My 7 years Hiatus from Camden Yards is now over!

Roll Tide

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta love those fair-weather Baltimore sports fans. The only real fans are the 10-15K who have been going to games every year for the past 14 seasons.

Hey, when it's a five hour drive you want a reasonable chance of seeing a decent game.

These two posts nail it for me.

I am an Orioles fan. I go to about 10 games a year, and watch 99% of the others on TV. I don't criticize those who don't go, and I don't bemoan anyone for their reasons for staying home. But when someone is as openly critical about Angelos and has stated the reason he doesn't go is because of Peter Angelos, I wonder why now, when we're winning for the first time in 14 years, that THIS would be the time to take in a ballgame?

As for Paul, I don't think anyone was critical of you at all, but maybe I missed what you were responding to?

It's clear to me that the OP is insecure about himself and is in fact a bandwagon fan. Hmmmm, let's see. I do not support ownership and haven't attended a game in over seven years. All of the sudden, the orioles are good and it's back to Camden Yards for me.

I don't think you can call someone a fairweather fan for not being at the ballpark the past few years. If said person still supports the team by watching games on tv or buying fan gear, they are not fairweather fans. fairweather fans are ones who only support the team when they are winning. Also its pretty expensive to go to a game and some people can't justify that in their budget.

I don't think you can call someone a fairweather fan for not being at the ballpark the past few years. If said person still supports the team by watching games on tv or buying fan gear' date=' they are not fairweather fans. fairweather fans are ones who only support the team when they are winning. Also its pretty expensive to go to a game and some people can't justify that in their budget.[/quote']

Yep. I've made the same comment about not being able to justify spending money on a game,with the increase of costs everywhere else. And was told there's no excuse not to go to a game now. Hell, 80 bucks is the difference between food on the table some months. Its really a joke to call out people for not going. And to those calling people fair weather fans? Who do you think was filling camden yards in 96 and 97?

It's clear to me that the OP is insecure about himself and is in fact a bandwagon fan. Hmmmm, let's see. I do not support ownership and haven't attended a game in over seven years. All of the sudden, the orioles are good and it's back to Camden Yards for me.

Johnny is a good guy, just frustrated with how the past 15 years have gone. I don't blame people for having stayed away. It was crap baseball for a long time. Not much effort was made to bring in good pitching, or revamp the system to develop pitching properly.

To paint Johnny as "insecure" is an outlandish jab, and to paint him as "bandwagoner" is to put him in company of much of the people of Baltimore. He wasn't the only one not attending those games! We're talking about an entire generation that has not seen winning Orioles baseball, we're not talking about 2-3 down years sandwiched between some playoff runs.

Johnny has posted passionately here for a long time, he has followed the team closely during the crap years, he has over 9000 posts here, those opinions are off-base.

No worries Johnny. You are a true fan. Those who think you have to attend to be a true fan are simply people with an idiotic opinion. Just like they look at people like me who think you are a true fan as a person with an idiotic opinion.

Who cares. We know the truth. No worries man. Glad you had a good time.

Johnny is a good guy, just frustrated with how the past 15 years have gone. I don't blame people for having stayed away. It was crap baseball for a long time. Not much effort was made to bring in good pitching, or revamp the system to develop pitching properly.

To paint Johnny as "insecure" is an outlandish jab, and to paint him as "bandwagoner" is to put him in company of much of the people of Baltimore. He wasn't the only one not attending those games! We're talking about an entire generation that has not seen winning Orioles baseball, we're not talking about 2-3 down years sandwiched between some playoff runs.

Johnny has posted passionately here for a long time, he has followed the team closely during the crap years, he has over 9000 posts here, those opinions are off-base.

I do not base being a true fan on whether a fan attends games or not. I base it on the fact that all of the sudden, the OP ends his seven year hiatus because we are finally good. You know I'm right.

I do not base being a true fan on whether a fan attends games or not. I base it on the fact that all of the sudden, the OP ends his seven year hiatus because we are finally good. You know I'm right.

All that shows to me is an Orioles fan who wants to see his team do well. The last 14 years has shown us to not take these things for granite. Can't blame someone for taking the opportunity to take this season in. The true fans of the orioles deserve a benefit of a doubt. We've all earned that right.

I don't think you can call someone a fairweather fan for not being at the ballpark the past few years. If said person still supports the team by watching games on tv or buying fan gear' date=' they are not fairweather fans. fairweather fans are ones who only support the team when they are winning. Also its pretty expensive to go to a game and some people can't justify that in their budget.[/quote']
Yep. I've made the same comment about not being able to justify spending money on a game,with the increase of costs everywhere else. And was told there's no excuse not to go to a game now. Hell, 80 bucks is the difference between food on the table some months. Its really a joke to call out people for not going. And to those calling people fair weather fans? Who do you think was filling camden yards in 96 and 97?

I'll know you guys are speaking in generality's, and I did not nor do I ever call anyone a fair weather fan. BUT, I do think its hypocritical to state "I do not go to the Orioles game to spite Peter Angelos" and then suddenly decide to go when we have our first winning season in 14 years.

If you can't afford to go (and trust me, that's why I don't go as much as I'd like to) then there is nothing, NOTHING, wrong with staying home and watching on TV. But that's not what the OP said...he said he stayed home for 7 years because of Peter Angelos. And he's yet to answer the question posed by others as to why he came back, since other than the record, nothing has changed.

This is interesting. I'd like to hear more if you don't mind.

I know a guy who refused to attend an O's game until they were .500 after the All-Star Game.

I shall inform him that for 13 years or whatever it was, he was not a true fan.

He will laugh. Me too.

Are you even reading what people are writing? No one has said that. No one. We're just curious why someone who claims he didn't go BECAUSE of Peter Angelos suddenly changed his mind?

Are you even reading what people are writing? No one has said that. No one. We're just curious why someone who claims he didn't go BECAUSE of Peter Angelos suddenly changed his mind?

Between losing and PA lies, there hasn't been many reasons to go. I don't see how people can begrudge a fan for enjoying this season. Your right, nothing has changed. Angelos is still a bad owner and the O's are winning in spite of him. And that's even more of a reason to cut johnny some slack. There's no gurantee Angelos will put money into this team to make it better next year. Why fault johnny for knowing that, and not wanting to miss out on this?

Archived