My 7 years Hiatus from Camden Yards is now over!

Roll Tide

Well since your point has regurgitated several times and I finally have gotten in from work I will try to answer your question.

I've been a Orioles fan and going to games since 1977 when I was a just a kid. Since 1983 I have watched the Orioles produce next to nothing in homegrown talent. When Angelos 1st purchased the team he treated it like a hobby and purchased a quality mostly from free agency. Something popped in the late 90s and he started treating the Orioles like a out of town owner who cared for little more than profit. Whats worse is he allowed the Expos to move into DC and with the guarantee of MASN, and a selling deal. Basically double crossing the fans. He fired the good baseball people that were working for the organization like the Gillicks, Wrens, D Johnson's and for a extended period replaced them with less competent people usually willing to work on the cheap. During all this I had cancelled my season tickets and eventually stopped going to games. My attitude is that Angelos wasnt investing in the team controlled by his puppets. Oh and to further address the fair weather crap I've probably spent a whole more money to watch losing baseball than the name callers in this thread.

What has changed for me.... With the hiring of Duquette I feel much better about the direction of the club. It is slowly starting to produce drafted talent and things are looking up. Duquette said in the off season that as the attendance increased so would the payroll. So I am holding him to his word. I still dont like Angelos and ownership cant change so enough for me. I still really dont want to give Angelos my hard earned money and dont know if I will go back this year.

Fast forward to the other day

Thats said I enjoyed a ball game on a sunny 80 degree day and figured my friends from my favorite blog site about my favorite baseball team would be happy for me. I never thought this thread would draw such criticism from basically new or nonposting members obviously bored with the Sun sight and are now allowed post here for free. Which I hate by the way... Paying for this site has IMO kept away the dreck.

You certainly arent the only one to feel this way. When I was standing there and the introduced Hunter, Murray and Lou Angelos, Lou was clearly booed. And for those who were there, they weren't chanting "Louuuuu".. It was clearly "boooo".

I support the players on the field but it doesnt mean I have to support ownership. The Orioles are a great story because they are exceeding any expectations, and in my opinion, I dont really believe that Angelos did anything as far as free agency that gave us the clear bump in the standings. Instead, I believe DD is the guy making it work.

Has King Pete made it to any of the statue unveilings?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People can be fans whenever they want and cease being fans whenever they want; it's really insignificant to me. Life is too short for spite over a game. People who were Red Sox bandwagoners last year and Orioles bandwagoners this year are every bit as welcome to high5 me when Kakes hits a home run as the most dedicated fan (which IMO is Tony or PaulFolk or weams since they're all incredible with the maintenance of this website ;)).

Live the moment and enjoy the game. If you've been an Orioles fan since you were in your mother's womb and you're 108, great. If you've been an Orioles fan since August 12, 2012, great. The Orioles need everyone to cheer for them and attend the games, and it's irrelevant how often or how much you do it or for how long -- all that matters is that you do it. The only people who aren't true Orioles fans are people who root for other teams or no team at all ;)

And the ownership is irrelevant. Pay no mind to them. There's no such thing as a selfless baseball executive who truly wants their team to win. Every single last one of them sees exactly one thing when they look at that stadium full of people cheering on their team: money. That's right, dollar signs. There are ZERO exceptions, nor have there ever been in the entire history of commercial professional baseball. So don't think that killing off the Angelos line and replacing them with someone else is going to amount to a hill of beans. It's not. So just ignore them like they deserve and focus on the people who matter; the players.

People can be fans whenever they want and cease being fans whenever they want; it's really insignificant to me. Life is too short for spite over a game. People who were Red Sox bandwagoners last year and Orioles bandwagoners this year are every bit as welcome to high5 me when Kakes hits a home run as the most dedicated fan (which IMO is Tony or PaulFolk or weams since they're all incredible with the maintenance of this website ;)).

Live the moment and enjoy the game. If you've been an Orioles fan since you were in your mother's womb and you're 108, great. If you've been an Orioles fan since August 12, 2012, great. The Orioles need everyone to cheer for them and attend the games, and it's irrelevant how often or how much you do it or for how long -- all that matters is that you do it. The only people who aren't true Orioles fans are people who root for other teams or no team at all ;)

And the ownership is irrelevant. Pay no mind to them. There's no such thing as a selfless baseball executive who truly wants their team to win. Every single last one of them sees exactly one thing when they look at that stadium full of people cheering on their team: money. That's right, dollar signs. There are ZERO exceptions, nor have there ever been in the entire history of commercial professional baseball. So don't think that killing off the Angelos line and replacing them with someone else is going to amount to a hill of beans. It's not. So just ignore them like they deserve and focus on the people who matter; the players.

