Matt Wieters needs to be benched for a few days

bmoreosfan

Wieters has been struggling since his collision with Rodriguez where he was clearly a little banged up. We saw with Markakis last year that Buck is willing to let guys play through injuries even when it's hurting the team. If it comes out he has been hurt I'm going to be mad.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wieters has been struggling since his collision with Rodriguez where he was clearly a little banged up. We saw with Markakis last year that Buck is willing to let guys play through injuries even when it's hurting the team. If it comes out he has been hurt I'm going to be mad.

At Wieters right?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Why is it so hard to grasp that the defensive contribution of an elite catcher is as at least as valuable as his bat? Just because he isn't hitting, doesn't mean he isn't of enormous value to the pitching.

Its very easy to grasp. Why is it so hard to grasp that the offensive contribution of an elite defensive catcher is poor enough to warrant that he doesn't get to hit in the middle of the order where he's counted on to you know, contribute offensively, when he hasn't had a clue at the plate in a month. Move him to 7 or 8th spot, don't keep him in the middle of the order, he's hurting this team with his bat.

Its very easy to grasp. Why is it so hard to grasp that the offensive contribution of an elite defensive catcher is poor enough to warrant that he doesn't get to hit in the middle of the order where he's counted on to you know, contribute offensively, when he hasn't had a clue at the plate in a month. Move him to 7 or 8th spot, don't keep him in the middle of the order, he's hurting this team with his bat.

Not sure 1 person has argued against potentially moving him down in the order. The thread topic along with a few other posts have clearly suggested removing him completely from the lineup.

Not sure 1 person has argued against potentially moving him down in the order. The thread topic along with a few other posts have clearly suggested removing him completely from the lineup.

Well yeah, that's silly.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Why is it so hard to grasp that the defensive contribution of an elite catcher is as at least as valuable as his bat? Just because he isn't hitting, doesn't mean he isn't of enormous value to the pitching.

I know Wieters helps with his defense. I also hear alot that Wieters has to catch this pitcher or that. Jake Fox called a bad game,etc. The O's had the worst ERA in 2011 and were 27th in 2010. The starters are now ranked 22nd in ERA this year. A catcher can only do so much with a bad pitching staff. Do you think the ERA would be worse if Wieters was not catching?

I know Wieters helps with his defense. I also hear alot that Wieters has to catch this pitcher or that. Jake Fox called a bad game,etc. The O's had the worst ERA in 2011 and were 27th in 2010. The starters are now ranked 22nd in ERA this year. A catcher can only do so much with a bad pitching staff. Do you think the ERA would be worse if Wieters was not catching?

Right. Wieters was catching our starters when they were good early, and has been catching them when they have been terrible, lately. Suggesting, of course, that his calling of a game is heavily over-valued. This whole notion that he is of incredible value defensively seems to be predicated mostly on his ability to throw out would be base-stealers, which is not in question. But I refute entirely the notion that he somehow makes our staff better. All the evidence would suggest that he doesn't seem to make much of a difference at all. Toss in a sub .100 average over the past three weeks and I don't see how he makes us a better team at all.

You conveniently forgot to add that our pitching is 10th in MLB, and 4th in the AL. He also catches the RP.

Meh, maybe a shake up in where he hits is what he needs. Maybe hit him 3rd with Nick out in TB, and see what happens.

this. moving ahead of jones where he'll get more fastballs might just be the cure here. at least see how it goes. with markakis down, wieters needs to step it up and suspect he knows that. moving to third is a good first option imo

Right. Wieters was catching our starters when they were good early, and has been catching them when they have been terrible, lately. Suggesting, of course, that his calling of a game is heavily over-valued. This whole notion that he is of incredible value defensively seems to be predicated mostly on his ability to throw out would be base-stealers, which is not in question. But I refute entirely the notion that he somehow makes our staff better. All the evidence would suggest that he doesn't seem to make much of a difference at all. Toss in a sub .100 average over the past three weeks and I don't see how he makes us a better team at all.

Lol so what we should cut him? Hilarious post thanks I needed that this morning!

Lol so what we should cut him? Hilarious post thanks I needed that this morning!

NO, I'm not suggesting we cut him. Do those words pop up in my post anywhere? I'm merely saying that the success of the pitching staff - or lack thereof - isn't impacted by Wieters to such a degree that we should all get on our hands and knees and pray to his likeness. He's got an accurate cannon for an arm and that's a really good thing. But I haven't seen a shred of evidence that he calls such a good game that having him sit for a game or two would be a serious detriment to this team. That's all I'm saying. Have a serene day.

Archived