Orioles' Duquette: "Our future is now."

Greg

Orioles still looking for pitching

0 minutes ago by KenRosenthal

The Orioles have lost six of their last seven games and 17 of their last 24.

Their ace, right-hander Jason Hammel, is out 3 to 4 weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

Two of their second basemen, Brian Roberts and Robert Andino, also are on the disabled list.

Some in the organization believe that the team should pull back from the trade market, major-league sources say. General manager Dan Duquette disagrees.

Duquette, speaking emphatically, told FOXSports.com on Wednesday that the team is still a buyer.

?Our future is now,? Duquette said of the Orioles, who are 10 games back in the AL East but only a ?-game behind in the wild-card race.

Duquette said his No. 1 priority is stabilizing the team?s starting rotation, which ranks 12th in the AL with a 4.79 ERA.

?We?re going to try to do everything we can to get into the playoffs this year,? Duquette said. ?I just think it?s important to the fans that they know we?re trying to put a good team on the field and have a good season.?

The Orioles have been linked to a number of starting pitchers, from Brewers right-hander Zack Greinke to Mariners lefty Jason Vargas to Phillies righty Joe Blanton. Duquette, however, said the market is ?pretty tight? because of the number of teams in contention.

?The top pitchers are fairly well-defined,? Duquette said, referring to Greinke and Phillies left-hander Cole Hamels. ?The teams that have the top pitchers, if they had their druthers, they?d rather sign them for their ballclubs.?

The Phillies are planning to make an offer to Hamels. The Brewers? strategy with Greinke is less clear.

-Ken Rosenthal

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure sounds like a guy who is going to do something before the trade deadline. I think we will pick up a starting pitcher, because even if we don't make a playoff run, we may need a reliable arm just to get through the season without a 2007-like implosion, which I'm sure Duquette would like to avoid.

Orioles still looking for pitching

0 minutes ago by KenRosenthal

The Orioles have lost six of their last seven games and 17 of their last 24.

Their ace, right-hander Jason Hammel, is out 3 to 4 weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

Two of their second basemen, Brian Roberts and Robert Andino, also are on the disabled list.

Some in the organization believe that the team should pull back from the trade market, major-league sources say. General manager Dan Duquette disagrees.

Duquette, speaking emphatically, told FOXSports.com on Wednesday that the team is still a buyer.

?Our future is now,? Duquette said of the Orioles, who are 10 games back in the AL East but only a ?-game behind in the wild-card race.

Duquette said his No. 1 priority is stabilizing the team?s starting rotation, which ranks 12th in the AL with a 4.79 ERA.

?We?re going to try to do everything we can to get into the playoffs this year,? Duquette said. ?I just think it?s important to the fans that they know we?re trying to put a good team on the field and have a good season.?

The Orioles have been linked to a number of starting pitchers, from Brewers right-hander Zack Greinke to Mariners lefty Jason Vargas to Phillies righty Joe Blanton. Duquette, however, said the market is ?pretty tight? because of the number of teams in contention.

?The top pitchers are fairly well-defined,? Duquette said, referring to Greinke and Phillies left-hander Cole Hamels. ?The teams that have the top pitchers, if they had their druthers, they?d rather sign them for their ballclubs.?

The Phillies are planning to make an offer to Hamels. The Brewers? strategy with Greinke is less clear.

-Ken Rosenthal

DD must have just gotten back from break and not seen the last few games

If he can find a trade that makes the team better without giving up our top prospects, i'm all for it.. question is, can we offer more than other teams in contention can? We shall see. My prediction is we acquire Saunders.

Good for DD, he should be saying those things publicly. We have lost for 15 years!!! For Pete's money sake! :)

Seriously, he may say this but I wouldn't expect anything dramatic if it doesn't make sense for the long term benefit of the club. I don't see this happeneing with so many teams in the hunt, so I expect to see a Strop or Reynolds or Chavez traded.

If he can find a trade that makes the team better without giving up our top prospects, i'm all for it.. question is, can we offer more than other teams in contention can? We shall see. My prediction is we acquire Saunders.

What would you be willing to give up for Saunders? Say the D-Backs wanted Glynn Davis and Eduardo Rodriguez. Would you do it?

What would you be willing to give up for Saunders? Say the D-Backs wanted Glynn Davis and Eduardo Rodriguez. Would you do it?

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

I wouldn't trade one of them for him.

The only way they have any chance at all of hanging around would be if they trade for 2 of Greinke, Hamels, Garza, or Dempster along with Headley and a 2B like Scutaro. The farm system is not strong enough to bring back 2 of those pitchers and both of those players without trading Bundy, Machado, or Schoop so it makes no sense to be buyers.

I don't honestly think we want Saunders that badly. I'd give them our left overs but I doubt that gets anything done. Sounds like posturing from DD.

Archived