I agree, all owners do focus on the bottom line. But I disagree that new ownership wouldn't change anything. Look what new ownership did in LA. I know LA is a bigger market, but Angelos has told us that MASN would allow us to compete more financially. If he had no intentions of that, just keep it to himself. He needs to focus on WHO matters....The fans. This team is winning despite alot of holes. The true test will be if Angelos allows DD to fill some of those holes this winter, and build off this season. I have my doubts, and I hope Im wrong. Until then, like you said, just sit back and enjoy.

You certainly arent the only one to feel this way. When I was standing there and the introduced Hunter, Murray and Lou Angelos, Lou was clearly booed. And for those who were there, they weren't chanting "Louuuuu".. It was clearly "boooo".

I support the players on the field but it doesnt mean I have to support ownership. The Orioles are a great story because they are exceeding any expectations, and in my opinion, I dont really believe that Angelos did anything as far as free agency that gave us the clear bump in the standings. Instead, I believe DD is the guy making it work.

Has King Pete made it to any of the statue unveilings?

Not sure if you're being snarky or really don't know? Peter has purposely stayed away because he knows he would be booed at an event that should be honoring the Orioles legends. And if he was there, people would complain about him being there and stealing the spotlight. The man can't win for trying.

And for what its worth, my opinion only here, but the "boooing" of Lou Angelos as we're honoring the greatest Orioles ever to play the game, is beyond reprehensible!

No further explaining needs to be done. He suddenly shows up at an Orioles game after a seven year hiatus. Does winning have to do with it? Gee, I think it does.

What about people who don't have a reference to the Orioles in their screen name? Is their fandom less than those who do? Can you tell us more about how we should rank who is the best/biggest fan?

Not sure if you're being snarky or really don't know? Peter has purposely stayed away because he knows he would be booed at an event that should be honoring the Orioles legends. And if he was there, people would complain about him being there and stealing the spotlight. The man can't win for trying.

And for what its worth, my opinion only here, but the "boooing" of Lou Angelos as we're honoring the greatest Orioles ever to play the game, is beyond reprehensible!

Angelos has brought that onto himself. And believe me, I've heard Angelos has done great things outside of baseball. So this isn't personal, purely in regards to his status as owner of the Orioles. I do agree though, if your going to honor a legend, focus on that moment.

I wasn't being snarky. I did not know that.

OOODIPPER 9o

I call myself a real fan and I've only gone to about 3-4 games a year on average over the last 14 seasons. I've gone to a lot more this year. Is it only because we are finally playing better baseball? You bet it is, what of it?

It's more fun to watch a better product on the field. I will change my plans now to go to a game instead of going when I don't have anything better to do. If that makes me "fair weather" then we have different definitions of the word.

The "real" oriole fans, to me at least, are the ones that are still oriole fans. The fair weather fans are the ones who were, and probably still are rocking red sox and yankees gear.

Times are tough and I would never assume it's my place to tell anyone what they should do with their had earned dollars. I'm glad that the OP went and had a good time. If you haven't been yet this year, you should go. It really is more fun than it's been in a while.

If you've stuck with this team thru thick and thicker over the past decade or so, then you're good with me. I don't care if it was in the stands, on your couch, on a bar stool or wherever. Just keep wearing the orange and black with pride.

I have been to every statue ceremony and the booing of Lou Angelos has certainly been less at each subsequent event. There are more "Lou" than "Boo" now. And rightfully so!

Why shouldn't he get booed? They have ruined baseball in Baltimore.

Why shouldn't he get booed? They have ruined baseball in Baltimore.

If you are a divorced Father and you go to your daughter's wedding, do you pick a fight with your ex wife?

Same thing applies here.

And if you answered YES to either of the scenarios above, well then you're just an ignorant person.

If you are a divorced Father and you go to your daughter's wedding, do you pick a fight with your ex wife?

Same thing applies here.

And if you answered YES to either of the scenarios above, well then you're just an ignorant person.

Those are two completely different scenarios. You are begging the question and trying to bait me into willfully replying to an ignorant response.

Those are two completely different scenarios. You are begging the question and trying to bait me into willfully replying to an ignorant response.

OK, say I'm at your wedding. And during the exchange of vows, I look over and notice that Lou Angelos is also in the church. Should I stand up and start booing him?

Archived