Will Machado hit for power?

Fired-Up

Who's being impatient? I'm honestly curious. People are happy - nobody's saying he's going to sustain, among other things, a SLG over 1.000.

I'm happy as hell too, don't get me wrong. And clearly nobody is saying that.

I'm just saying look at Harper. We could easily be having the conversation in 8 months that Machado was rushed and needs to go back down. Or hell, again, so I'm clear I'm not endorsing this position, that his bat is slow. That was a rare criticism of Markakis 4 years ago, and much more frequent a year ago. I'm just saying.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair enough.

I would like to say, just so I can't be accused of being w/o substance, those first two homers were on bad, hanging breaking stuff, and don't really negate the argument that he has slow bat speed. (Not that, as I've made clear, I endorse that argument.)

What was this last one on? (I don't get to watch the games in real time.)

You do realize that 95% of the HRs hit in baseball are off bad pitches right? Its rare someone hits one out off a great pitch.

Its what you do with bad pitches that counts and this kid has 3hrs in 4 games. Give him some credit. Not to mention a triple and double

You do realize that 95% of the HRs hit in baseball are off bad pitches right? Its rare someone hits one out off a great pitch.

Its what you do with bad pitches that counts and this kid has 3hrs in 4 games. Give him some credit. Not to mention a triple and double

I'll give him all the credit in the world. He's looked fantastic.

I actually was more impressed with Manny on that first triple than if he pulled a 94mph fastball. That was a piece of hitting. Young hitter in his first game, 2-strike count, off speed pitch away--like really away--kept his hands back, his balance and drove it. Conventional wisdom says young hitters hit fastballs. To have one that has shown he can adjust to and drive breaking stuff is heartening.

How many times has Palmer mentioned Machado's bat-speed in the last two days? Clearly, he knows far less than FU.

Palmer and every major credible scout out there talk about his bat speed as a + tool and compliment his fluid batting motion. The kid has come up and demonstrated this pretty clearly. Surely he will, like any other young player go through periods were things do not come as easy but anyone with two eyes in there head can see that even at 20 he is in a different class than most the players on the field any given night. Best of all he seems unfazed by it. None of us really now just how good Manny will end up being, lot of that is yet to be written but looking at him its pretty obvious that he is headed into elite company if he continues to develop the way he has. FU is entitled to his position, just as I could sit on here and argue the world is flat, does not make me right, but I have the right to do it.

FU is entitled to his position, just as I could sit on here and argue the world is flat, does not make me right, but I have the right to do it.

The O.H. is not the home of "All opinions are valid." If you argue that, you will probably be ridiculed, as long as no profanity or personal attacks occur. ;)

The O.H. is not the home of "All opinions are valid." If you argue that, you will probably be ridiculed, as long as no profanity or personal attacks occur. ;)

Totally agree, when I am wrong expect to be playfully ridiculed also .... that's just how it goes on any forum. :)

First things first, he needs to master the Baltimore Chop.

Yeah, his choppers leave a lot to be desired. Two ways to be a good Baltimore Chop hitter: really good accuracy, based on great bat accuracy and ability to direct the ball between infielders, or brute bounce strength, based on brute strength--like Miguel Cabrera--especially in the wrist area so that you can propel the ball against the ground. That's the key to the brute force Baltimore Chop. The accuracy Baltimore chop is more of a Curtis Granderson thing, he's just got those quick wrists and knows how to get the bat where he needs it.

Archived