BRob homered tonight!

Frobby

They tell a part of the story. 8 errors is a lot for a 2B at this time of the season. I feel like several of Andino's errors were due to lapses in concentration, or just ill-advised throws. Last night, for example, he had no chance at all to get Nava, even with a good throw. So instead he air-mails one and allows an extra run to score.

I like Andino's range, but I think he was steadier in the second half of last season than he has been in the first half of this one.

E's are to D as K's are to offense IMO. They only have meaning when they are put in context. When cited as some sort of short hand indicator of defense, they are meaningless. Andino's E's are TE's for the most part and are the result of his ability to get rid of the ball quickly. That's why his DP % is among the best of ML 2B. When he becomes more familiar with the position he will learn to play witt hin himself and put the ball in his pocket when necessary.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
E's are to D as K's are to offense IMO. They only have meaning when they are put in context. When cited as some sort of short hand indicator of defense, they are meaningless. Andino's E's are TE's for the most part and are the result of his ability to get rid of the ball quickly. That's why his DP % is among the best of ML 2B. When he becomes more familiar with the position he will learn to play witt hin himself and put the ball in his pocket when necessary.

Most statistics only have meaning when they are put into context. 99% of the posters on this board understand that if one player has better range than another, or is better at turning DP's than another, that may compensate for the fact that the first player makes a few more errors than the other. Still, many of Andino's errors have been annoying because they came from ill-advised throws or lapses of concentration.

In any event, I don't think many people think Roberts will be an upgrade over Andino defensively. The hope is that he will be a signficant upgrade offensively, and not hurt us much defensively. Andino clearly has better range than BRob had in the last couple of years, but BRob tends to be steadier and that closes the defensive gap between them somewhat. Of course, we have no idea how BRob will look defensively now, so we'll have to wait and see.

Most statistics only have meaning when they are put into context. 99% of the posters on this board understand that if one player has better range than another, or is better at turning DP's than another, that may compensate for the fact that the first player makes a few more errors than the other. Still, many of Andino's errors have been annoying because they came from ill-advised throws or lapses of concentration.

In any event, I don't think many people think Roberts will be an upgrade over Andino defensively. The hope is that he will be a signficant upgrade offensively, and not hurt us much defensively. Andino clearly has better range than BRob had in the last couple of years, but BRob tends to be steadier and that closes the defensive gap between them somewhat. Of course, we have no idea how BRob will look defensively now, so we'll have to wait and see.

The way I look at it, if BRob can be roughly equivalent or even a little below Andino at 2B, and Andino moves to 3B where he presumably will be far better defensively than Betemit, Reynolds, or Tolleson, the net-net is a big win for the O's, defensively for sure and quite possibly offensively as well.

The way I look at it, if BRob can be roughly equivalent or even a little below Andino at 2B, and Andino moves to 3B where he presumably will be far better defensively than Betemit, Reynolds, or Tolleson, the net-net is a big win for the O's, defensively for sure and quite possibly offensively as well.

I didn't like the idea of Andino's bat at third even when he WAS hitting well. I especially don't like it right now. And it's not like he's going to be a gold glover over there.

In other words, count me out for Andino becoming our primary 3B.

Andino deserves the criticism for playing like crap lately but the guy has shown that he has a ton of heart. Roberts has jogged to first base, forgot how many outs there were while on the bases and lobbed throws to first base. And he definitely has heart.

I didn't like the idea of Andino's bat at third even when he WAS hitting well. I especially don't like it right now. And it's not like he's going to be a gold glover over there.

In other words, count me out for Andino becoming our primary 3B.

100% agree.

Roberts 2B

Flaherty 3B

Reynolds 1B

Davis DH

Bench: Andino, Betemit, Pearce, Johnson

100% agree.

Roberts 2B

Flaherty 3B

Reynolds 1B

Davis DH

Bench: Andino, Betemit, Pearce, Johnson

Wait, you don't like the idea of Andino's bat at 3B, but you are ok with Flaherty at 3B? Flaherty is NOT ready to play everyday at the ML level. He is our best defensive 3B so should we just give up on offensive production in order to get better defensively?

How many games does he need to become familiar? He's 27, and has over 200 professional games at second. He's been an everyday MLB second baseman for a year. I think he's probably at the point where any gains in experience will be matched by physical declines. Defense does peak earlier than batting, on average.

Wait, you don't like the idea of Andino's bat at 3B, but you are ok with Flaherty at 3B? Flaherty is NOT ready to play everyday at the ML level. He is our best defensive 3B so should we just give up on offensive production in order to get better defensively?

Flaherty has a SSS .400-and-something MLB OPS, and 186 PAs of a .676 in AAA. We don't have a ton to go on, but what we have indicates that he's nothing like a MLB third baseman (or any MLB player) with the bat.

How many games does he need to become familiar? He's 27, and has over 200 professional games at second. He's been an everyday MLB second baseman for a year. I think he's probably at the point where any gains in experience will be matched by physical declines. Defense does peak earlier than batting, on average.
He doesn't have that many games as an every day starter. He has shown improvement over the past several years in terms of staying within himself, and I would expect he would continue to improve. That has little to do with whwether he loses a step as he "ages". He has come a long way from the unfocused hot dog he was when he first came here.

I would be fine with giving Flaherty a shot at 3B, he wouldn't be on the roster still if he didnt have any long term potential.

Andino would best used as a super utillity player where he starts a game at 3B, SS, and 2B.

He doesn't have that many games as an every day starter. He has shown improvement over the past several years in terms of staying within himself, and I would expect he would continue to improve. That has little to do with whwether he loses a step as he "ages". He has come a long way from the unfocused hot dog he was when he first came here.

I agree with most of this, and think he has come a long way, but the more I see him play the more I realize that he's a super utility guy, not an everyday player.

Archived