Mark Reynolds is a Tease Someone Else Can Deal With

brianod

At least Reynolds made to play on the pop up. The play that lost us the game was by Betemit at 3B. He has no business at 3B. Buck has to suck it up and play Flaherty at 3B against RHP, in spite of his poor bat.

Reynolds may have bad baseball IQ, but Betemit is just bad :)

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is not a thread complaining about the strikeouts and constant fielding mishaps. I am just referring to knowledge of how to play the game. The throw to third last night, almost rolling over Roberts for a pop-up at 2nd tonight. He's got to have the least feel for how a game should be played out of anyone in baseball.

Mark Reynolds is a poor fielder. It is a skill that is deficient compared to many other major leaguers. It is not his intelligence.

Oddly, you have started this thread on a night in which Betimet's defense likely cost us the game and his poor baserunning likely cemented it. But we can continue to pile on Reynolds if you like.

Mark Reynolds is a poor fielder. It is a skill that is deficient compared to many other major leaguers. It is not his intelligence.

Oddly, you have started this thread on a night in which Betimet's defense likely cost us the game and his poor baserunning likely cemented it. But we can continue to pile on Reynolds if you like.

I already explained that I am not talking about errors in the field. I am talking about situational awareness in the game. I'm done trying to explain it.

I already explained that I am not talking about errors in the field. I am talking about situational awareness in the game. I'm done trying to explain it.
I have seen Reynolds make a number of plays that showed a good "situational awareness of the game". How many plays have you seen to the contrary? Reynolds clearly has been more comfortable at 1B, and shouldn't have his play there for 111 G, be judged by his play at 3B.

I have seen Reynolds make a number of plays that showed a good "situational awareness of the game". How many plays have you seen to the contrary? Reynolds clearly has been more comfortable at 1B, and shouldn't have his play there for 111 G, be judged by his play at 3B.

You aren't listening. He already said he saw the guy stumble last night. How much more proof of stupidity do you need?

Of the regular first basemen in the AL East, only Texiera has a better OPS+ than Reynolds. And it's all of 115-112.

You fail to see Reynolds for what he is.

Only because Gonzalez is having by far his worst year in a decade, Carlos Pena is also struggling mightily and the Blue Jays sent Adam Lind down to AAA.

He is also the worst fielder by quite a bit of those players, has the worst batting average, most strikeouts per etc.

Also, the Blue Jays played Edwin Encarnacion at first base last night so if you include him as their first baseman, he really does have the worst metrics of anyone in the East.

Yes, he draws alot of walks and increases both his OBP and his OPS. His errors in the field completely negate those walks and his continual strikeouts, especially with less than 2 outs in an inning, kill any argument you can make for Reynolds being one of the better first baseman in the East.

He is what he is.....a DH with poor numbers for a guy who is playing a position made purely for hitters, being forced by Buck Showwalter to play in the field despite the fact that he is a butcher and probably the biggest enigma in baseball because he has a good batting eye to draw walks but he's also struck out more than anyone in the history of baseball.

In all honesty, Reynolds is completely in the eye of the beholder. He is all over the place......hitting 35+ home runs in a year, driving in runs put also managing to leave a small village on the basepaths and striking out way too much and committing way too many errors.

You can pick and choose the numbers you want and make a case that he is a solid player or that he is a terrible player.

I prefer him to Betemit and Nick Johnson at this point and considering Chris Davis is in a TERRIBLE slump, there really isn't much choice about Reynolds being the guy to play right now. But again, that isn't a ringing endorsement, just stating that Reynolds is the prettiest girl in by far the ugliest sorority on campus (in this case the sorority I'm referring to is the Orioles list of 1b/3b/dh's that we have to choose from).

In order to neg rep someone you have to leave a comment correct?

If the above is true then EutawBomber tried to give me positive rep for my 111 game comment. I can't be sure otherwise since he is part of the grey rep crew.

Pretty funny.

I stand by my statement that 111 games, over nine seasons, isn't exactly a lot of time for a position change, particularly since he hasn't been working there during spring training. (I put that on Buck this spring)

Only because Gonzalez is having by far his worst year in a decade' date=' Carlos Pena is also struggling mightily and the Blue Jays sent Adam Lind down to AAA.

