Are Presley and Adair Going To Be Replaced Before the All - Star Break?

section18

We need more castoffs then, because Cruz has an OPS+ of 182. Maybe we should recruit from Asian leper colonies instead of their baseball leagues.

Increasing team OBP was supposedly a priority. It wasn't addressed. So it wasn't really. It's not like they signed a high OBP machine, and then ruined him. It's not something the front office cares about.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love that this thread was merged with one calling Presley to be fired before the All Star break in 2012. Unfortunately, I think the irony will be lost on the few that need it most.

Is Presley a good hitting coach? I have no idea and neither do any of you. All the work is done outside of our ability to observe and we have no real idea whether the hitters are performing to their current level in spite of or because of the HC. If I wanted to defend Presley, I could point out that Cruz has never hit this well for this long. Of course, I have no reason to believe that is due to Presley so it would be silly to do so.

Crowley was never fired. He could have kept that job. He chose an better one for him. With us.

Miguel Cabrera and Chris Davis both credit Presley.

I agree this is mostly reactionary but at the same time I hate the orioles current hitting philosophy. Prior to last night's game Brad Peacock had given up 3.6 walks per game in his previous six games. Last night he gives up none. You can't ignore that.

At the same time they took 5 walks the night before against Gallardo. It's maddeningly inconsistent. It goes back to what I have been saying all year, this team looks unfocused and without a game plan. The only guy who really seems focused, makes every at bat count is Cruz. And we all know he seeking redemption and probably a pay day.

I also have not liked the O's hitting philosophy because it is Presley's hitting philosophy. I have not liked the hiring of Presley from the beginning. My immediate reaction was, why would they hire a failed major league hitter that never figured out how to hit in the majors. My experience with coaches is that they tend to coach in one of two ways. They coach like they were coached, so they imitate the coaches they had. They coach based on their own approach or philosophy. Presley was a failed major league hitter and was out of baseball by the time he was 30. He was an all or nothing hitter. He either K'd or hit homeruns. He had a low batting average and did not walk often which resulted in a low obp. He had a high strikeout rate. Many of the current Orioles sound like clones of this same philosophy. So what is the result of having Presley as a hitting coach? We have many "Presley"-like hitters.

I also have not liked the O's hitting philosophy because it is Presley's hitting philosophy. I have not liked the hiring of Presley from the beginning. My immediate reaction was, why would they hire a failed major league hitter that never figured out how to hit in the majors. My experience with coaches is that they tend to coach in one of two ways. They coach like they were coached, so they imitate the coaches they had. They coach based on their own approach or philosophy. Presley was a failed major league hitter and was out of baseball by the time he was 30. He was an all or nothing hitter. He either K'd or hit homeruns. He had a low batting average and did not walk often which resulted in a low obp. He had a high strikeout rate. Many of the current Orioles sound like clones of this same philosophy. So what is the result of having Presley as a hitting coach? We have many "Presley"-like hitters.

Have you even looked up Charlie Lau's lifetime numbers? Walt Hriniak's? What kind of pitching career did Ray Miller and Leo Mazzone have?

Everyone who goes to boston or ny turns into OBP machines. So hitting coaching sure as hell as a lot to do with the fact not one gut on our team knows how to properly take a pitch or foul anything off untill they get their pitch.

With Adam Jones its not even about me wanting him to walk more. Hes ALWAYS swinging at the pitchers pitch (and usually the dirts pitch). If he had any sense of patience he would get far more of what hes paid for and thats homeruns and rbis.

But its certainly not just Adam, I guarentee if Manny was on the red sox he would be a far more advanced hitter. Just look at Bogaerts. He is not on Mannys level imo and yet has a rediculous .388 obp that would be far and away the highest on our team.

Hitting coaching has a lot to do with this but its also on Buck for enforcing this aggressive gameplan that only works when guys like Davos, Hardy, and Jones are actually hitting homeruns. Im really sick of seeing the Os starters at 85 pitches in the 4th and the opposing teams scrubs still in the 30s in the 4th. Its pathetic.

I seriously doubt that this happens with any significant frequency, if at all.

Everyone who goes to boston or ny turns into OBP machines. So hitting coaching sure as hell as a lot to do with the fact not one gut on our team knows how to properly take a pitch or foul anything off untill they get their pitch.

With Adam Jones its not even about me wanting him to walk more. Hes ALWAYS swinging at the pitchers pitch (and usually the dirts pitch). If he had any sense of patience he would get far more of what hes paid for and thats homeruns and rbis.

But its certainly not just Adam, I guarentee if Manny was on the red sox he would be a far more advanced hitter. Just look at Bogaerts. He is not on Mannys level imo and yet has a rediculous .388 obp that would be far and away the highest on our team.

Hitting coaching has a lot to do with this but its also on Buck for enforcing this aggressive gameplan that only works when guys like Davos, Hardy, and Jones are actually hitting homeruns. Im really sick of seeing the Os starters at 85 pitches in the 4th and the opposing teams scrubs still in the 30s in the 4th. Its pathetic.

Do they turn into OBP machines or does NY just target those kind of hitters. ;)

Markakis

Pearce

Jones

Davis

Cruz

I'd give that a try for a while to see what happens.

Yeah, i was just kidding. I don't buy the basic "protection" premise. Hasn't Cruz been hitting behind him the majority of the time?

Have you even looked up Charlie Lau's lifetime numbers? Walt Hriniak's? What kind of pitching career did Ray Miller and Leo Mazzone have?

Or even Kevin Long. Earl Weaver was not much of a baseball payer either.

I seriously doubt that this happens with any significant frequency, if at all.
If you stick only to verifiable facts the lynch mob tends to lose interest and go home, instead of lighting more torches and busting down doors.

It doesn't. And we have several people who want to start a revolution founded in Maine.

Archived