combat that eventuality, look at Avery's arm, there is almost no bend to it. His back is completely against the wall and his shoulder is well below the top of the wall. If he is reaching significantly behind the wall then he must have another joint in between his shoulder and elbow. His elbow, by the way, is completely straight.

It's clearly fan interference. End of discussion. Anyone disputing this hasn't seen the film or photo and is a Yankee fan. They should have a screen up several feet above the wall. We've talked about this before. Come on FO. Take care of this problem before we return for our next home series.

I never thought I would see this happen at OP with a Yankee fan interfering again. If we had lost this game by a run it would have been brutal for Buck.

Am I the only one who is most perturbed at the Orioles fans in the area for letting it happen and then not doing anything about it afterwards? I am a tolerant person but if I was sitting behind that guy, there is no way I would be able to contain myself there.

I had no idea. Amazing...

ahem...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikIRB3lvFvw?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikIRB3lvFvw?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

ahem...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikIRB3lvFvw?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikIRB3lvFvw?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

You are clearly out of your depth on this one. ;) But I totally agree with you that the fan definitely interferred with Avery,

ahem...

So your telling me there was a second spitter?

Yeesh, you'd think that it changed the flow of the game or something. I think the important thing to take away from what happened is that this team brushed it off and put the Yankees away.

I almost like the fact that Buck didn't go out there and make a big fuss about it. It wasn't like it was a go-ahead homer or anything. We even scored a run after that home run was hit.

My reading is, by having Buck not make a big scene about it, the O's players didn't get all flared up about it and let it get in their heads. That kind of thing can be an emotional baggage that will make players play more aggressively, and aggression can lead to mistakes and hapless errors and swing-and-miss at the plate. Baseball isn't all about blind rage; you have to have finesse, precision and quick reactions as well, all things which require intense concentration on the play at hand, not some idiot fan.

On principle, I think it should've been argued, but the result of the game turned out for the better. I think if we had argued it and they ruled it a home run anyway, that would have been the worst possible situation, because you still have only a 2-run lead, and now everyone is upset because your manager went out there, screamed at the umps til he was red in the face, and all for nothing.

Tonight, we defeated not only the Yankees ball players. We also defeated their effing fans. I consider that a more satisfying win than your typical Yanks beatdown.

On a side note, it would be awesome if Wei-yin Chen were to become the "official" (figurehead only) ambassador between Taipei and Baltimore (Chen played for the Taipei team in the Olympics, and Taipei is a city so it makes sense to have an ambassador to there rather than, say, Baltimore to Taiwan). He is sure doing a lot to bring happiness and pride to Baltimore.

Am I the only one who is most perturbed at the Orioles fans in the area for letting it happen and then not doing anything about it afterwards? I am a tolerant person but if I was sitting behind that guy, there is no way I would be able to contain myself there.

In virtual reality world, I'd have been all over him/them. In real life, actions have consequences. My cool head and the desire to not serve jail time or pay hefty fines would probably override my gut instinct (which, naturally, would be to attempt to decapitate him or some other equally gruesome act).

faninterference.jpg

This is the second the ball went into Yankee-fan's glove.

1) Look at the lines surrounding the Yankee fan. He is clearly leaning forward.

2) Avery's arm is fairly straight.

3) Unless Avery is double jointed or made of some kind of rubber his arm could not have been sufficiently behind the wall for the Yankee fan to have his glove FULLY IN FRONT of Avery's. He simply had to reach into the field of play.

Good points. To me it seems like the fan's stomach is just about touching the fence, and it's pretty clear that his glove is in front of his body, so his glove must be over the fence in the field of play.

Archived