He is also the worst fielder by quite a bit of those players, has the worst batting average, most strikeouts per etc.

Also, the Blue Jays played Edwin Encarnacion at first base last night so if you include him as their first baseman, he really does have the worst metrics of anyone in the East.

Yes, he draws alot of walks and increases both his OBP and his OPS. His errors in the field completely negate those walks and his continual strikeouts, especially with less than 2 outs in an inning, kill any argument you can make for Reynolds being one of the better first baseman in the East.

He is what he is.....a DH with poor numbers for a guy who is playing a position made purely for hitters, being forced by Buck Showwalter to play in the field despite the fact that he is a butcher and probably the biggest enigma in baseball because he has a good batting eye to draw walks but he's also struck out more than anyone in the history of baseball.

In all honesty, Reynolds is completely in the eye of the beholder. He is all over the place......hitting 35+ home runs in a year, driving in runs put also managing to leave a small village on the basepaths and striking out way too much and committing way too many errors.

You can pick and choose the numbers you want and make a case that he is a solid player or that he is a terrible player.

I prefer him to Betemit and Nick Johnson at this point and considering Chris Davis is in a TERRIBLE slump, there really isn't much choice about Reynolds being the guy to play right now. But again, that isn't a ringing endorsement, just stating that Reynolds is the prettiest girl in by far the ugliest sorority on campus (in this case the sorority I'm referring to is the Orioles list of 1b/3b/dh's that we have to choose from).[/quote']

Yes, if we gerry meander the data to fit our narrative, and only focus on what he doesn't do well, then Reynolds is in fact the worst 1st baseman in the history of baseball.

This, thread over

Betemit has had some big hits and he seems like a good enough Joe, but he is one poor fundamental ballplayer. It is all raw ability with very little thought process. I believe this summary of his skills has been the conclusion on him for years so I for one am not surprised and I'd guess Buck/Duq aren't either.

Reynolds is awkward as hell (though it seems better this year probably because he lost weight), but I don't think his baseball IQ is low at all. I do think he has a mental block about 3B and I do believe he must have admitted as much to Buck which I think is what ultimately led to him going to first base.

Yes, and no. Reynolds shouldn't have thrown that ball w 2 outs. Simple. Betemit did him no favors, but Reynolds has to know when to just eat the ball.

I disagree. Two outs or not, the runner is out by 2 steps if the play is made. If it was going to be really close even on a good throw, then I agree. But it wasn't. The runner was clearly going to be out.

When you're playing at the level these guys are playing, you don't let opportunities for fairly easy outs just go by. The runner made a mistake trying to take 3rd with 2 outs. We just let him off the hook.

Instinctually Reynolds knew that the runner was toast if he threw the ball so he did. I can't fault him for that. And nobody should say "wait until Betemit is standing on 3rd to throw the ball". It just doesn't work that way at their level. You anticipate or you're lost. Sometimes somebody zigs when somebody else thinks zag and it gets sloppy. That was what happened last night IMHO. Reynolds made the correct play IMHO and the throw wasn't even that bad. Betemit was simply very late reacting and made very little play on the ball.

This is an accurate representation of what happened. Reynolds made the correct play.

I disagree. Two outs or not, the runner is out by 2 steps if the play is made. If it was going to be really close even on a good throw, then I agree. But it wasn't. The runner was clearly going to be out.

When you're playing at the level these guys are playing, you don't let opportunities for fairly easy outs just go by. The runner made a mistake trying to take 3rd with 2 outs. We just let him off the hook.

Instinctually Reynolds knew that the runner was toast if he threw the ball so he did. I can't fault him for that. And nobody should say "wait until Betemit is standing on 3rd to throw the ball". It just doesn't work that way at their level. You anticipate or you're lost. Sometimes somebody zigs when somebody else thinks zag and it gets sloppy. That was what happened last night IMHO. Reynolds made the correct play IMHO and the throw wasn't even that bad. Betemit was simply very late reacting and made very little play on the ball.

This is what that horrible nats announcer said and palmer ripped him, IIRC. That being said, I think youre right that he should have made the throw. Its just a shame that the throw was off the mark and betemit wasnt able to corral it and at least hold the runner.

Archived