Marlins and Orioles discussing scenarios

Greg

Orioles: What would you want for Josh Johnson?

Marlins answer

Orioles: What would you want for Hanley

Marlins answer

Orioles: Could we get Josh Johnson without giving up Manny or Bundy?

Marlins answer

Scenarios.

I just think it's funny how people get so wrapped up in vague tweets.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is a terrible idea.

Seriously that is a terrible idea. And DD has already stated that Manny and Dylan are off the table.

I mean, I get that Johnson has struggled with injuries the last two seasons. But aside from that, he's a dominant pitcher. I'm not exactly clamoring to trade Machado for anyone right now, but Johnson's the kind of player I'd at least have to think really hard about.

Speculation this morning on MLB radio in regard to Orioles' possible interest in Josh Johnson.

Thought was that JJ's injury history and that he is only locked up for one more year makes Manny and Bundy off limits.

They thought that possibly something like Schoop and Zach Britton get talks started.

I mean, I get that Johnson has struggled with injuries the last two seasons. But aside from that, he's a dominant pitcher. I'm not exactly clamoring to trade Machado for anyone right now, but Johnson's the kind of player I'd at least have to think really hard about.

Not Machado. Start with Matusz and someone like Drake. Trade one disappointing mega-talent for another.

Never forget that Johnson would be coming into the AL East and that is never a good thing for a NL pitcher. Save for Hammel whose stats were thrown off by Colorado.

Speculation this morning on MLB radio in regard to Orioles' possible interest in Josh Johnson.

Thought was that JJ's injury history and that he is only locked up for one more year makes Manny and Bundy off limits.

They thought that possibly something like Schoop and Zach Britton get talks started.

I'd start those talks for sure.

Not Machado. Start with Matusz and someone like Drake. Trade one disappointing mega-talent for another.

Never forget that Johnson would be coming into the AL East and that is never a good thing for a NL pitcher. Save for Hammel whose stats were thrown off by Colorado.

It's true that Johnson's potential and results aren't equal, but his arm would more than play in the AL East.

Wait, Josh Johnson is a disappointing mega-talent?

His ERA+ (in his healthy seasons): 2006 - 140, 2008 - 121, 2009 - 131, 2010 - 180, 2012 - 99. Matusz's BEST year was a 99 ERA+. Britton had a 91 ERA+ last year.

He's having a down year so far, but even that's a 4.14 ERA with 105 Ks and 35 BB. His numbers suggest that it's an aberration. He's also still just 28.

I think HRam could be in play. We need a big bat as well as someone at 3B - possibly SS. HRam's salary ramp-up is an indication that he is likely to be dealt (and I believe Fl has a good 3B prospect in the wings). Lucky for us, the NYY and BoSox appear set at 3B. The Marlins also have a lot of OFers between Stanton, Bonafacio, Morrison, Ruggiano, etc. I could see us having interest in Morrison and we also have a need at 2B. We have good SP - only need to deal for elite SPs, IMO.

I could see a big deal where we move a combination of:

- two of Tillman/Arrietta/Matusz/Hunter

- one or two of Schoop, Avery, Hoes (though Florida has little need for an OFer)

- Gausman as part of a PTNL (enabling us to keep Bundy/Machado) and/or our recently won supplemental pick

Not sure what the above can bring, but it could be substantial. Not sure of Florida's wasted salaries, but if we could absorb some of that it might lower the cost in prospects - offering PA a chance to step up. We'll see.

Archived