Deals will get done if...

bigbird

Don't remember who said it or what the source was, but it was that the Dodgers were down on LaRoche.

If they're so down on him, why isn't Bedard looking at fancy new homes in LA?

I've been hearing about the Dodgers' lack of confidence in LaRoche since at least the speculation about ARod possibly coming out west was at its height.

The latest report I've seen is from Steve Henson at Yahoo! Sports, dated 12/3/07:

The Rangers plan to approach the Dodgers regarding Blalock, who will make an affordable $5.95 million in 2008 with a club option in 2009 for $6.2 million. The Dodgers want to add a big bat at third base because they aren't convinced Nomar Garciaparra will return even to his 2006 form or that prospect Andy LaRoche can shake back pain and become a productive everyday player. However, they aren't convinced Blalock is the answer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_experts/post/Buzz-from-the-winter-meetings?urn=mlb,56042

This is very similar to the other reports I've seen/heard.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think LaRoche's back problems are disc-related. If that's true, and they are severe enough, that should be a cause for concern IMO.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kemp, Broxton, Hu, and Elbert. That just makes sense for everyone. Bedard is only signed for two more years, you can't expect LAD to totally sell out for him. I think that would be a very good return, and a very useful return as well.

I've been hearing about the Dodgers' lack of confidence in LaRoche since at least the speculation about ARod possibly coming out west was at its height.

The latest report I've seen is from Steve Henson at Yahoo! Sports, dated 12/3/07:

The Rangers plan to approach the Dodgers regarding Blalock, who will make an affordable $5.95 million in 2008 with a club option in 2009 for $6.2 million. The Dodgers want to add a big bat at third base because they aren't convinced Nomar Garciaparra will return even to his 2006 form or that prospect Andy LaRoche can shake back pain and become a productive everyday player. However, they aren't convinced Blalock is the answer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_experts/post/Buzz-from-the-winter-meetings?urn=mlb,56042

This is very similar to the other reports I've seen/heard.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think LaRoche's back problems are disc-related. If that's true, and they are severe enough, that should be a cause for concern IMO.

Absolutely.

Dallas McPherson, anyone ?

LaRoche has a protruding disc condition, while not as serious as a herniated disc it is still an issue. It can be treated however.

One thing I didn't realize is LaRoche was actually drafted as a SS and played in the minors at that position before the Dodgers moved him over.

Bigbird previously mentioned talk of us taking back Pierre (salary dump). I like this idea and wonder if it is still under consideration in order to get the extra stud prospect in the deal. By the same token, could/would we take back Nomar if we gave Bedard/Tejada?

Bedard/Tejada/Payton

Kemp/Kershaw/ 2 of Hu/Meloan/Elbert/Laroache and /Pierre or Nomar

Also, there must be other teams besides the Cubs interested in Roberts, thoughts on who they are and what they would give up?

Bigbird previously mentioned talk of us taking back Pierre (salary dump). I like this idea and wonder if it is still under consideration in order to get the extra stud prospect in the deal. By the same token, could/would we take back Nomar if we gave Bedard/Tejada?

Bedard/Tejada/Payton

Kemp/Kershaw/ 2 of Hu/Meloan/Elbert/Laroache and /Pierre or Nomar

Also, there must be other teams besides the Cubs interested in Roberts, thoughts on who they are and what they would give up?

Nomar has a NTC in his contract and there is no way he would waive it to come to the Orioles.

By the way, how awesome would it be if we swooped in with a large offer and grabbed Kosuke Fukudome this evening. That'd be a surprise equal to the Torii Hunter signing.

I know, I know. We never look into the Asian market.

Still, it doesn't hurt to dream.

By the way, how awesome would it be if we swooped in with a large offer and grabbed Kosuke Fukudome this evening. That'd be a surprise equal to the Torii Hunter signing.

I know, I know. We never look into the Asian market.

Still, it doesn't hurt to dream.

You have a better imagination than I do (or a richer fantasy life). When I read about the "mystery team" in the running for Fukudome, I never once thought "O's."

You have a better imagination than I do (or a richer fantasy life). When I read about the "mystery team" in the running for Fukudome, I never once thought "O's."
He doesn't make sense for us. We should be hoping the Cubs sign him so we get Pie.

Don't bet on it.....Honestly it wouldn't surprise me that if Tejada, Bedard and Mora are traded Big Pete offers Roberts a major extension 4/$48 million to hang around. He likes Robert an awful lot.

That would be one of the worst contracts this team ever handed out I think.

Both the Rangers and the Red Sox have passed on Gagne, after the Red Sox didn't offer him Arbitration.

Whats the chance we try and go after him with a one or two year deal? It's a low risk/high reward outcome because of his collapse in the second half of the season.

Kemp, Broxton, Hu and Pierre for Bedard and Peyton. Pierre will give us speed to allow us to trade Roberts later.

I still Like Figgins in a Tejada deal with the Angels. Figgins can play 3B, SS, LF and CF. Since we aren't bringing back Patterson we will need a second speed guy. Mora looks to be going to the Phillies and Figgins can fill in at 3B with Huff unless he is traded. I would do Saunders, Figgins and Wood for Tejada and Redman.

We won't need Pie from the Cubs if we get Pierre who is an established player with consistent numbers for CF. I want Hill, Marmol and Marshall from the Cubs in the Roberts deal. All pitching. They will give us what we want eventually because Roberts is an excellent leadoff player.

I think we will sign Iguchi for 2B. Everyone wants to get some deals done before Christmas. It starts with the Bedard deal, then the Tejada deal and then Roberts. The smaller deals involving Ramon Hernandez, Cabrera and possibly Huff will come later.

Do we dump Gibbons or can we get a AA player for him from another team?

Agreed, maybe the Diamondbacks or the M's or the Reds.

I agree. Colletti has been consistently adament about the fact that he will not trade three, let alone four, players for a number one. I think he's being equally hard headed as MacPhail.

I listened to Bavasi on XM yesterday and he seems willing to trade top talent for Bedard. He will not however, trade Morrow. All of the others mentioned here, I think ,are on the table. Jones, Ballentine, etc..

The M's are willing to deal we just have to tell LAD to got off the pot.

Archived