Orioles' Duquette: "Our future is now."

Greg

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look, I don't think that either Buck or DD are clueless. They're smart guys, but smart guys fail all of the time. And smart guys with previous success fail all of the time. This logic could also apply to Syd Thrift, Andy MacPhail, Omar Minaya, Dallas Green, Billy Beane, etc. None of them merit deference. So, no, we shouldn't disparage Duquette hyperbolically, but we shouldn't be told to pipe down w/r/t criticism, either.

What exactly are you critical of? The fact that he said he was going to play to win now? The idea that he may trade away pieces of the future. He hasn't made a terrible error in judgement yet has he? So what is your criticism? The idea that we should try to win now?

Look, I don't think that either Buck or DD are clueless. They're smart guys, but smart guys fail all of the time. And smart guys with previous success fail all of the time. This logic could also apply to Syd Thrift, Andy MacPhail, Omar Minaya, Dallas Green, Billy Beane, etc. None of them merit deference. So, no, we shouldn't disparage Duquette hyperbolically, but we shouldn't be told to pipe down w/r/t criticism, either.

I agree

What exactly are you critical of? The fact that he said he was going to play to win now? The idea that he may trade away pieces of the future. He hasn't made a terrible error in judgement yet has he? So what is your criticism? The idea that we should try to win now?

I don't like his trades for Eveland, Thome or Teagarden.

I don't like his actions w/r/t to the signing of Seong Min Kim.

I'm skeptical of his firing of numerous scouts.

I don't much like the inefficiency/failure to maximize in the recent draft.

I'm skeptical of his expenditures of solid amounts of cash for low-to-medium-upside international prospects.

How much am I supposed to come up w/ in seven months of activity? I don't need something to be 'terrible' for it be worthy of critique. I refuse to pre-judge DD on anything, but that doesn't mean I can't have opinions about his overall approach as evidenced so far.

Dude. One of my very favorite bands. I'm not plus membership or I'd rep this right away. Someone do the man a favor...

That song is awesome. I was happy to get a chance to post it. It was, sadly, also thematically on point.

Im curious what it would take to get justin upton from AZ.

He's a corner OF, 2 yrs younger than Adam Jones and is locked up thru 2015

If i gotta watch Tolleson,Flaherty, or Pearce play another game in LF, im gonna hurl

Im curious what it would take to get justin upton from AZ.

He's a corner OF, 2 yrs younger than Adam Jones and is locked up thru 2015

If i gotta watch Tolleson,Flaherty, or Pearce play another game in LF, im gonna hurl

Start with Bundy and/or Machado.

Start with Bundy and/or Machado.

Given their SS situation, I'd think Machado would fit.

I think it's interesting that the Pirates have balked (apparently) even at the idea of sending Starling Marte to AZ in an Upton trade, let alone one of their BA top-15's.

Given their SS situation, I'd think Machado would fit.

I think it's interesting that the Pirates have balked (apparently) even at the idea of sending Starling Marte to AZ in an Upton trade, let alone one of their BA top-15's.

Machado plus...what, do you think?

Perhaps you are reading too much into my reply (shocking, I know). I was addressing the statement that they were clueless. I never, at any point, said they were above criticism, and I certainly never told anybody to pipe down. Smart people do fail all the time, and armchair GM's always think they can do a better job then a real GM, because they won their fantasy league in 2009.

Personally, I am very meh with the moves DD has made. They don't bother me one way, or the other. I don't feel like we added or lost any real talent, outside of Hammel and Chen.

Perhaps you are reading too much into my reply (shocking, I know). I was addressing the statement that they were clueless. I never, at any point, said they were above criticism, and I certainly never told anybody to pipe down. Smart people do fail all the time, and armchair GM's always think they can do a better job then a real GM, because they won their fantasy league in 2009.

Personally, I am very meh with the moves DD has made. They don't bother me one way, or the other. I don't feel like we added or lost any real talent, outside of Hammel and Chen.

Perhaps you are reading too much into my post (doubly shocking!) because, while I was addressing your point, which I did directly (to the point of agreeing with you), I was also addressing VVJ's post (which is why I quoted it), which is part of an on-going effort to (apparently) deflect any criticism of DD. You'll note that I quoted both posts.

Whatever else you're talking about (armchair GMs, etc.) seems pretty irrelevant, because I don't see many people, in the wake of SG's departure, claiming that they could do a GM's job w/o enormous difficulty.

I don't like his trades for Eveland, Thome or Teagarden.

I don't like his actions w/r/t to the signing of Seong Min Kim.

I'm skeptical of his firing of numerous scouts.

I don't much like the inefficiency/failure to maximize in the recent draft.

I'm skeptical of his expenditures of solid amounts of cash for low-to-medium-upside international prospects.

How much am I supposed to come up w/ in seven months of activity? I don't need something to be 'terrible' for it be worthy of critique. I refuse to pre-judge DD on anything, but that doesn't mean I can't have opinions about his overall approach as evidenced so far.

You don't want to pre-judge, but the draft was a failure? I can't reconcile that.

BTW, he isn't above criticism, but I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think he is going to hit the panic button.

I was addressing your point, which I did directly, and VVJ's post, which is part of an on-going effort to (apparently) deflect any criticism of DD. You'll note that I quoted both posts.

Roger, that. I've been working since 8am, my eyes and brain are a bit fried. Apologies.

Archived