4th Round - Christian Walker: 1B, University of South Carolina

It would be nice to promote him to Delmarva or maybe even Frederick, but the field is kind of crowded right now.

Mahoney's "reported" departure opens up a slot. Oops, spoke too soon as the O's injury bug strikes a new draftee.

"Meanwhile, Aberdeen manager Gary Allenson said first baseman Christian Walker left tonight's game due to lower back stiffness, and it is a day-to-day issue. Walker is the Orioles' fourth-round pick this year out of the University of South Carolina.

"It's been tight. Maybe he's not used to playing this much. You play four times a week in college. He'll get a couple of days off just to be safe," Allenson said.

Walker played six innings tonight, going 0-for-3. He is batting .299 with two homers and nine RBIs in 21 Aberdeen games."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2012/07/brian-roberts-talks-about-his-night-in-aberdeen.html

Edited by bobmc

• 6 years later...

Interesting reading back through this Walker thread with the conversation related to him being a 4th round pick and historic WAR values of players drafted in that round. Too bad we couldn’t find a way to hang onto him. Always thought he could hit if given a chance. Pretty sure everyone here would gladly take him over Davis at first.

Also of note his 1.6 WAR for 2019 outpaces the guy he replaced in AZ. None other than Paul Goldschmidt who has only put up 1.4 WAR thus far for the Cards. 

On 7/18/2019 at 11:49 PM, scarey1999 said:

Too bad we couldn’t find a way to hang onto him.

Can't really blame the Orioles for the fact that he had a sub-.760 OPS in over 200 games at Norfolk. I wish him the best, but he is 28 and has just now become a Major League hitter, I doubt he even reaches arbitration before he is non-tendered or DFA'd.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Can't really blame the Orioles for the fact that he had a sub-.760 OPS in over 200 games at Norfolk. I wish him the best, but he is 28 and has just now become a Major League hitter, I doubt he even reaches arbitration before he is non-tendered or DFA'd.

Maybe we should have kept Steve Pearce and allowed Chris Davis to go to Detroit.