Hope Dan is on the Phones....

Greg

How about Teixera? People on here were screaming for him and pissed that the O's didn't make a similar bid. You are in fact assisting in my point. The O's are not financially equipped to get into a bidding war. Hammels and Greinke will go to the highest bidder which will be one of the bigger markets. The O's can't and won't, again last 14 years, outspend them. The only option on those 2, in my opinion, is a trade and extend. Unfortunately that seems unlikely at best.

Teixera was not coming here. No matter what we offered. Reality is that unless you have a particular affinity for the city of Baltimore or the Orioles as a team (for some odd reason) you will go for the money and/or the chance to win. Unless we significantly outbid other teams we really don't have much of a chance for getting good free agents.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Teixera was not coming here. No matter what we offered. Reality is that unless you have a particular affinity for the city of Baltimore or the Orioles as a team (for some odd reason) you will go for the money and/or the chance to win. Unless we significantly outbid other teams we really don't have much of a chance for getting good free agents.

This is exactly my point. So those clamoring "just go sign him in the offseason" aren't being realistic, IMO.

I think that is also under_scoring his original point.

This is exactly my point. So those clamoring "just go sign him in the offseason" aren't being realistic, IMO.

But you're saying we don't have the money to go after guys. I'm saying we do have some money to outbid some teams, just not enough to overcome the winning factor and our dysfunctional reputation. And our ballpark also works against attracting big name pitchers who don't want to pitch in the cozy confines of Camden Yards.

But you're saying we don't have the money to go after guys. I'm saying we do have some money to outbid some teams, just not enough to overcome the winning factor and our dysfunctional reputation. And our ballpark also works against attracting big name pitchers who don't want to pitch in the cozy confines of Camden Yards.

I think what he's saying is, however much money we have, someone else will always have more when talking about premium talent. Or, the amount will be close enough that the player will opt for an organization that is closer to the top.

It's not important whether we make the playoffs or not. It's important we stay in the hunt. We need to add some pieces without giving up top prospects to do that. Adding Polanco would improve 3B defense by 3+W's. Betemit's bat can play at 1B. Polanco will give you as good if not a better bat than Andino.

It's not important wjhether we make the playoffs or not. It's important we stay in the hunt. We need to add some pieces without giving up top prospects to do that. Adding Polanco would improve 3B defense by 3+W's. Betemit's bat can play at 1B. Polanco will give you as good if not a better bat than Andino.

What? Polanco has only surpassed 2.0 defensive WAR once in his career, which was 2001. Not to mention the fact that even if he was worth 3 'wins' over a full season at 3b, there's only 1/3 of a season left so he would be adding 1 win at most.

I believe you mentioned in another post that you were basing this point on UZR, saying that Polanco has a 2.9 UZR at 3b while Betemit has a -1.6 so far. UZR is not measured in 'wins' so that argument doesn't follow. Basically the difference between +2.9 and -1.6 UZR over this much of a season is equivalent to the difference between 'moderately above average' to 'moderately below average'.

What? Polanco has only surpassed 2.0 defensive WAR once in his career, which was 2001. Not to mention the fact that even if he was worth 3 'wins' over a full season at 3b, there's only 1/3 of a season left so he would be adding 1 win at most.

I believe you mentioned in another post that you were basing this point on UZR, saying that Polanco has a 2.9 UZR at 3b while Betemit has a -1.6 so far. UZR is not measured in 'wins' so that argument doesn't follow. Basically the difference between +2.9 and -1.6 UZR over this much of a season is equivalent to the difference between 'moderately above average' to 'moderately below average'.

Sorry brain fart. Meant R's not W's. If You add Polanco's glove you aren't losing Betemits' bat.

105.7 FM is speculating that a multiplayer trade involving Polanco is close...Heard it on the radio so take it FWIW.

I hope that multiplayer deal involves more Phillies. Perhaps Polanco/Pence - I would hate to think we give up ANYthing of value for Polanco. He is toast.

Whether you believe the O's have enough money or not, the fact is Peter Angelos hasn't shown, with the exception of the late 90's, the willingness to pay for "premium" talent. Everyone needs starting pitching and once Greinke and Hammels reach free agency then they are going to be highly coveted. As you say, the O's can compete with the medium to low markets but if NY, Boston, LA, Detroit or any other of the larger markets get involved and the price skyrockets well you can just forget it.

I think what he's saying is, however much money we have, someone else will always have more when talking about premium talent. Or, the amount will be close enough that the player will opt for an organization that is closer to the top.

This.

Yes multiplayer trade could be polanco blanton pierre. That would address 3 holes in one trade and probly not break the farm or our budget. If these are players coming to us wonder who would be going to philly. I'd like to be able to pry dominic brown from them as well.

Lineup with these additions

Pierre lf

Markakis rf

Thome dh

Jones cf

Weiters c

Hardy ss

betemit 1b

polanco 3b

flaherty 2b

Archived