Vs. Ohio

AgentOrange

Gary has won without elite levels of talent, but its not a great way to go about building a program thats designed to win championships. Gary struck absolute gold with Dixon and Baxter. Two unheralded kids that ended up being absolute studs at the college level. These are the two best players that have ever played for Gary besides maybe the Wizard and they both essentially came out of nowhere (and at the same time). Something like that happening again is nearly impossible.

And I thik Gary knows this. He used the Final 4's and Nat'l Championship to sign the two best classes he's ever signed. They flopped for the most part, which is very unfortunate, but there was a lot of talent in those classes. The strategy backfired and he had to recruit filler from JuCo that could step in immediately instead of going after more talent HS guys in the classes following the big 5-man classes. He's going after the top talent now, as he should, not counting on unheralded recruits turning into Dixon, Baxter, or Nicholas.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gary has won without elite levels of talent, but its not a great way to go about building a program thats designed to win championships. Gary struck absolute gold with Dixon and Baxter. Two unheralded kids that ended up being absolute studs at the college level. These are the two best players that have ever played for Gary besides maybe the Wizard and they both essentially came out of nowhere (and at the same time). Something like that happening again is nearly impossible.

And I thik Gary knows this. He used the Final 4's and Nat'l Championship to sign the two best classes he's ever signed. They flopped for the most part, which is very unfortunate, but there was a lot of talent in those classes. The strategy backfired and he had to recruit filler from JuCo that could step in immediately instead of going after more talent HS guys in the classes following the big 5-man classes. He's going after the top talent now, as he should, not counting on unheralded recruits turning into Dixon, Baxter, or Nicholas.

Mackus,

You nailed it exactly.

TS,

The question about Francis and Wilcox was rhetorical.

Again you are confusing me with someone else, I have never mentioned their speed. I have written that other than Vasquez they lack the ability to break the defense down and that is a big issue in their offense. In my opinion the trade off with Hayes is that he is a big point guard so he somewhat lacks the ability to penetrate but he understand spacing, makes wonderful entry passes and understands the offense-he is adequate defensively. The other issue that everyone forgets is that in comparing him to Blake; he is playing with a younger, less talented team. Another issue is that the flex creates wonderful slashing opportunities for the small forward (Milbourne or Tucker) and neither has been able to capitalize on it.

I think the big issue is youth, second talent, and third makeup of the team (outside shooting, lack of shotblocking/rebounding 5) but they play hard and will get better. Mackus is correct in their recruiting philosophy as witnessed by this year's recruits, especially the pursuit of Jennings. I don't think anyone is asking for a team of top 50 recruits but a top 20 talent really could help transform this team-at this point they seem to be a collection of complementary pieces-again that could change as they mature.

Please note that this is Md's least talented team (as ranked by RSCI) in the past decade, I also believe that are flaws with this team (quickness. outside shooting, legnth) that cannot be measured-but they do have the chance to improve over time with teaching.

and this would be...

and this would be...

Are you referring to my reference to quickness? Others have noted "speed" which I would think refers to transition? Don't know, can't speak for them.

Quickness in basketball generally refers to the ability to penetrate or drive and the ability to move your feet on defense. Lot's of bigger players have speed but may not have quickness (Hayes could be an example?). I was noting this team's inability to break down the defense by dribble penetration which then opens up the perimeter for jump shots-one of the reasons they shoot so poorly from the outside. I do not think speed is an issue, they are a decent defensive team but are challenged in transition not because of speed but because they do not rebound all that well.

Please pay attention to context!!

Well... I'm glad you have all the answers -- and definitions -- of course, it's very hard to tell exactly what you are trying to say because so many of your points are followed by clarification or explanations that would cover most any situation.

If I follow you... you "know" Gary and like him... but you elude to the fact that he has some personality flaw --bland personality? Sometimes a jerk? -- that makes it difficult to appeal to star players. BUT... you think he's a great guy. But...

Maryland's recruiting, as detailed by a ratings system has fallen off the table. BUT, you can't always rely on those ratings systems. And coaching can make poorly rated players good. BUT, in general teams that don't recruit the top studs can succeed. BUT, they might be able to succeed if they are well coached.

And... quickness doesn't refer to speed. Or something like that.

And... this group of recruits is pretty sad. But, they might be good some day... but, maybe they will be the worst class yet... oh... and... Gary's recruiting hasn't been by design, but rather by reaction to getting turn-downs by better players.

I'm actually beginning to think Maryland should dump Gary and hire you.

TS,

Let's not waste everyone's time. I think most will agree speed and quickness are very different-maybe I am wrong. If my points seem disengenious it is because you have a habit of mis-representing my points and I would like to clarify them. On the other hand even though Md is playing poorly I prefer to be optimistic, I think you should try it-it makes life a lot easier.

Good Luck!!

I would actually pay good money to watch you explain to Gary Williams - to his face - that his recruiting strategy isn't by design. You could bring along the "paper trail" of documentation to support your opinion.

But... I will leave it that.

At least I can get a chuckle.

TS,

Please!! Very, very few recruiting strategies are by design-kids choose other schools, they don't qualify, lot's of things happen-they adjust. Koufus was their first choice as a big man, Bowie was probably their third choice as a guard, they would have taken Pope over Tucker. They would have taken Green before any of last year's class. Beyond that no one really wants a class this big by design (essentially 6 with Burney) you would rather have 3-4 per year. Give it up.......you are really starting to show your ignorance now.

Once again... I will have to defer to you.

Afterall, you played hoops, your wife played D1 hoops, you have friends at the D1 level who are coaches, assistants, AND refs (can we throw in Towel Boys?) AND you "know and like" Gary Williams. Definitely inside the beltway.

As you have pointed out... my points of view range from "sadly mistaken" to flat out "ignorance." But that's okay - I am fine with my ignorance. I will happily watch a coach that is "not paid to win games" stumble across his next great team.

Go Terps.

Gary is such a frustrating figure...

He has earned the "leave on his own status"...yet at the same time I feel like we are always underachieving.

The Baltimore-DC corridor--that Maryland falls flat in the middle of--is the richest hot bed of talent in the country. Maryland should be to basketball what Texas is to football.

We should be falling ass-backwards into sweet 16s, not scratching and clawing for a bid.

I really don't know what the solution is other than wait it out...

I definitely overrated the talent on the Terps. To me, the backcourt - not so much the freshmen - has been the biggest problem. Both Hayes and especially Vasquez have been disappointing. Instead of being the plus I thought they'd be this season, they've gotten killed by good backcourts - the VCU game being an embarrassment for them. Up front, if Dupree became the Baxter clone that some said he'd be, I think they'd be really good - and could have gone to huge lineups with Gist at the 3 on occasion. But his (and Burney's and Walker's) lack of progress has taken away a lot of posibilities. I still think Gist and Osby are really valuable college players. And I'm not ready to give up on this team this season. They can still turn things around, but they're going to have to upset both Duke and UNC. They're not as good as them, but on any given day, they can beat them; they can also get blown out.

Archived