With 45 games to go, .400 ball gets us to .500+

Frobby

The O's are now 64-53 with 45 games to play. 18 wins gets them to 82 for the season. That requires only .400 baseball from here on out.

Right now, I'm focused more on the ~26 wins it would take to assure a playoff spot than the 18 wins it would take to be over .500 for the season. Since it is actually possible to aim high, that's what I'm doing. Heck, Buck says he is still focused on catching the Yankees, who "only" have a six game lead on us. Hey, we need to make up less than one win per week to catch them, so why not?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The O's are now 64-53 with 45 games to play. 18 wins gets them to 82 for the season. That requires only .400 baseball from here on out.

Right now, I'm focused more on the ~26 wins it would take to assure a playoff spot than the 18 wins it would take to be over .500 for the season. Since it is actually possible to aim high, that's what I'm doing. Heck, Buck says he is still focused on catching the Yankees, who "only" have a six game lead on us. Hey, we need to make up less than one win per week to catch them, so why not?

Indeed.

Is 26-19 really that unrealistic for this team?

During last night's game, they showed a graphic with our record per month. I was surprised to see that we broke out in April and have more or less maintained .500 since then...where are the 7 games over .500 going to come from over the next month and a half?

During last night's game, they showed a graphic with our record per month. I was surprised to see that we broke out in April and have more or less maintained .500 since then...where are the 7 games over .500 going to come from over the next month and a half?

If Reynolds and Hardy finally get hot... and the pitching holds up... ya never know...

How does 26 more wins assure a playoff spot?

I feel that 90 wins is safe. Technically, it assures nothing, but none of the wild card competitors is currently on pace to win 90, so if the O's do it, I'm confident there won't be two teams that top it.

After Tonight:

AUGUST

3 @ Det

3 @ Tex

3 vs Tor

3 vs CWS

AUG/ SEP

3 @ NY

3 @ Tor

4 vs NY

3 vs TB

3 @ Oak

3 @ Sea

3 @ Bos

3 vs Tor

3 vs Bos

OCTOBER

3 @ TB

That's pretty rough. Detroit and Texas coming up will be hard. It's nice that we've beat up on Boston this year but we can't take them for granted. It's a hard road ahead, but anything can happen.

That's pretty rough. Detroit and Texas coming up will be hard. It's nice that we've beat up on Boston this year but we can't take them for granted. It's a hard road ahead, but anything can happen.

I really hate September in general!

13 division games to start the month (7 against MFY)

3 games at TB, then no day off to Oakland and Seatle for 6 games!

Day off on the way to Boston for 3...hippie!

Straight home for 3 with Toronto, thanks...

Boston again at home

Then TB in October for 3 to finish the season.

This schedule is brutal

Looking at that schedule I'm going to say we need to do the following to get to 90. I'm assuming we win tonight and only need 25 more wins to get there.

@ Det/Tex (3 wins)

Home vs Tor/CWS (4 wins)

@ NY/TOR (3 wins)

Home vs NY/TB (3 wins)

@ OAK/SEA/BOS (6 wins)

Home vs TOR/BOS (4 wins)

@ TB (2 wins)

Archived