BRob homered tonight!

Frobby

Sorry for the insanely SLOW reply to your post (workin for a livin and all). While I agree he would be stealing less and less given his age, I still think it's bizarre that for a rehab program that was so methodical in slowly adding non-baseball and baseball tasks over time, there wouldn't at some point be a need to evaluate his ability (and familiarity) with stealing bases. Perhaps that's part of the next steps in his remaining rehab assignment. I remember an interview not too long ago where Roberts himself said he wasn't sure how he would be sliding into bases going forward (not just stealing). Has anyone seen him sliding on his rehab assignment? I'm curious. Whether he's a version of his old self or similar to the real thing has yet to be determined by even Roberts. At some point sliding has got to be covered. His greatest tools in baseball involved his diving head first (stealing and defense). I'd find it pretty odd if the plan was to skip that one aspect of his rehab, since it's such an important part of what defined him as a player. And the most physically dangerous part of the baseball activities that could threaten a relapse of his injury. Just my 2 cents.

Well, remember a couple of things. First, he hasn't had that many opportunities. He's been on 1st base (via walk or single) seven times, and 2B (via a double) five times (I don't know if he may have been on either base via a fielders' choice). So under "normal" circumstances, maybe he would have attempted 2-3 steals, but that's about all.

Second, I think the O's would rather have BRob taking risks with base stealing when it actually counts for the team, rather than risking an injury during a rehab game. For what it's worth, in 2010 BRob played in 8 rehab games and didn't attempt a steal, then came back to the O's and stole 10 bases in 55 games.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not the number of bases he steals, it's the threat of stealing, that is an important part of his game. Especially the threat of stealing 3B. There was no body better at it. Disrupts the pitchers rhythm and can lead to rallies. He did diving drills for fielding, so I would expect he can slide head first.

It's not the number of bases he steals, it's the threat of stealing, that is an important part of his game. Especially the threat of stealing 3B. There was no body better at it. Disrupts the pitchers rhythm and can lead to rallies. He did diving drills for fielding, so I would expect he can slide head first.

You're only a threat if you're stealing bases. No one thought Mario Mendoza was much of a threat cause...well, he couldn't hit.

If Roberts ain't stealin...he ain't stealin.

You're only a threat if you're stealing bases. No one thought Mario Mendoza was much of a threat cause...well, he couldn't hit.

If Roberts ain't stealin...he ain't stealin.

Which is why it would be nice to see him steal a base or two, while he is rehabbing.

He's only had 26 AB, so the difference between .308 and ".250ish" is 1-2 hits.

Thanks for the arithmetic lesson. I still expected .250 or even lower. You said you were surprised that he was hitting .308. What did you expect? Why don't you post that percentage and then I can tell you it's only one or two hits different from his actual average. Geez.

I went to the game tonight.. I called out to Miggy a few times and he waived each time which was cool. Brob looked great! Made a couple great plays at second and had a great approach at the plate. I hope we see him shortly after all star break.

Thanks for the arithmetic lesson. I still expected .250 or even lower. You said you were surprised that he was hitting .308. What did you expect? Why don't you post that percentage and then I can tell you it's only one or two hits different from his actual average. Geez.

LOL, yeah it's Oriole Hangout. Words are weapons of mass destruction.

I went to the game tonight.. I called out to Miggy a few times and he waived each time which was cool. Brob looked great! Made a couple great plays at second and had a great approach at the plate. I hope we see him shortly after all star break.

https://twitter.com/#!/MarkViviano

Mark Viviano ‏@MarkViviano

Looks like Brian Roberts back in big leagues next wk. Huge POTENTIAL boost to whats already a competitive team. Could get very interesting.

WOW!!!!

I am Jealous!!!!!

Well no hits for him tonight but he did have a walk and 2 really great plays in the field. On the first one he ran the ball down behind 2nd base and made an off balance throw to 1st to get the out. On the second one he went to his left and dove to grab the ball, got up quick and made the out at 1st. Arm strength seems to be fine and apparently he's all good with diving for balls. Go Brian!

Archived