Marlins and Orioles discussing scenarios

Greg

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think HRam could be in play. We need a big bat as well as someone at 3B - possibly SS. HRam's salary ramp-up is an indication that he is likely to be dealt (and I believe Fl has a good 3B prospect in the wings). Lucky for us, the NYY and BoSox appear set at 3B. The Marlins also have a lot of OFers between Stanton, Bonafacio, Morrison, Ruggiano, etc. I could see us having interest in Morrison and we also have a need at 2B. We have good SP - only need to deal for elite SPs, IMO.

I could see a big deal where we move a combination of:

- two of Tillman/Arrietta/Matusz/Hunter

Ram?rez signed with the Boston Red Sox as an International Free Agent in July 2000. He was discovered by scouts and was considered the top prospect in the Boston Red Sox organization. Dan Duquette was the Gm then.

Marlins, Orioles Talking Trades

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 24, 2012 at 1:31pm CST]

The Marlins and Orioles are discussing trade scenarios, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports (on Twitter). Miami is "knee deep" in trade talks and could complete a blockbuster in the next 24 hours, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio reports (on Twitter).

Marlins, Orioles Talking Trades

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 24, 2012 at 1:31pm CST]

The Marlins and Orioles are discussing trade scenarios, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports (on Twitter). Miami is "knee deep" in trade talks and could complete a blockbuster in the next 24 hours, Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio reports (on Twitter).

uh oh - this kind of scares me

You had me until Gausman. Not only is that too much, but I don't think it's within the rules to trade a player the same year he's drafted. I could be wrong, though. Anyone know?

Thats why it would be PTBNL. Trade him after he is eligible to be traded to Miami.

You had me until Gausman. Not only is that too much, but I don't think it's within the rules to trade a player the same year he's drafted. I could be wrong, though. Anyone know?

Gausman can't be traded for a year, but he can be included in a list of players to be named later which is finalized in a year.

Not sure what is too much since we don't know what is coming back. We could be getting HanRam, JJ and LoMo or two of those three or less. Just saying we might be able to make an offer that excludes Bundy/Machado and still might net a tremendous amount.

Getting a little crazier, we could move Hardy and promote Machado.

I am sure a lot of things are on the table with the focus being LF (Pence, LoMo, etc), 3B (HanRam, Headley), SP and possibly 1B.

I think adding a legit 3/4 hitter to compliment Jones, Nick and Wieters is a big deal as well as an quality SP to go alongside Hammel, Chen, Britton/Tillman.

And the shadows of 2005 continue to follow the 2012 Baltimore Orioles. It couldn't be anyone besides the Marlins? Of course, looking back at that trade (Bigbie, Penn, and Julio for Burnett, Lowell, and Eric Reed), we all wish that Angelos hadn't vetoed that, so I am going to say that I think trading anyone except for Bundy or Machado is fine.

Also, Don Olsen tweeted that this discussion was about Hanley, but nothing was close.

Regarding Gausman, he cannot be traded within a year of signing his contract and a PTBNL has to be named within 6 months of agreement. He is not an option.

Archived