This team won't finish above .500 and they should be sellers!

zero1

The basement of the A.L. East isn't such a horrible place this year. I wouldn't place too much emphasis on the fact that we are in 2nd place, or the fact that we could be in last place in a matter of days, especially with half the season still to be played. The team is in a horrible slump right now, and they need to win at least 3 of the next 6 games before the All-Star break to get out of it.

well considering we will lose to Felix hernandez tonight, our real focus should be to avoid getting swept by the freaking mariners!

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well' date=' considering we will lose to Felix Hernandez tonight, our real focus should be to avoid getting swept by the freaking Mariners![/size']

No, the Orioles real focus should be to win tonight's game against Felix Hernandez.

You WERE the guy that said we shouldn't accept mediocrity, right ??? And now, you're conceding tonight's game before a single pitch has been thrown ???

That's NOT EVEN mediocrity, slugger. That's a flat-out loser's attitude.

How are we still a wild card leader and 2nd place in our division.. i know it won't last long while we keep playing bad but its amazing to me that we're still in the race. Feels like we should be 10 games under .500.. i really hope we can turn this around, it makes me so happy to see this ball team be competitive but ill understand if we fall back in to our usual losing ways, after 14 years you just kinda get used to it.

How are we still a wild card leader and 2nd place in our division.. i know it won't last long while we keep playing bad but its amazing to me that we're still in the race. Feels like we should be 10 games under .500.. i really hope we can turn this around, it makes me so happy to see this ball team be competitive but ill understand if we fall back in to our usual losing ways, after 14 years you just kinda get used to it.

I hope we don't fall to 10 under .500, but won't be surprised if we are by August 15.

What would you call trading for a one year rental in Jim Thome in the middle of a nearly team-wide slump? Do you think that is a move by a team playing for the future or a move to try and immediately spark a team that is hovering right around a wildcard spot despite playing some really poor baseball for the last few weeks?

You are correct that the repeated posts about the Orioles demise on this board are surely getting old. But do you know what else is getting old? Watching the Orioles boot the ball all over the field on a nightly basis and struggle to make contact with that baseball at the plate night in and night out. What's getting even older than that you say? The Orioles fans who ignore reality' date=' who think this team is on the cusp of a wildcard spot or even a .500 record and who say that anyone who points out the problems with this team is in need of a "talking too". I've noticed a trend on this board that if you disagree with someone, it's best to throw in a snarky little reply or a subtle little insult to try and solidify your argument because hey, if the other person was so smart, wouldn't they just agree with you?

I'm sure you think your post is oh so clever, if I had the time, patience or interest I'd reply in kind and then oh what a thread we'd have!

It's not my job to convince you that my post or my opinion is correct. It's a baseball message board, there is rarely a correct answer when dealing with hypothetical situations, predictions for the future and attempted analysis of past performances.

All I will say is that I think Duquette is going "all in" by trading for Thome and sending down guys like Hunter and Matusz for AAA calls-ups. Honestly, if we aren't trying to win and win now, Matusz should still be here and Thome should still be in Philly. If you disagree, I'd sure love to know why. Or you can continue to blow smoke.[/quote']

Matusz has gone down because at the moment he has no business being on a major league pitching mound. Hunter has no business being on an Orioles pitching mound because it's likely that there is not one, but several better options at Norfolk. This is not the behavior of a GM who's going "all in", but one with a little baseball judgement who is going to office every day and and doing an honest days work. At least it seems that way to me, but with AM for comparison that's an easy conclusion to jump to isn't it?

A fan of any major league baseball team deserves the best product ownership and management can put on the field at any given time. It's not the place for player development except to a limited degree each year. More than anything else I applaud DD for this change from MacPhail's tenure. A dynamic approach to team building has long been overdue, and I find the prospect of a GM who embraces that to be refreshing.

Ownership issues are real and for another discussion, but what I see tells me that Duquette is still laboring under budget restraints not delusions. To me, the acquisition of Jim Thome indicates that rather than a prelude to depleting the farm system for a short term all-or-nothing gamble. C'mon, we need offense at the moment, and we got him for spare parts. Will there be other moves to come? I hope so, and there's no reason whatsoever at this point to think Duquette will deconstruct the core team in the process. What he considers to be the core team may very well be very different from what the Orioles Hangout consensus thinks it is and that will be reason enough to continue to follow the Orioles and participate here.

I share your dissatisfaction about the current state of Orioles baseball, if not your impulse to voice it at every opportunity.

If you think tonight is the only reason we should become sellers you aren't paying attention. Buck's brainfart is pretty low on the list of why this team should become sellers. Not having anyone of quality 3-5 in the rotation and 7-9 in the lineup and a horrible defense are towards the top.

Pretty much spot on. Well said.

Can we stop calling him "King"? He's not our player and not exactly the CY pitcher he was when he won it. Stop being impressed with who he used to be. I certainly wouldn't trade for him like some have advocated here. It was a bad loss tonight, but let's not start becoming sellers because our mgr forgot we have one of the best BPs around and when to bring one of them in a high leverage situation that matched up well with the opposing team.

I like that we chased him from the game because for a while there I thought he looked like the old Felix. Hardly king like, though.

Ok this is it, team is like a never ending version of the movie Groundhog Day. Every damn year they give us some hope, we are all dumb enough to drink the Kool Aid then they collapse, fall flat on their faces and just simply cannot win. Well it is happening again now, a team would have to try to do this same scenario as many times as the Orioles have. If I was Adam Jones I would be on my knees begging for Duquette to trade me, because as long as that evil troll is the owner this team will never have another winning season. They are a joke and do not deserve to share the same city with the Ravens. I cannot wait for football season to start as I know exact5ly what this team will do. They will be in last place next week. I cannot believe we have losers like Robert Andino and Ryan Flaherty starting on a regular basis. The Yankees must sit back and laugh at us.

Meanwhile Andino hits the go-ahead home run and makes the final putout...

...but don't let that get in the way.

Edit: I just did a little research (btw it's a useful habit to get into) because the image of the Yankees laughing at us this year just didn't seem appropriate. It's true they've beaten us 5-3 in games played so far, but their run differential is also -3 during that time. Hardly grounds for hilarity.

Are you saying he is a starting player? Are you kidding me? He is AT BEST a utility infielder. Every blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while. When was the last time before this that he had a meaningful hit? If you are going to argue this point because of one lucky swing then so be it. I still stand by the fact that teams like the Yankees laugh every time they see his name in the lineup.

Andino's career OPS+ against the Yankees is 134. Why would they laugh?

Archived