Is there any chance that Gausman does not sign?

Swampdonks

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's how I felt too at the time, but we didn't go after Appel due to signability issues. Ironic, because we can't seem to sign this guy, but we all KNOW that the Pirates won't get a shot at Appel.

I don't know why you keep saying this. This is a process and the Orioles had no reason to rush signing him because of the amount of innings on him already this year. Relax, he's going to sign.

Can we please sort it all out today. Tomorrow, the rumours about him not signing will be unbearable.

Unbearable? Really? Was anyone really crushed when Townsend didn't sign? Did his decision to go back to school impact the Os negatively in any way? Can you name another first round pick that the Os didn't sign - despite all the 11th hour posturing?

He'll sign tomorrow and we'll all yawn, shrug our shoulders and go back to work. He'll be a minor blip on the radar screen for years to come and we'll have long forgotten all about it.

Unbearable? Really? Was anyone really crushed when Townsend didn't sign? Did his decision to go back to school impact the Os negatively in any way? Can you name another first round pick that the Os didn't sign - despite all the 11th hour posturing?

I think he'll ultimately sign, but xian is right-- there will be plenty of panicked Orioles fans here and elsewhere who will be sweating things out until the last minute, fearing that he won't sign. It happens every year. You should've seen the OH when the Matt Wieters negotiations went down to the wire, and even past the midnight deadline. Some folks were pretty much jumping off bridges. (I don't know if that thread is still around.)

It would be nice to get the Gausman signing out of the way earlier.

You should've seen the OH when the Matt Wieters negotiations went down to the wire, and even past the midnight deadline. Some folks were pretty much jumping off bridges.

That was a crazy night. It was absolute madness.

I think they kept it going past midnight just to screw with us.

That was a crazy night. It was absolute madness.

I think they kept it going past midnight just to screw with us.

I remember sitting in my bedroom, unable to sleep, constantly hitting refresh on the OH. Oh the memories.

On topic I do think this will get done. I'm nowhere near as worried as I was with Wieters. There's way too much risk involved for Gausman if he doesn't sign and there's very little upside.

From Dan Connolly on Twitter

#Orioles Gausman still in negotiations. Says Rajsich: “We are making progress. We’re waiting to hear their next proposal.” Deadline 5 p.m Fri

Yikes, looks like he has turned down another offer.

#Orioles Gausman still in negotiations. Says Rajsich: “We are making progress. We’re waiting to hear their next proposal.” Deadline 5 p.m Fri

Why would he accept any offer made, until just before the deadline? The O's are going to change theiir minds on him and walk a away? He's got nothing to lose to wait until the last minute.

Why would he accept any offer made, until just before the deadline? The O's are going to change theiir minds on him and walk a away? He's got nothing to lose to wait until the last minute.

O's could lower their offer as the deadline approaches as well.

This seems to be the best way to play from a draft pick's perspective, IMO - especially since Gausman is unlikely to see much time this year. You never know if the team will buckle and pay more - as has happened many times in these situations - though the Os don't move much.

Since the Os want to make it happen with Poche and Velasquez, it would be beneficial to the team for Gausman to sign earlier. That is not Gausman's issue however and he could well be telling the team that he is not going to sign for slot to provide $ for both of them. Besides, why should Gausman accept $ below slot if Poche won't? Those would be Gausman's lines.

I doubt the Os are going to budge much if at all from where they are now. Of course, this last minute posturing could be putting pressue on Poche and Velasquez to lower their numbers. Who knows?

If they do that then the kid goes back to school and reenters the draft next year. They aren't doing that. It's tantamount to walking away.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Orioles: "Here's 3 million bucks."

Gausman: "No thanks, I want more."

Orioles: do nothing

4pm on Friday rolls around...

Orioles: "Here's 2.5 million bucks. Take it or have fun in school."

Gausman: "Deal!"

I haven't read the whole thread but as I understand it if we don't sign him this year, we would get the fifth overall pick next year in addition to our regular pick. Does that sound right? How does next years draft look as compared to this years? I don't follow college players that much, but he doesn't sound all that exciting to me.

#Orioles Gausman still in negotiations. Says Rajsich: ?We are making progress. We?re waiting to hear their next proposal.? Deadline 5 p.m Fri

This is the thing that bothers me the most about these amateur atheletes. In a system like we have now, the more money you try to hold the team hostage for, means the less likely the team can make itself stronger by signing others. So, his greed could and likely will hurt the team as far as other potential last minute signees go.

Greed

This is the thing that bothers me the most about these amateur atheletes. In a system like we have now, the more money you try to hold the team hostage for, means the less likely the team can make itself stronger by signing others. So, his greed could and likley will hurt the team as far as other potential last minute signees go.

Greed

You can't spell Greed without Reed!

Archived